• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

Grassi21

Stinger is arguably one of Sundown's best trails - decent pitch, and a few nice turns. It's not overly wide like Gunbarrel either. The issue is that Sundown just lacks terrain and has to put the park somewhere. However, my read of the Sundown Challenge is that they are planning to cut a new trail for the terrain park. That would be the best option. I was up there over the summer and didn't see any trail clearing so I doubt much will change this season. With that said, Stinger can still be fun even with the terrain park. On one powder day, I skied skier's left, right along the trees and found some sweet lines without getting in the way of anyone hitting the park elements:

Granted, that was early December there weren't many elements on the run that early in the season anyway.

We took one run down Stinger at the end of the season. I liked the feel of the trail but it was very icy that day and covered with elements. Looking forward to some early Dec. runs at Sundown this season.

2knees

We took one run down Stinger at the end of the season. I liked the feel of the trail but it was very icy that day and covered with elements. Looking forward to some early Dec. runs at Sundown this season.

yeah, even though you can still ski the edges of stinger, once the park is really set up, the kids sideslip everything before and after the hits. They basically strip the trail completely of any snow. You can hear them skidding down as you ride the lift.

Grassi21

yeah, even though you can still ski the edges of stinger, once the park is really set up, the kids sideslip everything before and after the hits. They basically strip the trail completely of any snow. You can hear them skidding down as you ride the lift.

That sounds is like nails on a chalk board.

Greg

Staff member

I've found that snow on terrain park trails can be very good right along the trees, mostly due to the fact that the park rats push all that LGR to the sides. Grassi - as you build your skill set, you will feel more comfortable making short turns right along the trees, where normally the best snow can be found.

Grassi21

I've found that snow on terrain park trails can be very good right along the trees, mostly due to the fact that the park rats push all that LGR to the sides. Grassi - as you build your skill set, you will feel more comfortable making short turns right along the trees, where normally the best snow can be found.

The sides of the trail are like my brass ring. Since most of my days will be in CT and Southern New England I will need to take advantage of the sides.

loafer89

I just had to ask if kids are allowed to join in on our mid week get togethers, because skiing without my son would be asking for trouble:wink:

I work only 20 miles away from Sundown and could probably be there at 5:30 - 6:00pm.

Greg

Staff member
I just had to ask if kids are allowed to join in on our mid week get togethers, because skiing without my son would be asking for trouble:wink:
Of course he's "allowed"...

Grassi21

I work only 20 miles away from Sundown and could probably be there at 5:30 - 6:00pm.

Wouldn't bother me. After reading about all of the mountains you guys have skied, I'm thinking he can probably show me a thing or two. ;-)

loafer89

Wouldn't bother me. After reading about all of the mountains you guys have skied, I'm thinking he can probably show me a thing or two. ;-)

Well despite all the skiing he has done he still is very conservative with his skiing speed, so I do not want to hold anyone up. But Sundown is small enough for him to make some turns on his own.

He is already nagging his old man for some October turns:daffy: October would be his 9th month of skiing.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Well despite all the skiing he has done he still is very conservative with his skiing speed, so I do not want to hold anyone up. But Sundown is small enough for him to make some turns on his own.

He is already nagging his old man for some October turns:daffy: October would be his 9th month of skiing.
He made it down Jericho...Sundown should be a breeze for him.

2knees

he's not going to hold anyone up, we may hold him up. Bring him with you definitely.

madskier6

I'll be bringing one or two of my children on occasion so you won't be alone. How old is your son?

loafer89

He skied it with me last January and took a fall while trying to ski on some boilerplate, so he is shy of that trail and it is fairly steep in parts.

Warren has his reasons for things, so I try hard not to push him too much. I am happy that I got him down from 11,000' at Mammoth, but he really wanted to do that anyway and ride the gondola.

Greg

Staff member
He skied it with me last January and took a fall while trying to ski on some boilerplate, so he is shy of that trail and it is fairly steep in parts.

Warren has his reasons for things, so I try hard not to push him too much. I am happy that I got him down from 11,000' at Mammoth, but he really wanted to do that anyway and ride the gondola.

Nice. No sense in pressuring the kid. Sounds like the approach I plan to take with my daughter this season. If we can get out for 60 minutes at a stretch, I'll be happy. Actually, even less than that is fine. She's still only 3 so she won't be at any Wed. nights.

madskier6

My son is 6 and will be 7 in late January.

Cool. My youngest son is 8 (9 in March). The other gung-ho skier (snowboarder actually) among my children will be 13 in November. I'll bring one or both of them on Wednesdays from time to time. It should be fun.

loafer89

The plan right now is to send our son to private school near the office in Windsor, so he will be close by and easy to drop off/pick up from work. That being the case I will probably be bringing him with me 50% of the time after school, though we may only stay until 8pm at the latest in order to get him home by 9.

I have not done the drive to Sundown from work, but it is only 20 miles. Rush hour traffic may make it a hassle.

madskier6

The plan right now is to send our son to private school near the office in Windsor, so he will be close by and easy to drop off/pick up from work. That being the case I will probably be bringing him with me 50% of the time after school, though we may only stay until 8pm at the latest in order to get him home by 9.

I have not done the drive to Sundown from work, but it is only 20 miles. Rush hour traffic may make it a hassle.

My office is also in Windsor so I'll be doing that same drive. I can't imagine there would be that much traffic (even during rush hour) going from Windsor out to Sundown. I also have not done the drive myself but I'd be surprised if it gets that congested.