• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cold Start to November?

Greg

Staff member
It's still only mid-November. That works for me. I only usually get one day of skiing in November. As of now, Killington is the plan on the 20th.

4aprice

It's still only mid-November. That works for me. I only usually get one day of skiing in November. As of now, Killington is the plan on the 20th.

Greg

See my post #27. I believe that by the T-day the guns of November will be roaring.

The last 2 seasons featured a La Nina. From my experience La Nina conditions favor a colder regime at the beginning of winter and dryer as the winter goes on. Last season was a perfect example of that ending with what I considered a dismal March. We are supposedly now in an El Nino which is a different beast. My experience is El Nino's produce a better back end of the season and are favorable for Noreasters.

Herb Steven's forecast which somebody posted looks really good to me. Some of his analogs are impressive. 76/77 I lived in Northen New England and that was an awsome season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a slower start this year with a much better late winter/early spring. :snow:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

Scott commented earlier this week on skiVT-L:

"Mother Nature loves her averages and we are paying for a below normal October right now."

Man, ain't that the truth. :evil: It's going to be in the 60's Sunday. BLAH!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

2knees

someone posted a long term outlook from Herb Stevens who expected a pattern shift beginning around the 20th or so. hopefully this all comes to fruition but I'm still not gonna lose my lunch over a crappy november.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Riv is right...this thread title is loaded with cruel irony.

At least Greg put a question mark on the original post. And if you look at the OP at this moment - it's updated back to the point where the image matches what he wrote.

Sorry still haven't figured how to post images. Black Friday may be tough sledding but the evidence is mounting that better times are ahead:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/11/bring-it-accuweather-bring-it.html

Glenn

Things are looking better this week in Southern VT. Daytime temps are going to be cool...with night temps in the upper 20's. If we can stay in this pattern until next week, we should, in theory, be all set for a good Thanksgiving weekend.

powderfreak

Corrected for you...last post was over a month ago. :-?

Sorry 'bout that guys... I definitely have a tendency to not want to write much when the weather gets stagnant. I'll also start taking days off without looking at anything weather related and that's a big thing for me. I was starting to get excited for winter in October but then this November has been about as boring as they come wx wise... but winter's coming.

From what I've seen this fall my gut says December is a roller coaster ride (transient periods of cold/snow, then thaw, repeat) but then the heart of winter during January and February is white gold.

-Scott

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sorry 'bout that guys... I definitely have a tendency to not want to write much when the weather gets stagnant. I'll also start taking days off without looking at anything weather related and that's a big thing for me. I was starting to get excited for winter in October but then this November has been about as boring as they come wx wise... but winter's coming.

-Scott

I'm with you on that one all the way Scott. I have no interest in rain or sun forecasts. When that happens, I just go out and do warm weather stuff.

Algorithm:
IF (Scott doe NOT post), THEN Queue the domestic duties, ELSE, double check the ski gear, vouchers, clear calendar. :lol:

arik

Didn't 07-08 start really warm and dry and then turn out very snowy and awesome?

I remember doing the downloading thing on Canyon chair at Mount Snow thanksgiving 07 (or was it 06?).