• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Y'all are lucky

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The forecast for ski country in the NE looks BEAUTFIFUL. I'm here in Utah salivating over it. Big storms, little storms, and consistent cold as far as the models show. Super jealous. Wish I could go to Killington right now with 12"+ coming today and more next week. Probably get some natural terrain openings up high at K and SB in the coming week. I always loved the first day on natural snow...usually after at least a couple days skating about on the November man-made...felt sooooo good!

We're in day 2 of a week+ long dry spell...I'm not complaining yet though. The whole West Coast is dry for a week or more. The PNW resorts are in really really bad shape as it just keeps raining and is too warm. Crystal isn't open yet and looking at the forecast they won't be able to for the foreseeable future.

Please post pictures and updates! There's been zero talk on current skiing around here and it's super lame :spread:

speden

I wish the weather had been a little colder in the northeast this November. I feel like things are starting a little late, but I'm optimistic December could be good.

I worry about Utah losing the lake effect snow from the Great Salt Lake drying up, but maybe that's overblown.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The forecast for ski country in the NE looks BEAUTFIFUL. I'm here in Utah salivating over it. Big storms, little storms, and consistent cold as far as the models show. Super jealous. Wish I could go to Killington right now with 12"+ coming today and more next week. Probably get some natural terrain openings up high at K and SB in the coming week. I always loved the first day on natural snow...usually after at least a couple days skating about on the November man-made...felt sooooo good!

We're in day 2 of a week+ long dry spell...I'm not complaining yet though. The whole West Coast is dry for a week or more. The PNW resorts are in really really bad shape as it just keeps raining and is too warm. Crystal isn't open yet and looking at the forecast they won't be able to for the foreseeable future.

Please post pictures and updates! There's been zero talk on current skiing around here and it's super lame :spread:
This weather pattern gets old quickly.

ss20

This weather pattern gets old quickly.

Kinda loving being here 6 days and every day it's been 50 degrees and sunshine. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and watch the Killington World Cup with spectators standing in temps in the teens, 30mph winds, and overcast.

I'm still looking for a vehicle so I won't be able to ski until late next week anyway.

jimk

Kinda loving being here 6 days and every day it's been 50 degrees and sunshine. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and watch the Killington World Cup with spectators standing in temps in the teens, 30mph winds, and overcast.

I'm still looking for a vehicle so I won't be able to ski until late next week anyway.
One thing I have found very surprising about the Salt Lake Valley is how temperate it is in winter, particularly Feb and Mar. I swear, it seems like during those months there are a couple days each week that are mild enough down in the valley that you'll see people at the local Walmart wearing shorts and flip flops. Almost seems like winter in Southern California, of course it's still pretty volatile and two other days in same week it could be cool and snowy in town.

Up in LCC and BCC it's another story, with temps remaining more consistently cool and light overnight snow showers laying down another 3" of snow multiple times per week. The big dumps are great, but draw the crowds. It's those frequent little snow falls that are the real key to "the greatest snow on earth".

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

Oh you weren’t out today? They opened Supreme. It was not bad.

ss20

Oh you weren’t out today? They opened Supreme. It was not bad.

Do you mean Sunnyside...that's all I could find on social media? And yeah I've been totally keyed out. Like I said, I'm waiting on a car....which is waiting on the bank account. I guess it's been a while since I opened a new bank account....10 days of holding funds is now standard??? So with nowhere to go and not much to do I'm chilling out. Been on the light rail a few times. Might go walking about downtown SLC next week...I see there's a nice hike from the State government up to an overlook over SLC.

I thought about it today how this is more than likely going to be my last Saturday spent at home til April (barring a road closure). I get that feeling every ski season...this year it's certainly striking a bit different!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do you mean Sunnyside...that's all I could find on social media? And yeah I've been totally keyed out. Like I said, I'm waiting on a car....which is waiting on the bank account. I guess it's been a while since I opened a new bank account....10 days of holding funds is now standard??? So with nowhere to go and not much to do I'm chilling out. Been on the light rail a few times. Might go walking about downtown SLC next week...I see there's a nice hike from the State government up to an overlook over SLC.

I thought about it today how this is more than likely going to be my last Saturday spent at home til April (barring a road closure). I get that feeling every ski season...this year it's certainly striking a bit different!
Sunnyside AND Supreme were open yesterday. Apparently the latter was a soft opening.

Ensign Peak is a very short hike. Lots of great stuff in the foothills.

Weird on the bank account issue.

ss20

Crystal Mountain "opening" https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/media/news/limited-opening-december-4-5?v=1.0

This weekend, December 4-5, we will open with extremely limited operations to support the start of our youngest Ski & Ride School multi-week lessons on Saturday from 9:00-2:00. As these are children as young as three, we are limiting morning operations only for these lesson groups.

Starting at 2:00pm on Saturday we will be welcoming all other pass holders for a taste of winter until 6:00 on Sunday from 9am-4pm.

Even though it’s not the powder and full mountain coverage we are all waiting for, you will be skiing and riding with early-season machine-made snow covering a limited path down Quicksilver into the Discovery Meadow, and Broadway to Tinkerbell.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here is the view from DV's Snow Park area: showing some whales that are slowly melting:

snowpark_1280x720.jpg

burnstop_1280x720.jpg

Silver Lake:

silverlake_1280x720.jpg

Top of Bald, looking towards Park City:

wasatchtop_1280x720.jpg

Top of Empire:

empiretop_1280x720.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member

ss20

What a difference 5 weeks makes

Yeah it's nuts. The whole West...and I mean the ENITRE WEST was under 50% snowpack early-mid December. Then the faucet turned on and it hasn't stopped. I believe the only region still hurting here is Montana.

December 5 %normal y-t-d snowpack

ddec5.png

January 3...

jan3.png

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, hate to do it, but have to bump this one. Y'all need to share the love. Going on Week 4 of no real new snow. The base is shrinking and surface conditions suck for lack of a better term. We would call it, "frozen gran" in the biz. There was hope that we'd see a pattern change by now but it is not looking good. The Death Ridge is back and not moving off the coast.

I skied at Deer Valley today. In 10 years of skiing there today was the worst conditions I have seen there. That includes a fair number of spring skiing days. Snowmaking runs were decently covered, but hammered from traffic and no new snow. Off trail was not fun. And the grooming sucked which is just shocking. More than one local told me that grooming has sucked all season due to staff illness and "not enough groomer operators." Deer Valley was ALWAYS big on their grooming and always considered the crem de la crem of ski industry jobs. Not anymore.....