• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the damage?

C-Rex

So, how much damage did this liquid snow and warm temps do to the wonderful conditions we were enjoying?

Puck it

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Cannon.jpg

canobie#1

^looks like cannonball at cannon.

Killington got washed out too. Not a good start to winter.

drjeff

My 100% HONEST, non Mount Snow Cheerleader report, as of when I left yesterday PM.

When I got to the mountain on Friday night about 10PM, I still had about 6" of natural snow on my deck. When I woke up Saturday AM, the only snow on my deck was where some piles from snow falling off the roof, or sliding off my grill cover were. When I got home from the mountain about 4PM Saturday, my deck was snow free.

When I woke up and looked at the Mountain on Saturday AM, you could see that the natural snow was thin on the majority of the non snowmaking areas, but there was still far more white than brown visible. The snowmaking trails, where the guns had reached were looking very solidly covered. All the natural snow trails had the ropes up by 10AM on Saturday. Come Sunday morning, it was visually clear that the natural snow trails were more brown than white, and when I left on Sunday PM the natural snow trails were maybe 25% or so patches of snow and 75% grass.

There are patches on most of the snowmaking trails where bare spots exist, however, 90% or so of the snowmaking trails that are open had very solid coverage still. It will take more of some spot snowmaking, rather than "start over from scratch" snowmaking to get them back to full, mid winter condition once the cold air arrives. The natural snow terrain is done until mother nature decides to be "nice" again. And by done, I mean, starting from scratch essentially done, not "just a few inches and it's time to drop the ropes" done.

With the COLD air set to stream in during the next few hours, most major resorts with solid snowmaking systems will be back to mid winter like conditions on their previously open snowmaking terrain by the 26th or so. At least in Southern VT, the natural snow terrain is done until decent amounts of snow (as in a good foot plus) fall again

C-Rex

Well, at least the snow making ponds all got a good refill (a VERY thin silver lining). I figured the trails with good manmade bases would be ok and it seem like they are. Good news is there's plenty of cold on the way so the resorts with solid snowmaking should be able to make a quick comeback. Hopefully, mother nature got her warm, rainy spell out of her system and is ready to hit us with the good stuff for the rest of the winter.

I'm just trying to stay optimistic. Time to do a few snow dances and make some sacrifices to Ullr!

mlctvt

Wow that sucks that the lossis that bad! What a change from Friday where at Mount Snow the conditions werefantastic. Even the natural only trails skied great with just a little grasssticking through on trails that weren’t mowed in the fall, like Plummet

Well I don’t ski over the holidaysanyway unless there are great conditions, so I’ll just have to wait for thenext storm.

ScottySkis

Wow that sucks that the lossis that bad! What a change from Friday where at Mount Snow the conditions werefantastic. Even the natural only trails skied great with just a little grasssticking through on trails that weren’t mowed in the fall, like Plummet

Well I don’t ski over the holidaysanyway unless there are great conditions, so I’ll just have to wait for thenext storm.

Cold hopefully lake effect snows hit soon.

Abominable

Scotty, you still planning on Mountain Snow for Christmas or changing plans?

yeggous

There is more snow in my yard in northeast Massachusetts than there appears to be in the mountains. We were from a solid two feet down to a few inches.

With that said, I disagree with the premise of this thread. There have been some very positive results for Peak Resorts:
1) Crotched probably has a good amount of water in the pond (just guessing)
2) Judging by their recent reports, it appears that the Wildcat snowmaking pipe has thawed! They are saved! Huzzah!

hammer

My front yard is still holding out ...
Mine is as well although if I didn't already know where the septic tank was I know now.

Back deck and paths for the dogs are clear but the rest of the yard looked white when I left for work this morning.

Warp Daddy

People Skiing today with full side to side coverage , no brown spots at all at Titus mtn.

Check the live snowcam at the base on their website

We plowed our drives and walks 13 times in the last 4 days as we got not only an ice storm up here BUT snow , sleet etc . Pleased that the mtn opened up today with 35 trails . But the snocam is showing that even the base area is full on . We will b there thursday with my entire extended family