• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Optimistic About New Pass

Greg

Staff member
skimag.com said:
Killington Optimistic About New Pass

KILLINGTON, Vt. Aug. 11, 2004 - Local business owners in the Killington region are taking advantage of the buzz created by Killington's new All For One season pass in hopes of seeing a greater number of guests in the region this winter and more business through their front door. The All For One season pass is available for purchase through Aug. 30 or while supplies last for as low as $349 per pass.

"There's no question that there is loads of excitement and buzz about this pass," said Laura Summers, owner of The Sunup Bakery on Killington Road. "The bakery tends to be like the office water cooler and you hear all the gossip as people come in to grab their morning coffee. If their chatter is any indication of how well this pass is selling, I'm going to have a booming business this season and I'm sure others will too.

The All For One pass is available for sale and is valid for the 2004-2005 season at Killington, Mount Snow/Haystack and Pico in Vermont, Sunday River and Sugarloaf/USA in Maine and Attitash in New Hampshire. The flagship passes are the $349 Bronze with 14 black-out days (primarily holidays) spread across the season, and the $599 Gold pass, which is unlimited, providing skiing and riding everyday of the season. A Super Senior Pass for $399 provides unlimited skiing for ages 70 and above.

In total, there are five different All For One passes available in limited quantities with varying price points and benefits attached to each. These prices are valid until Aug. 30, 2004 and following that, there will be incremental increases for each of the products available.

"We have seen some people who were on the fence about renting for the winter season go ahead and rent because of the deal on the All For One pass," said Walter Findeisen, owner of ERA Mountain Real Estate.

Killington rental property owner Jim Blackman agrees. "I'm seeing people who were not planning on renting this season rethink their winter plans," he said. "Local realtors are telling me that they are definitely seeing an upswing in new rental house clients. They are absolutely seeing new people coming into their offices."

The All For One pass is modeled after the highly successful Sunday River and Attitash interchangeable season pass offered last season, which consumers heralded for its affordability and flexibility. Last season, skier visits at Sunday River and Attitash were up, during a season when most resorts in the East were down.

"We are building on its success, having learned a lot from it and about our guest's skiing habits and usage," said Chip Carey, senior vice president of sales and marketing for American Skiing Company, Killington's parent company. "We have fine-tuned the number we will sell and adjusted blackout dates based on that research."

For local businesses, the All For One pass also is another tool to help increase reservations for the upcoming season.

"Killington is the big draw and this pass will help me fill my beds," said Ted Bridges, innkeeper at Cortina Inn and Resort. "I'm just getting ready to do a preseason email to my database about the pass that will hopefully drive some winter reservations. I think it's going to be great."

Interested skiers and snowboarders can call 800-88-PEAKS or visit killington.com to purchase their passes.

SOURCE

jwind

Optimistic... well of course they are optimistic. Killingtime already rakes in the $$$$. I'd like to see numbers on what resorts net each year. Killington has got to be right up there :beer:

Tin Woodsman

I'd say it's a stretch that Killington rakes in the $$$$. Keep in mind that they draw several hundred thousand fewer skers than they did during the glory days of the 80s. They still spend an enormous amount of money on snowmaking, though not as much as before me thinks. K probably generates positive cash flow for ASC, but nothing remarkable. At the end of the day, they are almost a ski.snowboard pure play with little real estate. Unless you are Alta or Wolf Creek and don't need snowmaking, that's a tough business to make significant money in.

jwind

oh come on... the access road looks like route 1 in Boston that place is pure :beer: :dunce: and not to mention :argue: NYers dumping $$$$ there.

we all know ASC is a loser - there are other ways to make money. I KNOW for a fact killington makes it. There are few Resorts that could possibly make more dough - certainly none here in ME.

Tin Woodsman

Yes, the access road is a big party and idiotic NYers (who don't know that the better skiing is further North) drop loads of money there. But how many of those dollars make it into ASC's coffers? ASC owns the Pickle Barrel and 1 or 2 other establishments, but the VAST majority of retailers, restaurants, and real estate is owned by others. That's where the money is. Like I said, K is almost a pure play on skiing, which is why they so desperately want to build the new base village - they want to capture more of the "wallet" of skiers and riders who come to the mountain. I'm sure K makes a profit, but it isn't exactly a cash cow.

loafer89

Just a post from one idiotic New Yorker, who knows that there is better skiing up north :D I passed up on Killington twice this last season to ski at Sugarloaf. I have about 75+ days at Killington, but I have not been back there since January 2002. I think that I will allow my ski visit days at Sugarloaf
(now at 40) catch up a bit before I go back to Killington. My primary reason for skiing at the Loaf is to get away from all of the people from NYC and ski with a friendlier crowd. I used to visit Killington primarily in October,April and May, but since the season length has been cut back considerably as of late, I do not have as much use for the place.