• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tremblant info needed --first timer there for a week.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Hi all, we are heading to Tremblant in early march, was wondering a couple things:

We are staying at the Horizon condos. they are ski in ski out. Anyone know what trail they are on and how the run to the condos is? I cant find much on line but what i did see was a shot that makes it look like the trail at the condo where you'd stop is a hairpin turn that looked like a sheet of ice...I know every day is different but any info on this area and what it typically is like would be appreciated.

Second, am I right in thinking Tremblant is like Okemo north? the moutain seems pretty flat without many steep areas. I know there's dynamite and a few other steep runs, but what Ive seen in youtube looks pretty flat and chill -even the single blacks- which is actually fine as we have a group with various skill levels.

finally, we are there the first week or March as thats our school vacation week in NH this year. It's also that provincence's school vacation week as well....how busy should I expect it to be? With Covid that may be hard to answer, but I'm expecting the weekdays when we are there to be pretty busy but far from flat out crazy crowded.
'
Thanks, if anyone can think of anything else a first timer to tremblant should know, please let me know. we are there for 5 days, 4 ski days, 1 off day.

KustyTheKlown

the terrain is way more interesting than okemo in my opinion. some fun steeps and trees to be had.

the crowds are the worst ive ever experienced at a ski area, and the quality of skier is also incredibly low. montrealers trying skiing on a lark in canada goose coats going down the hill on their asses. all over the place. proximity to the montreal metro makes it a nightmare on weekends/holidays. to the point where i will only go back midweek non holiday. hour long lines for the gondola and the mainlift up the backside.

spa scandinave is a nice inexpensive thing to do

Edd

TR of my only trip there. I actually liked the mountain itself and agree it’s way more interesting than Okemo. If you search the site there’s a decent amount of threads.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

TR of my only trip there. I actually liked the mountain itself and agree it’s way more interesting than Okemo. If you search the site there’s a decent amount of threads.

Hey there, I'm just to the west of you in southern NH. Those open glades look awesome. we are all working on our tree sking and love wide open ones like that. thanks!

ericfromMA/NH/VT

the terrain is way more interesting than okemo in my opinion. some fun steeps and trees to be had.

the crowds are the worst ive ever experienced at a ski area, and the quality of skier is also incredibly low. montrealers trying skiing on a lark in canada goose coats going down the hill on their asses. all over the place. proximity to the montreal metro makes it a nightmare on weekends/holidays. to the point where i will only go back midweek non holiday. hour long lines for the gondola and the mainlift up the backside.

spa scandinave is a nice inexpensive thing to do
Thanks!

Razor

Ditto on the crowds. Weekends are awful, but midweek isn't bad. Think Loon on steroids. Fun village.

fbrissette

Horizon is a two-builindg complex of new condos. Like all condo in the area, your ski out is to Parking 2 and Porte-du-Soleil lift. It is a transition lift which does not take you to any good skiing. From the top, you ski a flattish run to either the Versant soleil or to the base of the Village on South side. It's a bit more work to come back for lunch than if you were living to the Village. You can walk to the Village from Horizon, but that's about 15-20 minutes and it's all uphill to come back.

There are plenty of hard runs on all four sides (North, South, Soleil, Edge). North and South aspects have a flattish middle section which can be annoying depending on wind and temperature. They have added many good glades recently. Taiga on North and Haute tension on Edge are really good. Boiling Kettle is my favorite pitch. Steep narrow bumpy run with a steep drop on top with many options for air. Dynamite is nothing special. There is a cliffy choke section 2/3 rd or the way down and it is steep and icy and typically ends up in a 90 degree bump from too many people sliding down. The run gets its reputation from this section. It varies from fun to challenging to dangerous depending on conditions. Expo (run to skier's wright of Dynamite) is much better in my opinion.

The week of Feb 28 to March 4h is Quebec School vacation. March 14-18 is Ontario school Break. Even is you picked one of those two weeks, you will be able to get some good skiing in if you know how to ski the mountain. Saturday is always packed unless the weather is very bad. Head out very early, head straight to the Versant soleil go up and ski the north side for 4-5 runs, then head to the Edge for a couple of run. By then it will be 11h00-11h15 and you should have 10-12k vertical feet in your legs. From that point on, play it by ear and head where the list lines are shorter (there is a large panel on top that shows wait times).

Do note that you need to be fully vaxed to ski in Quebec.

Tremblant was my home mountain as a kid. Been skiing for 11 years at Jay Peak, but last winter, because of Covid, we returned to Tremblant. Don't hesistate to PM me if you have any question.

Reactions: Edd

fbrissette

the crowds are the worst ive ever experienced at a ski area, and the quality of skier is also incredibly low. montrealers trying skiing on a lark in canada goose coats going down the hill on their asses. all over the place.
Tremblant is a resort destination. If you pick a bad week, you will have a shit load of once-a-year skiers. There are plenty of hard core skiers at Tremblant, many World cup skiers and olympic medalists in many disciplines. Lots of money at Tremblant. If you're looking for duct tape repairs, Jay is definitely the place to be. So so happy to be back at Jay this winter.

fbrissette

what would be a good alternative in the area to tremblant?
There are none in the Laurentians (North of Montreal). Only a bunch of smaller family oriented mountains. Ste -Anne and Le Massif east of Quebec city have the best skiing in Quebec IMO and get the most snow. Sutton, close to the US border (and to Jay Peak) is also good. Orford (1h15 South East of Montreal is a nice and steep hill but they get less snow than the others.

machski

Hi all, we are heading to Tremblant in early march, was wondering a couple things:

We are staying at the Horizon condos. they are ski in ski out. Anyone know what trail they are on and how the run to the condos is? I cant find much on line but what i did see was a shot that makes it look like the trail at the condo where you'd stop is a hairpin turn that looked like a sheet of ice...I know every day is different but any info on this area and what it typically is like would be appreciated.

Second, am I right in thinking Tremblant is like Okemo north? the moutain seems pretty flat without many steep areas. I know there's dynamite and a few other steep runs, but what Ive seen in youtube looks pretty flat and chill -even the single blacks- which is actually fine as we have a group with various skill levels.

finally, we are there the first week or March as thats our school vacation week in NH this year. It's also that provincence's school vacation week as well....how busy should I expect it to be? With Covid that may be hard to answer, but I'm expecting the weekdays when we are there to be pretty busy but far from flat out crazy crowded.
'
Thanks, if anyone can think of anything else a first timer to tremblant should know, please let me know. we are there for 5 days, 4 ski days, 1 off day.
Be aware if you are skiing on an Ikon, your access to Tremblant is locked out. I believe you need to Zoom with them to show your proof of vax and ID before your Ikon will be unlocked for use at Tremblant. We enjoyed it, loved The Edge pod. FGQ, even on a super busy Saturday, that lift had minimal lines. If they have good natural coverage, can stay over there for multiple runs.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Be aware if you are skiing on an Ikon, your access to Tremblant is locked out. I believe you need to Zoom with them to show your proof of vax and ID before your Ikon will be unlocked for use at Tremblant. We enjoyed it, loved The Edge pod. FGQ, even on a super busy Saturday, that lift had minimal lines. If they have good natural coverage, can stay over there for multiple runs.
Thanks for that. We are not on IKON but now I will look into what we need to do before we we get there to be admitted. We are all vaxxed so I'm sure it will work out.

I'm hoping canada relaxes the covid test to cross the boarder!

machski

Thanks for that. We are not on IKON but now I will look into what we need to do before we we get there to be admitted. We are all vaxxed so I'm sure it will work out.

I'm hoping canada relaxes the covid test to cross the boarder!
They have a bit for their own residents on short duration trips, so that is a start in the correct direction.

tnt1234

It's a fun mountain with snow...way, way better than okemo.

The Edge pod has some nice glades. there are a couple of steep pitches off the front side of the summit with some glades next to them - might be unmarked. Tunnel is fun, CBC is a great trail if there is natural snow.

It's a neat place.

IMPORTANT - the beer sucks. You are allowed to bring your own beer across the border. I would do that. I think up to a case per person?

2planks2coasts

IMPORTANT - the beer sucks. You are allowed to bring your own beer across the border. I would do that. I think up to a case per person?
Rubbish! Both Le Diable in the Village and St Arnould in Mont-Tremblant Town make tasty tipples beyond the ubiquitous IPAs.

KustyTheKlown

La Diablo was like a fake brewery that would be at Disney world that made crappy generic amber ales and garbage. Tremblant village is basically a Disney world approximation of alpine France. Tres corny.

Dieu du ciel in Montreal makes actual good beer https://dieuduciel.com/en/

crank

Been a while...was last there around 18 seasons back.

Was there during Ontario's March school vacation. I remember it being really crowded with long lines to get up the hill in the morning until about 10AM when everyone was dispersed and it was not bad after that. However, don't get caught at the bottom of Versant Nord around 3 because you will wait in a super-long line with everyone heading back to the village side.. Maybe it was Quebec school break week because people were cutting each other off and were not super polite. Sorry for the stereotyping.

We used to call it Disney du Nord because it is like Epcot Center: built to look like a village in the Alps. I did not mind this and I liked that, unlike Disney, the shops and restaurants were run by individuals and not the corporation.

Skiing-wise it's pretty big with lots of variety. Doesn't get tons of snow, but stays cold so it doesn't get thaw freeze cycles...at least that's how it used to be. There are areas on the front side that do feel like Okemo, wide, mellow cruisers, but there is a lot more to the place with some genuine steeps and bump runs and trees.

Were I you, I would look for lodging closer to the village. Horizon looks like it is a longer walk than I'd want to do with the family to go out to dinner or wandering around the village and especially coming back after dinner. Might be OK if you take the cabriolet lift?

No other big hills nearby.

We went a few times and I liked being able to park the car for the week.

Village fun for kids: beaver tails, maple syrup poured on snow and rolled up on a popsicle stick, La Source pool in village. Anyone if that is that still there? Have they expanded it to more of a water park like Jay Peak's?

VTKilarney

We used to call it Disney du Nord because it is like Epcot Center: built to look like a village in the Alps. I did not mind this and I liked that, unlike Disney, the shops and restaurants were run by individuals and not the corporation.

That's funny. I have always said that Tremblant is what you get if Disney and an Austrian ski area had a love child. But somehow it works. I much prefer Tremblant's pedestrian village compared to anything else in the northeast, including Spruce Peak.