• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2023-24 Ski Season Thread

jimk

The Beast of the East is looking pretty snowy in these pictures! I'm not expecting to ski for another month or more as I'm in the Wash DC area right now. Both regions I am likely to ski this winter, Mid-Atlantic and Utah, are off to slow starts this season.:mad:

oldfartrider

I went to K Sunday 11/16. It was super crowded. I think everyone had the same thought to go Sunday rather than Saturday where it was free to vets.

JimG.

Staff member
1) 11/14/23-Killington
2) 11/16-Belleayre

1001.jpg
1000.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
1004.jpg
Belle opened 11/16 only for passholder appreciation day. Gorgeous weather, excellent manmade snow on several trails that were mostly empty. Low utilization meant snow never got beaten up or even slushy. Great early season skiing.

Zand

Nice that Belleayre can get open but apparently Stratton found it too warm.

I'm really hating the start of this season as an Ikon and Indy passholder. Between the two passes, other than Maine, it's a total shit start. Even if K FINALLY gets top to bottom Tuesday, Rime looks like total shit and I have no desire to drive up and ski that.

Screenshot_20231118-135733.png

You always make me jealous of Belle, Jim! And you get Gore on the same pass to boot.

JimG.

Staff member
Nice that Belleayre can get open but apparently Stratton found it too warm.

I'm really hating the start of this season as an Ikon and Indy passholder. Between the two passes, other than Maine, it's a total shit start. Even if K FINALLY gets top to bottom Tuesday, Rime looks like total shit and I have no desire to drive up and ski that.

View attachment 59509

You always make me jealous of Belle, Jim! And you get Gore on the same pass to boot.
I got the Belle only pass this year, not the 3 in 1. I got the beast 365 which includes the IKON base pass so I'll never get to Gore or Whiteface anyway.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Got tix to Belleayre for Friday. $218 for me and my 2 teens (including fee for RFID cards).

8 years in a row with November skiing!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
@ss20 @thetrailboss is Alta worth going to for opening day or will it be packed, don’t want to waste one of my days on a shitshow

Probably not worth it. It's a limited opening day. Just Collins chair and very limited terrain off Wildcat (could just be the cat track straight off the lift and Stimulation). I was just up there today and based on the cover/downhill tracks you *could* go off the snowmaking areas but it wasn't pretty. To put it in perspective, there's not enough snow for the transfer tow to run. That's probably the easiest way to answer, lol. Even if this storm blows up and get get 2 feet it still almost certainly won't be worth it.

If you're just looking at judging based on crowds I have no idea. Last year opening day was deep stale powder and wall-to-wall skiing and the longest wait was 3 minutes iirc. So many locals have gone to Ikon and they save their days til it's good. I think it'll be a low key day but we're the only game along with Solitude.

ThatGuy

Yeah probably not worth it I’ll keep and eye on the trail report. Guess I’ll stick to Solitude and PC until more snow starts coming

ThatGuy

@ThatGuy Brighton just announced opening Saturday as well. That'll spread people out a bit, but, I still doubt any of the resorts will be "busy", even if they're all just running one lift lol.
Cool might burn a Brighton day since I get comp tickets there as well as Ikon

ThatGuy

If you see a blue jacket, blue helmet with pink goggles and M-Free 108s say hello