• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Internet Provider????

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I just moved and want to get internet. Called Comcast. Guy was a dick and they needed a $99.00 fee to "install my internet." :blink: Translation: plug the computer in...literally... I tried to dicker with him...and said I was ready to sign on, but they were not interested in making a sale.

Fair Point: $43.99 or $49.99 a month depending on length of commitment. High speed internet. No install fee.

Any other providers I should consider?

Right now I use RCN for phone/internet/Cable and it's about $100+ a month..and no install fee..at my new place I'm using Serive electric for internet/cable..and it will cost less..maybe $70 a month because I won't need a phone line since it's highspeed..non dial-up internet..

powderman

Charter. It sucks but I don't think there are any other options in CT

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Charter. It sucks but I don't think there are any other options in CT

I have Charter too... I haven't had many policy issues with them, but I do experience periodic outages, seems more than necessary.

The other option for most places in CT is Verizon DSL.

Paul

I have Charter too... I haven't had many policy issues with them, but I do experience periodic outages, seems more than necessary.

The other option for most places in CT is Verizon DSL.

Most places, like Greenwich?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
See above. :razz:

Or you could make my VP happy and switch to U-Verse. I could get a really kewl referral!

Comcrap.... yay. For a while I heard they were blocking all incoming port requests for all their subscribers... so if you wanted to do some hosting of any kind... SOL.

Paul

Comcrap.... yay. For a while I heard they were blocking all incoming port requests for all their subscribers... so if you wanted to do some hosting of any kind... SOL.

Heard that too. I'm more of a guest than a host so...meh...

drjeff

I run charter in both my home and at my office. Generally speaking no complaints. 99.5% of the time when I want it, it's on. And when I've needed it, the service has been decent and relatively quick

wa-loaf

I've got Comcast and never had an install fee. I have my phone with them too and that was the only time they came in, but still no fee. Had Verizon DSL before and I was always on the phone with them. Never had to call Comcast customer support.

Geoff

I'm in the process of trying to decide between VTEL and Comcast at Killington. VTel has a 5 gigabyte monthly limit and charges $10/gig if you exceed it. I'm trying to decide how much bandwidth I'll actually be using. I had VTEL DSL a decade ago when I was a full-timer there and I have a Comcast cable modem in the flatlands house I'm moving out of to go skiing for the winter. Comcast residential data is very expensive if you don't want to take their video bundle and I already have basic cable as part of my condo fee at Killington.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We have our own little phone company here in the MRV, Waitsfield Telecom. DSL is about $35/month. Great customer service!

Terrible bandwidth, frequent unexplained disconnections... but hey, it's local. Gotta give 'em points for trying. My lovely 4mbit/s service gives me actuall download speeds of around 150kb (1200kbit) on a good day.

But the service is great, and the people are nice. I usually call, explain the problem, tell them they can skip the BS because I spent 3 years as a network admin, and they usually take care of it in a hurry.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside

i call bullshit on that one. it would compleatly negate the ability to access your home network if you paid for a static ip. its a denile of service. there would be a fing huge class action suit. they might be able to get away with doing to people with dynamic ip's