• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Night skiing - wikipedia

Los

When you have time, I hope you'll add more to the entry's opening paragraphs re. the history and impact of night skiing. For instance, night skiing was probably independently "invented" several times. I have a brochure that shows that Bousquet Ski Grounds (the area's name back then) in Pittsfield MA had night skiing in 1940, and night skiing may have occurred there even before that. Your Wikipedia page mentions Summit West in WA, which Webb Moffett acquired in 1942, according to another Wiki page.

Night skiing arrived well before snowmaking. It made it possible to ski during weekday evenings instead of confining skiing to weekends. Often a Monday or Tuesday snowfall would disappear by Saturday morning, relegating so many would-be skiers to shoveling only rather than shoveling and then skiing. I also think of the impact of the availability of night skiing on popularizing the sport through school clubs and racing teams.

Woody

Thanks Woody, that's a great idea. I will! (at some point :) )

KustyTheKlown

ive never bothered to night ski before, but with mountain creek less than 90 minutes away and on teh max pass this year, i intend to drive to work and cut outaround 4 this winter on 5 random weeknights, drive to creek in a suit, change in the parking lot, and ski for the sake of free skiing sort of nearby

ScottySkis

Mountain Creek o. sunday night last season was my olny packed powder after 2 feet plus feel night before.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk