• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston_e

Youngkin distanced himself from Trump and stressed that he wanted to reach out across the aisle and work collaboratively to get things done for the people of Virginia. Guess which message resonated with the voters...

Interesting that this is pretty much exactly what Biden did to get elected as well.

abc

I am guessing with many companies, this is more about not wanting to face gov't agency fines more than it is about giving their employees the option to wear, or not wear a mask
“Companies”? I heaven’t heard too many (mandating vaccines)!

Healthcare settings, perhaps. The rest of the private sectors don’t have any government involvements to speak of. It’s largely just which set of employees you’re willing to piss off.

Many companies however, are requiring their new hires to be vaccinated. Not so much of existing staffs

machski

wonder if the other Boyne resorts will be like this as well.
Loon is currently requiring face coverings in all lodges unless eating and outside when social distance cannot be maintained. This is due to the fact they operate on federal land (according to them). The word I heard is that chairs will not require masks this winter, though the above wording could change that. The Gondola I have heard WILL require face coverings. Whether the new Kanc8 will or won't I don't know. They haven't posted their winter protocols yet, though they have started making snow above Grand Junction.

VTKilarney

The new OSHA rule came out today for employers with at least 100 employees - which includes almost all ski areas since part time employees are counted in that total.

A couple of highlights:
1) Unvaccinated employees don't just have to test every week - they have to provide their employer with a test result every seven days. If they don't yet have the test result, they can't show up to work.
2) All unvaccinated employees must wear masks.

It will be interesting to see how much pushback we will see from workers who are central to our infrastructure (airlines, truckers, etc.) It will also be interesting to see if this impacts ski areas, since the unvaccinated tend to skew young and blue collar.

drjeff

The new OSHA rule came out today for employers with at least 100 employees - which includes almost all ski areas since part time employees are counted in that total.

A couple of highlights:
1) Unvaccinated employees don't just have to test every week - they have to provide their employer with a test result every seven days. If they don't yet have the test result, they can't show up to work.

It will be interesting to see how much pushback we will see from workers who are central to our infrastructure (airlines, truckers, etc.) It will also be interesting to see if this impacts ski areas, since the unvaccinated tend to skew young and blue collar.

I think the most certain thing about this is that a bunch of attornies will be racking up a bunch of billable hours both trying to get this mandate overturned as well as upheld, depending on whom if paying them....

2Planker

A couple of highlights:

and they have to pay $150 every week for that test.

drjeff

and they have to pay $150 every week for that test.

The biggest issue I have with how the Gov't is handling this, and for the record, I am Moderna double dosed, and am rolling my sleeve up tomorrow for my booster, is the basically complete denial of the government of the role that natural immunity plays for those who have had Covid and recovered.

To not even acknowledge that just makes little immunological sense. And yes I fully get that not all tests for antibodies are equal.

Whether or not its coincedence or not, is does seems like the mantra of "trust/follow the science" seems to be uttered less and less these days, especially comapred to earlier this year as vaccinations for the masses were underway

ThatGuy

The biggest issue I have with how the Gov't is handling this, and for the record, I am Moderna double dosed, and am rolling my sleeve up tomorrow for my booster, is the basically complete denial of the government of the role that natural immunity plays for those who have had Covid and recovered.

To not even acknowledge that just makes little immunological sense. And yes I fully get that not all tests for antibodies are equal.

Whether or not its coincedence or not, is does seems like the mantra of "trust/follow the science" seems to be uttered less and less these days, especially comapred to earlier this year as vaccinations for the masses were underway
I’m getting my booster today and I feel the exact same way, trust/follow science has given way to have faith/believe. My friend just had Covid a month ago and now they’re making him get vaccinated for his job. In my opinion (no medical background so I could be wrong) he probably has better protection and less chance of transmission than someone who got their vaccine when they first became available.

boston_e

I’m getting my booster today and I feel the exact same way, trust/follow science has given way to have faith/believe. My friend just had Covid a month ago and now they’re making him get vaccinated for his job. In my opinion (no medical background so I could be wrong) he probably has better protection and less chance of transmission than someone who got their vaccine when they first became available.
This may be true - but at least some research is showing that the best protection of all is hybrid immunity (people who have both recovered from Covid and have had a vaccine), and with basically no real negatives to getting vaccinated, why not get it anyway and be doubly protected?

ThatGuy

This may be true - but at least some research is showing that the best protection of all is hybrid immunity (people who have both recovered from Covid and have had a vaccine), and with basically no real negatives to getting vaccinated, why not get it anyway and be doubly protected?
I definitely agree, I’m just wondering whats going to happen in ~6 months with the unboostered.

skiur

Are there still "free" testing sites out there or are those going away?

My wife needed to get a test and went to a urgent care. They charged her $80 which her job covered but it wasn't free.

parahelia

Are there still "free" testing sites out there or are those going away?
Still lots of free testing in MA. I went to a center run by Project Beacon today, in and out in 5 mins. They usually get you the results in < 24 hours.

This particular time I had symptoms and needed to be tested to go back to work (negative rapid test not enough). But they test everyone and don’t even ask for insurance info.

thebigo

A couple of highlights:

Further to the above, we were told that the federal contractor guidance does not differentiate between remote work and in person work. Think about this for a minute: A fully remote employee, granted an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief, is still subject to masking and testing.

Puck it

Further to the above, we were told that the federal contractor guidance does not differentiate between remote work and in person work. Think about this for a minute: A fully remote employee, granted an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief, is still subject to masking and testing.
But it is "THE SCIENCE". Don't you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.