• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the damage?

KD7000

I'm wondering how far north I'd have to go to get somewhere decent on Friday? I generally avoid vacation week, but I'm looking to take my daughter up to NH or VT. Had been eyeballing Ragged before the tropical meltdown...

steamboat1

I'm wondering how far north I'd have to go to get somewhere decent on Friday? I generally avoid vacation week, but I'm looking to take my daughter up to NH or VT. Had been eyeballing Ragged before the tropical meltdown...

Pretty far north. I believe Tremblant & the Quebec City areas got all snow out of this weather system. A bit far for a day trip I'd say.

Smellytele

I still had a good amount of snow in my yard this morning when I left in Henniker. Pats Peak actually came through this pretty good. Not including glade trails they have 25 of 26 trails open still. Saturday the place was skiing great with spring like conditions and the only brown spot I saw was over in the new area where they had groomed a little to low. Sunday they didn't get much rain and it stayed around 35 the whole day. Not sure what it looks like today.
I would think Crotched would be okay as well seeing they are so close to each other.

KD7000

As someone said, it's snowing at Jay.
Sweet! Except, like I said:
Yeah, Canada is a bit out of range.
:lol:

If conditions were spectacular, I'd consider driving up late Friday and skiing Saturday. But unless there is some crazy snow action this week it'll be marginal at best.

We skied Pat's last year and had a great time. I'd consider Crotched; I'll have to keep an eye on trail reports as the week goes on.

mbedle

They closed our local place to help preserve the incredible base they got down already. As previously stated, cold coming back tonight, so hopefully a recovery will come quick. Heading up to Stratton and Okemo this week - should be interesting.

drjeff

What wouldn't surprise me at all too see over the next couple of days, especially since typically they're slower volume days (even during this Holiday week) is to see some areas purposely keep some "redundant" snowmaking trails closed for a day or 2, keep the cats off them, and let some water drain out of the saturated snow pack. Then that way they're more likely if they've got an adequate base, to be able to work the snow via some machine grooming to get a nice, skiable surface without the death cookies that tend to show up when you groom too wet of a freshly frozen surface.

The core snowmaking trails, or any that need either a few touch up spots or worst case an almost full rebasing snowmaking wise will be 1st under the guns, but if there's far more acreage to resurrect ahead of Thursday, when typically the BIG crowds will start showing up, than there is snowmaking capacity, don't be at all surprised to see more than a few mountain ops managers look to manage their snowsurfaces via some good old fashioned patience before grooming. This also just might be the proper time frame and weather window to utilize this option in certain cases

Tin

This will be a good week to let injuries, soreness, and the mountains recover while the kiddos run into one another and slow the lifts down.

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
I would second what's been said. Head way North. Jay and the Mansfield area probably made out the best from this as they didn't have the massive inversion seen South of there.

I was at Stratton yesterday, and holy crap did they lose a ton of snow - it was in the mid 60's with some serious sustained warm wind. I would venture to guess that all of the natural snow is gone today (it was 90% bare yesterday). It felt like late April.

It's going to be a clusterF when this freezes and temps get down to the teens tonight. Dust on crust anyone?

If you can, head north...

drjeff

I would second what's been said. Head way North. Jay and the Mansfield area probably made out the best from this as they didn't have the massive inversion seen South of there.

I was at Stratton yesterday, and holy crap did they lose a ton of snow - it was in the mid 60's with some serious sustained warm wind. I would venture to guess that all of the natural snow is gone today (it was 90% bare yesterday). It felt like late April.

It's going to be a clusterF when this freezes and temps get down to the teens tonight. Dust on crust anyone?

If you can, wait until Thursday...

Fixed it for you! ;)

I whole heartedly believe that for the majority of ski resorts, who have anything resembling "decent" snowmaking firepower, the next 60 or so hours of full maxed out snowmaking system running and VERY good temps, will turn this into a "good" X-mas vacation week for what the majority of the masses (and mind you the typical AZ crew here isn't the "typical" masses) want. Good, machine made/machine groomed packed powder/loose granular surfaces, and if anything it will help show more of the "masses" what major snowmaking can do, which isn't a bad thing for future business IMHO

snoseek

Whatever. I would still much rather be somewhere like sunday river next week than anywhere in Tahoe. 2013 is the driest year on record for the state of California. Ever. You all have snowmaking and as Drjeff points out key areas will rebound quick. Here the skiing is just awful, with no sign in the future of improvement....in fact what little we have is melting a little more everyday. Fuck this place!