• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the damage?

Glenn

I haven't been out since the 24th. The mountain lost a lot of snow. But they've been making snow since the 24th. I'd be curious to hear how the recovery was going. Lines on the webcams look pretty long...good for business.

drjeff

I haven't been out since the 24th. The mountain lost a lot of snow. But they've been making snow since the 24th. I'd be curious to hear how the recovery was going. Lines on the webcams look pretty long...good for business.

The recovery effort at Mount Snow has been pretty good! Generally speaking back to machine groomed backed powder after a bunch of snowmaking. Are there some spots on narrow points of main trails that get scraped down to the bulletproof base later on in the day, yup, are there a few spots with the occasional "death cookie", yup, but those are in the minority.

The crowds yesterday (the 26th) weren't bad at all, but there was LOTS of arriving traffic as I was leaving yesterday, so the holiday masses have appeared to finally arrive

Honestly, I think the "worst" thing that happened yesterday, and one that will cause a bunch of a couple of year crowd to complain a bunch, is the 3" or so of snow that fell yesterday - just enough to cover the ground that wasn't reached by snowmaking, but now where near enough to make it skiable/rideable - there will be some base damage and tumbles as a result :eek:

An impressive comeback from what was left after the blowtorch finally departed on Monday PM! It's back to typical mid winter machine groomed surfaces at Mount Snow. The woods and the natural terrain are still about a foot of natural away from being back in play IMHO. The snowmaking ponds though still have plenty of water and Mount Snow has switched from recovery mode back into expansion mode :fangun:

skiking4

Smuggs is reporting 8" in the last 24 hrs. Accurate? I heard "5" of fluff" at Stowe. I just got up to Sunape and am thinking I will just ski groomers here tomorrow with today's 2" mixed in.

Nah it's less than that. But conditions are great. It was probably 3-6 inches depending on wind.

yeggous

Attitash was not good today. Everything was bullet proof and scraped clean. Way too many people on too few trails. Half of their "open" terrain is the interconnect.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Attitash was not good today. Everything was bullet proof and scraped clean. Way too many people on too few trails. Half of their "open" terrain is the interconnect.

I keep waiting for a reason to head up to Attitash or Wildcat, but I'm not hearing one. I got the Granite Pass figuring I'd ski primarily up there, but so far this season, the skiing has been better at Crotched from what I've experienced and heard. Obviously the terrain is better at Attitash and Wildcat, but today the skiing at Crotched was fantastic. Perfect packed powder on all trails except for Moonwalk getting scraped down and Velocity, which just opened and needed a bit more grooming. Longest wait I had for the Rocket was maybe 8 chairs riding the singles line. Until things improve up north, it's kind of a no-brainer for me. Drive an hour and twenty minutes to great conditions, minimal crowds and lift lines vs. driving two hours plus for what you describe at Attitash.

Edd

The early season conditions as Wildcat/Attitash for the last (2?) seasons when I had a pass there partly motivated me to go back to Boyne, at least for this season. I did not have the Crotched option. I think that's something they added this year onto the Sun-Fri pass.

I've got the Bold/Beautiful also and still haven't made it to Cannon yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I weren't even lazier than you, I'd have gone for the Boyne pass myself. I just cant deal with the weekend crowds at Loon nor deal with the 2.5 hour one way drive for day trips to Sunday River on a regular basis.

steamboat1

If I weren't even lazier than you, I'd have gone for the Boyne pass myself. I just cant deal with the weekend crowds at Loon nor deal with the 2.5 hour one way drive for day trips to Sunday River on a regular basis.

Complaining about 2 1/2 hour trips to SR is lame. It takes me that long to get to Mountain Creek or Camelback. Catskills I'm pushing better than 3 hrs. This is why I haven't done day trips in years.

Substantial snow will come the week of the 6th when everyone goes home. This is my time to shine.

Edd

Are you skiing weekdays anymore?

Complaining about 2 1/2 hour trips to SR is lame.

The man did say he was lazy. Lazier than me, I truly doubt.

bigbob

Complaining about 2 1/2 hour trips to SR is lame. It takes me that long to get to Mountain Creek or Camelback. Catskills I'm pushing better than 3 hrs. This is why I haven't done day trips in years.

Substantial snow will come the week of the 6th when everyone goes home. This is my time to shine.

What he fails to mention is the brutal traffic on the Maine Turnpike, let alone the crawl up Rt 26, NYC isn't the only place with bad traffic

yeggous

Word around my club is that Bretton Woods was fantastic yesterday. No word either way about Wildcat.

deadheadskier

Staff member

You think my complaining is lame, yet you admit to not doing day trips in year? Seems logical and makes a whole lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Between a hospital internship, full time school and full time work, my time commitments per week average 70+ hours. I ONLY have time for day trips except for a couple of small trips per season, one of them being the AZ summit. With that kind of schedule, I don't want to spend 5 hours in the car each day I go skiing. I'll do it a few times per season, usually a couple of times to Killington, Sunday River and even Sugarbush at 3+. That said, I do need to have an option on closer to home. Hence, why I went with a Gunstock pass the past few years (an hour and ten away) and the Granite Pass this year with having Crotched an hour and twenty away.

Warp Daddy

Great day at Titus with the grandboyz and their dads. 36 inch base covered with boot deep ungroomed powder.....HOG HEAVEN:daffy:WE did 25 runs skied the entire mtn......simply great coverage ,35 trails open .

Warp Daddy

DHS : Sounds like you are advancing very nicely on the new career path! Keep your chin up .

As a board officer i am in the hospital 2/3 days each week lately and know how intense it is right now as i often observe our interns scurrying around the Med Center here . It will all be worth it in the end and i sense that have chosen well .. All the best in 2014.

warp

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks Warp! It's been a tremendous experience so far. Looking forward to finishing up and getting my license in June.

ScottySkis

So I up at Catamont today conditions are good considering what happened a few days ago. Not to crowded for a holiday weekend and 40$ for lift tickets through potter brothers I am so be skiing day #5.

twinplanx

You think my complaining is lame, yet you admit to not doing day trips in year? Seems logical and makes a whole lot of sense. :rolleyes:.

In steamboats defense, I think it was more of a comparison of the ski areas mentioned, then anything else. Sometimes you guys up North fail to realize just how good you have it...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

What he fails to mention is the brutal traffic on the Maine Turnpike, let alone the crawl up Rt 26, NYC isn't the only place with bad traffic

You deserve a severe internet beating for comparing traffic in Maine to traffic in/around NYC.