• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Internet Provider????

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
i call bullshit on that one. it would compleatly negate the ability to access your home network if you paid for a static ip. its a denile of service. there would be a fing huge class action suit. they might be able to get away with doing to people with dynamic ip's

I'm not talking about static ip addresses. I'm talking about dynamic ip addresses, which, if you run a cheap server that rarely shuts down, depending on what you're using it for, can be all you really need.

Especially if you're using a service like DynDNS.

WoodCore

My internet is through AT&T as part of their UVERSE package. I not sure about the exact technology behind this but it is much faster than the DSL service I had previously through SNET.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
FIOS is the way to go for pure pipe speed alone. Dedicated bandwidth. I've got five people in my house, streaming audio, video, playing games, running GB's of work files through it. It hasn't broken in the 2 years we've had it.

Graduated from have Comcast, ISDN, Dialup bonded, 128, 64, 32, 16. Not looking back.
We used to have a lot of issues with squirrels knawing through the cables. I understand the new cables have some chemical inside that is distasteful to the critters. Seems to be working.

Now if I could only keep my domain and web host stable....

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
FIOS is the way to go for pure pipe speed alone. Dedicated bandwidth. I've got five people in my house, streaming audio, video, playing games, running GB's of work files through it. It hasn't broken in the 2 years we've had it.

Graduated from have Comcast, ISDN, Dialup bonded, 128, 64, 32, 16. Not looking back.
We used to have a lot of issues with squirrels knawing through the cables. I understand the new cables have some chemical inside that is distasteful to the critters. Seems to be working.

Now if I could only keep my domain and web host stable....

Who's your registrar and host?

Geoff

i call bullshit on that one. it would compleatly negate the ability to access your home network if you paid for a static ip. its a denile of service. there would be a fing huge class action suit. they might be able to get away with doing to people with dynamic ip's

What Comcast was doing originally was simply filtering TCP SYN messages. If you can't remotely set up a TCP connection to your PC at home, you're S.O.L for web hosting. They later got fancier about it and put traffic shapers everywhere to slow down all the peer-to-peer traffic (BitTorrent, mostly) that was chewing their network up. The FCC told Comcast to stop doing it but if you turn off that traffic shaping, their whole network will fall over from the 5% of machines that are doing illicit file sharing and pounding the snot out of the upstream where bandwidth is scarse. Comcast is appealing the FCC decision and I think they'll win.

The vote on this at the FCC was 3-2. Here's a paragraph from the dissenting opinion from one of the FCC commissioners:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-183A6.pdf
As a result, the practical effect of today’s order requires all network operators – cable, telcos and
wireless providers – to treat all Internet traffic equally. That sounds good if you say it fast. But the
reality is that the Internet can function only if engineers are allowed to discriminate among different types
of traffic. Now, the word “discriminate” carries with it extremely negative connotations, but to network
engineers it means “network management.” Discriminatory conduct, in the network management context,
does not necessarily mean anticompetitive conduct. And this is where a lot of the misunderstandings
come into play. As human beings, we do not tolerate delay or interference when it comes to certain kinds
of applications. For instance, we expect our online movies to be clear and not distorted by competing
data coming over the same Internet connection. For us to enjoy online video without interruption or
distortion, video bits have to be given priority over, say, email bits. But now that all traffic must be
treated equally, that is going to change. The new regime is tantamount to a congested downtown area
without stoplights. Gridlock is likely to result.

Time-Warner is really annoying with the way they use dynamic IP addresses to stop illicit web hosting. When you obtain your IP address using DHCP, the DHCP server gives you a lease expiration time for the IP address. Time-Warner sets the lease to 30 minutes and assigns you a different IP address when you renew your lease. If you're trying to make a phone call with Vonage at home, the call drops every time this happens. I think this is much worse than what Comcast is doing shaping BitTorrent traffic.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
1&1 and Surpasshosting, respectively. Can't beat the price or technical service.

Hmm, I don't like 1&1. Have a friend deep in the IT industry who had some serious issues with them. Actually, he founded and operates www.boxstr.com. Cool stuff. I helped with the startup when it was under production domain www.copiousdude.com. A fun project.

Don't have any experience with surpasshosting. Do you have a VPS with them? If you're serious about hosting, I truly believe VPS is the only way to go (barring your own dedicated server, either local or remote).