• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

loafer89

My office is also in Windsor so I'll be doing that same drive. I can't imagine there would be that much traffic (even during rush hour) going from Windsor out to Sundown. I also have not done the drive myself but I'd be surprised if it gets that congested.

Hopefully you are correct although Mapquest has it taking 40 minutes to drive the 21 miles to the ski area from Bloomfield. Canton has alot of traffic lights and it can take 5-10 minutes just to get through there if it is congested. We where looking for a house there and decided against it as one lane roads would make me crazy after a while.

I preffer to fly along on a highway as the rest of the people from Connecticut seem to do:-o I find myself doing 75-85mph, or even more just to keep pace with the majority of the traffic on I-91 and I-84.

Greg

Staff member
Picked up my pass on Friday so I'm ready to go. The guns are out. They installed a nice new patio made up of pavers between the shop and the deck. The mountain is waiting for cold and the word is some tweaks to the snowmaking system should allow for efficient snowmaking. Pray for cold and an early opening.

Grassi21

I noticed the guns too. I had my pic taken for my savings card. My hike this weekend was the first time I hiked a ski area. Its really cool to see what we get to ski over in the winter.

loafer89

I am wondering which ski area, Sundown or Wachusett will be easier and more convenient to get to. Sundown is 42 miles away but takes 48 minutes to get to while Wachusett is 72 miles away, but only takes one hour and 8 minutes to get to according to my GPS.

Wachusett seems to be nearly 90% highway from Coventry.

Greg

Staff member
I am wondering which ski area, Sundown or Wachusett will be easier and more convenient to get to. Sundown is 42 miles away but takes 48 minutes to get to while Wachusett is 72 miles away, but only takes one hour and 8 minutes to get to according to my GPS.

Wachusett seems to be nearly 90% highway from Coventry.

Traitor.

;)

loafer89

No, no I will do plenty of skiing at Sundown as it is very close to work. We have to move though first and Nancy is still pregnant in the wrong place, so I have a few priorities to take care of first.

By the way the exact survey altitude of my house is 815.6' so you have me beat.

loafer89

How much did you pay for the pass? With an ASC pass for both my son and I in hand another resort pass would be a little to much for our skiing budget. We hope to be in the new house by Thanksgiving, before the start of the season for Sundown.

Greg

Staff member
It's coming!

Okay. Time to bump this one again. Here's the crew again so far:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89
Grassi21
madskier6

Others are welcome. Feel free to reply to this thread. I'm hoping we can get started here in 3 or 4 weeks, November 29 or December 6. I've seen Sundown open as late as mid-December though, but you never know. Just a reminder - Sundown opened on December 3 and saw a 1' powder day on December 9 so it's close folks! I should be able to get to the mountain normally by 7:30; hopefully earlier some nights. On quality Wednesdays I will aim to head up straight from work and can be there as early as 5 pm. Again, the meeting spot will be at the sundeck at the top of every hour.

BeanoNYC

As said before...I will try to make a guest appearance or two. Kinda hard as a teacher and being far away.

Grassi21

I should be able to get to the mountain normally by 7:30; hopefully earlier some nights. On quality Wednesdays I will aim to head up straight from work and can be there as early as 5 pm. Again, the meeting spot will be at the sundeck at the top of every hour.

I will be there as soon as the night skiing session starts at 6 PM. My goal is to leave the office by 4 pm so I can grab a bite to eat, digest, and leisurely make my way up there. I plan on using every minute of that 6 - 10 night skiing window. Due to a business trip, the first Wed. night I will be at Sundown will be 12/13. I hope I get a chance to meet a few of you before December.

2knees

i'll probably be getting there in the 7 to 7:30 range. Honestly, until they seed nor' easter, i probably wont be heading there every week, but once it's set up, it's ON.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll be able to make it there by 7:30ish on a few Wednesdays. I'll probably be working Tues and Thurs nights so it'll be hard to get away from the family 3 nights in a row every week.

Greg

Staff member
i'll probably be getting there in the 7 to 7:30 range. Honestly, until they seed nor' easter, i probably wont be heading there every week, but once it's set up, it's ON.

Let's just pray for consistent cold, or at least consistent coolness. Based on [POST="67127"]this post[/POST] by Brian, it seems they had initially seeded Nor'easter in early January. But they must have had to mow them down during the crappy warm weeks that followed. Hopefully, we'll get a seeded run soon after the Christmas break!

bvibert

Staff member
Yup they definitely had them setup earlier and then had to mow them down due to poor weather...

madskier6

I should be able to make it to Sundown sometime between 6:30 and 7:00. Not sure if I'll be able to make many Wednesdays in December but will start hitting it regularly in Jan. and Feb. I'm looking forward to skiing with you folks.

ssusca

Just stumbled upon this thread. I’ll definitely try to make a few Wednesdays this year. Probably won’t happen until January. The problem will be with my wife and my 3 year old daughter. My wife will be pissed that I get to go make some turns while she has to stay home and take care of Marlee. For that reason, I don’t see it being an every week thing. We may however be able to put the grandparents to work a couple of times and then we can both go.

I get out of work (in Hamden) around 5:00 so I can probably be all suited up and on the slopes by 6:30.

Greg

Staff member
Some more consistent cold coming in this weekend. Maybe we can get started here on December 6? Worse case December 13.Only a couple weeks away!

Grassi21

I'm staying in a hotel around Saint Lazare (spelling?) in Paris. I saw a woman walking towards the train station with a ski boot bag over her shoulder. I so badly wanted to hop a train South and check out the Alps. But now that my wife officially can't ski this season I can't drag her down there with me.

I'm praying for some snow making temps. I'd like to hit something in CT or MA 12/9 or 10. If my wife doesn't have to travel for business on 12/13 I will be able to make it. It would suck to make my first turns at Hunter with the whole gang on 12/15.

Greg

Staff member
I'm praying for some snow making temps. I'd like to hit something in CT or MA 12/9 or 10. If my wife doesn't have to travel for business on 12/13 I will be able to make it. It would suck to make my first turns at Hunter with the whole gang on 12/15.

I'm going somewhere on Friday, 12/8. Most likely Hunter or Jiminy...