• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

NYDB

love it. love watching them all bitch and cry about it on facebook.

snowboards are toys. skis are tools.

splitboards get a pass because they turn a toy into a tool.

the skiers can have all their skier only places. especially this one with low snowfall, shitty elevation and terrible aspect.

have fun with your 'tools' lol

KustyTheKlown

arent you a skier?

alta is not built for snowboarders.

DV may be up their own ass about it, and MRG may just be old school for the sake of being old school, but alta's policy is because snowboards are poorly made for traveling over snowy terrain and they would post-hole all over the place trying to access most of the terrain. hence - toys. not made for efficiently traveling over snowy mountains.

i am not sorry that i still disdain snowboards.

NYDB

arent you a skier?
fuck no. snowboarding for 41 years now.

I've heard all the bullshit for years so there is nothing new for me
Been harassed by ski patrol back in the 80's 90's, bunch of parking lot fights at K, met skiers who refused to ride the lift with me, and also met a bunch of cool skiers over the years.

I actually see a resurgence of animosity towards snowboarders in the past 5 years or so. I have my theories as to why, but will keep them to myself since there are only like 2 snowboarders on this forum.

carry on with your disdain. it's pretty funny from my perspective.

bigbob

arent you a skier?

alta is not built for snowboarders.

DV may be up their own ass about it, and MRG may just be old school for the sake of being old school, but alta's policy is because snowboards are poorly made for traveling over snowy terrain and they would post-hole all over the place trying to access most of the terrain. hence - toys. not made for efficiently traveling over snowy mountains.

i am not sorry that i still disdain snowboards.
Mad River banned snowboarders because they can de rope the single chair when they unload from what I have heard. Anybody else hear this?

Kingslug20

How would that happen...you get off the single by simply stepping off it...
Which may be a bit difficult but wouldn't break the lift.

djd66

From Wikipedia:

Snowboarding[edit]​

Mad River Glen is one of three ski areas in the U.S. that completely ban snowboarding, along with Utah's Deer Valley and Alta ski areas.[10] This has caused significant discussion, especially among the snowboarding community.[11]

Mad River Glen was one of the first places in the U.S. to allow snowboarding during the 1986-87 season and lasted until the 1992-93 season. Unloading issues due to a flat run-off exiting the old single chair led the owner of the resort to limit them to the Sunnyside Double and the practice area chair.[12] Due to heated debate over this issue, Betsy Pratt, Mad River Glen's previous owner, decided to ban snowboards entirely.[13]

Four years later the owner sold the mountain to the Mad River Glen Cooperative. The coop addressed the snowboard ban with a vote. Over 75% voted to keep the ban, and it will take a 2/3 majority to overturn that, making it unlikely that the ban will be lifted soon.

danimals

Mad River banned snowboarders because they can de rope the single chair when they unload from what I have heard. Anybody else hear this?
This is true. Snowboarders were allowed to ride the double but not the single (which IMO is a design flaw if a boarder can de rope a chair lift because then its possible a skier could too). Some snowboarders approached Betsy in a grocery store. the interaction was filmed, and it really wasn't that heated.

At this point there is no reason to allow snowboarding or reverse the decision. Its not like boarders will flock to a place that didn't want them for decades. If for some reason I really feel the need to "Ride it if I can" Ill just split up and board down.

As for a new resort opening in 2023 that wont allow snowboarders? go ahead, the resort honestly looks pretty bad.

x10003q

The single was rebuilt to modern standards in 2007. I doubt snowboarders would still be able to de rope the single.

I am not a snowboarder, but banning snowboarders is just silly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The single was rebuilt to modern standards in 2007. I doubt snowboarders would still be able to de rope the single.
That is a good question.
I am not a snowboarder, but banning snowboarders is just silly.
It is within their purview to determine what activities they want to allow at their resort. Same with Alta and Deer Valley. The fact that only three ski areas have stuck to this decision demonstrates that it is a minority view. That said, clientele at all three have regularly told me that they like that decision. It is what it is.

skiur

That is a good question.

It is within their purview to determine what activities they want to allow at their resort. Same with Alta and Deer Valley. The fact that only three ski areas have stuck to this decision demonstrates that it is a minority view. That said, clientele at all three have regularly told me that they like that decision. It is what it is.
It's still stupid. They own the place and can do what they want. I wouldn't want to ski with that clientele anyway so no big loss for me.

ThatGuy

Snowboarders skew more bro
Skiers skew more chode
My biggest problem with snowboarders is waiting for them to strap up when I’m with them…besides that who cares what method you use to slide down the hill. Theres alot of better things to worry about in life.

LuckyStrike

I'm a boarder who kind of likes MRG's decision. I respect the fact that they want their own place as silly as it may be to me. I kind of want to go and hang out in the MRG bar as a kind of double agent to talk shit about snowboarders for a laugh. I imagine them listening to Zepplin or Foghat and talking about the glory days of the 70s when they ruled the slopes. :daffy:

BenedictGomez

I'll interrupt the 13 year olds (approximately) arguing about snow sport modalities by mentioning that I read that apparently the h2o for Mayflower (the thing this thread is ostensibly about) will come primarily from the Jordanelle at less than 1% of total volume. And interestingly most of that vol will ultimately return to the Jordanelle each year resulting in what sounds like sustainability. It didnt say how, but I have to imagine via snowmelt primarily. Not sure how to process that - on the one hand maybe there's also some amazing new tech they're employing, but it sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I realize the Jordanelle is, in fact, directly downhill from there, but there's also a highway in the way with a flattened section.