• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Year round beer or seasonal beer changes???

ctenidae

Warm beer is gross..

Try drinking an ice cold Belgian ale, then drink one at 50-60 degrees.
The cold one will taste flat, bitter, and like bananas.
The warmer one will taste like God's gift to the world.

Now drink an ice cold Coors Light, then drink a warm one.
The cold one will be light and refreshing, the warm one will taste like old dishwater.

I'll still take a warm Belgian over a cold Coors any day.

roark

Agee w/ Marc and ctenidae. Cold is to cover up off flavors, 50-55 is best for a good tasting brew. It's fact, not snobbery.

drjeff

Also, just to throw this out there, anyone that thinks 50 deg F is warm, go take a swim in the ocean at 50 deg F and let me know how that works out for you.

Yah, but my mouth is closed when I'm swimming in a 50 degree ocean, but it's open if I'm drinking a 50 degree beer ;) ;) ;) ;)

Greg

Staff member
Agee w/ Marc and ctenidae. Cold is to cover up off flavors, 50-55 is best for a good tasting brew. It's fact, not snobbery.

Spoken like a true snob! :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
Also, just to throw this out there, anyone that thinks 50 deg F is warm, go take a swim in the ocean at 50 deg F and let me know how that works out for you.

I agree, I like my beer after I leave it on the dashboard of my car all day. Now that's warm! Really brings out the flavor. :beer:

ctenidae

Meh. Most of us were drinking beer long before you old enough to be able to spell it. I was in college when the microbrew revolution started to become really popular and I sampled a lot of different ones. Drank a lot of Natty Light too. :oops: I think you were playing with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle dolls around that time... ;)

I don't think the age you started drinking has much to do with the development of taste. Perhaps with the burning out of taste buds, though. Or the indoctrination into the "Good beer is bad, cheap beer is great" mentality.

Seriously, IMO, when you start talking about aroma, mouth feel, drinkability, lacing and all that bullshit, you're starting to miss the point of beer, and that's to get your buzz on. :lol:

When you stop talking about aroma, drinkability, adn all that, you should probably start thinking about the meaning behind the 12 Step Program.

Greg

Staff member
I don't think the age you started drinking has much to do with the development of taste. Perhaps with the burning out of taste buds, though. Or the indoctrination into the "Good beer is bad, cheap beer is great" mentality.

When you stop talking about aroma, drinkability, adn all that, you should probably start thinking about the meaning behind the 12 Step Program.

Look at you guys getting all serious on me. I'm just busting balls... :roll:

ctenidae

Look at you guys getting all serious on me. I'm just busting balls... :roll:

Hey, it's a serious discussion for serious times. Okay, maybe not so serious on either count. Still, the good beer/bad beer argument is a symptom of some greater ills in our culture. It's the same as the fight between Ivy League and Big 10, Elitists vs Plain Folks, democrats vs Republican, Communism vs Capitalism, rice vs pasta, scotch vs bourbon, Angelina vs JEnnifer, The WE Channel vs whatever's the opposite of the WE Channel.

Can't we all just get along? To each man, the ale or lager of his choosing.

Unless the choice is cheap beer, because that's bad for the world. Drives up the cost of rice, uses up natural aquifers, constitutes the biggest source of unrecycled aluminum, and emits an excess of carbon dioxide. In short, it's not industry that's causing global warming. It's not biofuels that's causing starvation in the Third World. It's Budweiser that's causing all these ills. American tradition my shiny white fanny. Well, maybe it is an American tradition...

drjeff

Hey, it's a serious discussion for serious times. Okay, maybe not so serious on either count. Still, the good beer/bad beer argument is a symptom of some greater ills in our culture. It's the same as the fight between Ivy League and Big 10, Elitists vs Plain Folks, democrats vs Republican, Communism vs Capitalism, rice vs pasta, scotch vs bourbon, Angelina vs JEnnifer, The WE Channel vs whatever's the opposite of the WE Channel.

Can't we all just get along? To each man, the ale or lager of his choosing.

Unless the choice is cheap beer, because that's bad for the world. Drives up the cost of rice, uses up natural aquifers, constitutes the biggest source of unrecycled aluminum, and emits an excess of carbon dioxide. In short, it's not industry that's causing global warming. It's not biofuels that's causing starvation in the Third World. It's Budweiser that's causing all these ills. American tradition my shiny white fanny. Well, maybe it is an American tradition...

Well, I for 1 am enjoying this summer atleast this "ill" ;) ;) ;) And have many times in large numbers thus far this summer :beer:

bottom_bottleNew.JPG
;) :)

drjeff

I gotta say, if you need to put a piece of fruit in it to make it taste good, chances are it doesn't.

By the same logic, since you don't have to put the piece of fruit in this one(already there), then it must be good ;) ;)

Beer with lime, lemon, or an orange is always good..as long as it's a lighter golden colored beer..it adds to the flavor..ya heard...I draw the line at putting ice cubes in my beer or drinking it with a straw...lmbfao..

roark

Beer with lime, lemon, or an orange is always good..as long as it's a lighter golden colored beer..it adds to the flavor..ya heard...I draw the line at putting ice cubes in my beer or drinking it with a straw...lmbfao..
When I was in Germany I saw many drinking beer + coke, so I suppose fruit isn't as disgusting.

I'll save the fruit for liquor though, thanks.

wa-loaf

When I was in Germany I saw many drinking beer + coke, so I suppose fruit isn't as disgusting.

That's a new one. They have Spezi which is coke and lemon soda and Radler with Beer and Lemon soda. Beer and coke must be something new. Was there a name for it?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Many brits mix beer with gingerale and call it a shandy

Many Quebs mix beer with tomato juice and call it a red eye

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nothing wrong with being a snob. Though Marc's post was about as snobby as Greg's post was lacking sarcasm and pot stirring. Pretty factual approach actually. More so than I could have presented. I think the snobbery only comes into play when you think your preference and method of enjoyment is superior to someone else's. Which, I think it is, but Marc never stated nor suggested that so doesn't qualify for snob status ;) :p :D

For the record, I have drank good beers just slightly chilled below room temperature and was surprised by how good they tasted. Definitely can't do that with a can beer. But I still prefer my beers cold. Not iced though.