• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fingers crossed...

Greg

Staff member
...that we get some of these this season:

bgm.gif

:snow:

And this season...

Glenn

We always get screwed in CT...well, last season at least. I mean, looking at the big pictures (or should I say "radar loop" in this case) all that matters to me is that VT gets hammered and it stays all snow. But it does kind of stink when we're getting a good amount of snow here in CT, then that dreaded "mix" rolls in and keeps totals down.

We always get screwed in CT...well, last season at least. I mean, looking at the big pictures (or should I say "radar loop" in this case) all that matters to me is that VT gets hammered and it stays all snow. But it does kind of stink when we're getting a good amount of snow here in CT, then that dreaded "mix" rolls in and keeps totals down.

Same here in PA..maybe this will be an uber duber goober stokeriffic magnifficent winter..JEA!!!!

Glenn

I keep telling everyone: "I want a good "State of Emergency" storm. :-o

Greg

Staff member

We had two decent one foot powder days in CT last year. The one that really stood out was February 22. Bumps on Temptor were just seeded. I skied from 3 pm until closing during the dump. Best day/night at Sundown ever!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
odd man out?

You know, if we were having this conversation with "normal" people, they'd be sending the Department Social Services over to rehabilitate us. :blink:

I just had another one of those :uzi: "I wish it was warmer, gee, I wouldn't miss the snow at all" hallway conversations:argue:. I had to run back to my office to barf....

I want one of those mother-of-all-storms that paralyzes the northeast for a week. You know, phone lines down, no electricity in the flatlands, impassable roadways. I'll do everything I can to be "stranded" up north:grin:, where the woodchucks come to work and say, "a-yup there's a little snow out there today. guess I'll have to plow tonight when I get home..." I'd be in perfect company...

bvibert

Staff member
I want one of those mother-of-all-storms that paralyzes the northeast for a week. You know, phone lines down, no electricity in the flatlands, impassable roadways. I'll do everything I can to be "stranded" up north:grin:, where the woodchucks come to work and say, "a-yup there's a little snow out there today. guess I'll have to plow tonight when I get home..." I'd be in perfect company...

Me too! I love snow storms! :D

All my non-skiing acquaintances look like they want to hit me when I start talking like that. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I want one of those mother-of-all-storms that paralyzes the northeast for a week. You know, phone lines down, no electricity in the flatlands, impassable roadways.

I read an interesting article last year about the perception that storms in the past were more severe. One point was that we're better equipped to handle big storms now. Mmore accurate forecasting, a lot more people in 4WDs, AWDs, and state and local DOTs that are better equipped to handle large snowfalls. I would love to have some epic snowfalls this year, but I can do without the loss of electricity. With a well and forced air heat, an outage more than a day would really suck.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Me too! I love snow storms! :D

All my non-skiing acquaintances look like they want to hit me when I start talking like that. :lol:

I'm like a five year old under the Christmas tree when it snows. Looking out the window, going in and out, measuring it.

I think weather forecasters, skiers, boarders and snowmobilers and the only people who get excited about snow. the snowplow contractors are happy, but they're too exhausted to get excited.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I read an interesting article last year about the perception that storms in the past were more severe. One point was that we're better equipped to handle big storms now. Mmore accurate forecasting, a lot more people in 4WDs, AWDs, and state and local DOTs that are better equipped to handle large snowfalls. I would love to have some epic snowfalls this year, but I can do without the loss of electricity. With a well and forced air heat, an outage more than a day would really suck.

The blizzard of 78 was an interesting example. It paralyzed the metro northeast, but in the mountains of VT and NH, it was just another winter day (they didn't get that much precip out of it).

I'm not so certain we could handle a real blizzard that goes on for 3 days. What happened around us in 78 was the winds created these massive drifts across the roads that only auger-type snowblowers could remove. snowplows couldn't push through them. The snowblowers were in short supply and had to be brought in. But the winds persisted for days, and re-filled in the cleared passage through the drifts.

Glenn

The resorts can never win. They'll get the complaints "its too deep".

Tell me about it. Someone will whine: "It took us 6 hours to get here...and the trails aren't even groomed!" :angry:

Glenn

I love the irony of that. We are better equiped...but people are bigger wennies than they were back in the day when good traction was a RWD boat with a few bags of sand in the trunck. But now, we get a dusting and they're sending the kids home early. They predict 6" of snow and there's no bread, milk or bottled water left in the grocery stores. What's wrong with people?

And don't get me started on the complainers. You live in New England...it's going to snow!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I love the irony of that. We are better equiped...but people are bigger wennies than they were back in the day when good traction was a RWD boat with a few bags of sand in the trunck. But now, we get a dusting and they're sending the kids home early. They predict 6" of snow and there's no bread, milk or bottled water left in the grocery stores. What's wrong with people?

And don't get me started on the complainers. You live in New England...it's going to snow!

True New Englanders don't live in major metropolitan areas (that includes me), are self-sufficient and hardy. I guess that's why I'm much more comfortable living up north (where I was born). A-yup. It snowed last night. Well, I'd better get up early to plow the driveway and allow more time to get to work. A-yup.

4aprice

That radar is a beautiful image to me. Snow from the Pocono's north - my stomping grounds. Here's hoping everyone gets 5+ of those this year. I am not a fan of fall and the fever is starting to hit hard. I'm tempted to break out the ski boot cups and shot glass this weekend and watch Warren Miller films.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

That radar is a beautiful image to me. Snow from the Pocono's north - my stomping grounds. Here's hoping everyone gets 5+ of those this year. I am not a fan of fall and the fever is starting to hit hard. I'm tempted to break out the ski boot cups and shot glass this weekend and watch Warren Miller films.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I miss the winter of 1993-94..I was in 9th grade and it snowed 75 inches+ in the Lehigh Valley..and I had off school more than a dozen days...we seemed to get a snowstorm every Wednesday and Blue mountain the true mountain stayed open until April 10th..I know Killington made June that year..1995-96 was also a sweet season with early snow along with the Blizzard of 96 in early January..1997-98 was great early season before the big Ice Storm then it was good for awhile followed by a fast spring thaw..sorm of like what we had this season but earlier..but Killington was still going strong during finals week.

1998-99 got off to a slow start but ended up decent. In mid November of 99,.it snowed 3 feet from Sugarbush Northward..and Stowe had a solid percentage of terrain open from the start..until a thaw took affect before Thanksgiving giving way to a few white ribbons of death..2000-2001 was epic in VT and it's hard to forget the Town meeting day storm where I dug my car from out of 27 inches of Champlain powder to get to Stowe for freshies..2001-02 was not that good..then apparently 2002-03 was epic but I was in Montana..since then has been a blue..but lots of huge fall, winter and spring dumps..

I'm psyched..I freaking love snow, skiing and shredding some fresh Poe..mad Edgar Allen..

aaah the v day storm. epic day at berkshire east. i remember going down flying cloud in knee deep powder. i was the first person there that morning too. :daffy:

hell yeah..nothing like allowing a ton of extra time to get to the mountain on a Poe day and knowing you're going to get first tracks right under the lift..