• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Ski Season Ever?

BenedictGomez

It's not like I'm 65 years old, but of the ski seasons I do remember, this is easily the #1 worst ever.

I've never before cancelled more trips than I've had trips. Not going to Vermont again this weekend!

KustyTheKlown

its been pretty bleak but aside from just really loathing a packed groomers only day of stratton, i haven't had any "bad" days per se. best days were clearly out west, but my day at mad river glen was tons of fun, even in the woods, with some fresh snow. my smuggler's weekend wasn't what a smuggler's weekend could and should be, but i got to spend a solid 4 hour chunk skiing groomers with my girlfriend, and that never happens otherwise.

they're talking about big stuff next week. i hope it materializes. not even taking the max pass into account, i still have a day each at magic, plattekill, cannon, whiteface, gore, bolton, burke, middlebury, and killington all vouchered up and ready to go.

this weekend is tricky. best chance of all snow seems to be north and west, so whiteface. but my card is blacked out thru the 21st. only free skiing this weekend is max pass and that all seems to be in the saturday rain zone.

snoseek

That video looks like tahoe last year haha.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I admit to not having read the entire thread. But as bad as this season has been, the title needs to be modified to "Worst Ski Season Ever in the Snowmaking Era." There were many seasons back then were 60 days seasons (or less) were routine.

But in the snowmaking era, a few competitors for "Worst Ski Season Ever in the Snowmaking Era" include 2011-2, 1979-80, 1973-4. There were a few rough years in the late 80s, but the specific years of the season are eluding me.

cdskier

Cdskier glad SB is working out this year.

Yup, don't know unless you go. Of course that decision is a bit more difficult when driving all the way up from NJ. It's not that big of a deal for me if I drive two hours up to Wildcat and conditions are poor.

You get used to the 5 hour drive surprisingly quickly. If I was paying for a ticket each time I'd be thinking twice, but being a passholder makes the decision much easier. At the very least I get some form of skiing in and enjoy some good food. I can't say there's a weekend I went this year where I didn't enjoy the skiing. Even skiing groomers is better than sitting home.

cdskier

I was there for that. They closed the summit lift for about a 1/2 hour midday so ski patrol could put more snow where you get off the lift on top. They went into the woods & filled up toboggans with snow & then dumped it on the trail so you could ski off. This was on a Fri. I have no idea how they stayed open until Sun. which they did. The middle section under the lift actually had some nice spring bumps that day.

Yup...this was on a Friday. I guess you were one of the other dozen or so people there that day! And yes, Lookin Good had some nice little spring bumps.

steamboat1

Yup...this was on a Friday. I guess you were one of the other dozen or so people there that day! And yes, Lookin Good had some nice little spring bumps.

Small world. If I remember right I was at LP in the morning & they closed Snowball/Spring Fling for you guessed it, no snow. Only Steins remained open which I did a couple of runs on. Can't handle bashing bumps on Steins all day so went over to Ellen figuring it would be better. It was but not by much. GMX was carry your ski's & they slowed the lift for people to on & off load. Like most other ski days I really enjoyed myself.

Los

Whether or not one has fun skiing is irrelevant to the OP question.

THANK YOU. People are tripping over themselves to show how upbeat and positive they are. Not the point - it can be assumed that the vast majority of people reading this forum are die hards who will find joy in skiing even the toughest conditions.

Whether or not this is the absolute worst (hard to believe it's not), the reality is that the length of time in between poor ski seasons is becoming shorter and shorter. There may be a few more epic ski seasons in the cards, but they are endangered and, sadly, will most likely be extinct in the not too distant future.

Edit: Just sayin'.

Last edited:

steamboat1

THANK YOU. People are tripping over themselves to show how upbeat and positive they are. Not the point - it can be assumed that the vast majority of people reading this forum are die hards who will find joy in skiing even the toughest conditions.

Whether or not this is the absolute worst (hard to believe it's not), the reality is that the length of time in between poor ski seasons is becoming shorter and shorter. There may be a few more epic ski seasons in the cards, but they are endangered and, sadly, will most likely be extinct in the not too distant future.

Edit: Just sayin'.

Oh you're one of those.

Rowsdower

Worst year since I started snowboarding around 2002. Not even 2011/2012 was as bad by a long shot.

Besides one week it hasn't felt like winter at all.

And honestly, at this point im looking ahead to next year.

catsup948

Look at snowfall numbers vs actual precip, temperature departures and seasonal snow totals across the northeast. This winter has flat out been the worst in history. Embrace it... Sure. Ski.. I'm close to 40 days. But try to put any happy spin on this abortion of a winter, no way!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Just left Killington a day early. They are toast. (As is the rest of the northeast I'm guessing). Rain locked in a solid 10 inch base. Should keep them running through March 15th. As expected an ice ladened mess today. Nothing the grooming crew can do with that. They are trying but nothing to work with. Killington TV crew all geeked up over the prospect of a dusting to an inch in the next three days.
Worst
Wintah
Evah!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

That's a shame! Tomorrow I'll be skiing under the guns on superstar! Powder...hardly but way better then calling it early.

gladerider

absolutely the worst ever. 11/12 was not this bad.
just came back from a week of Jay Peak. have never seen snow pack this thin in middle of february.
i have another week planned up in tremblant in march. crossing my fingers.