• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

skiur

why are you so principled bro. you're like a cuck for snowboarders. whatever, one less person on the hill.

My wife who I share 95% of my skiing time with snowboards, so not sure exactly what a cuck is but if it's someone that doesn't care what's on your feet as long as your enjoying yourself sliding down the mountain than I guess I cuck myself.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My wife who I share 95% of my skiing time with snowboards, so not sure exactly what a cuck is but if it's someone that doesn't care what's on your feet as long as your enjoying yourself sliding down the mountain than I guess I cuck myself.
Two key issues. First, as said, is traverses. Not good for snowboarding. Postholing destroys traverses. Second is the completely different blind spots. At regular places I give boarders wide berth, but regularly I can see that they can’t see me.

All three areas cater to older folks (or once did) who weren’t used to snowboarding. DVR was a whole different economic demographic. MRG had issues with the Single and later hostility towards the owner by a small group of snowboarders.

That’s the background. It has nothing to do with discrimination or anything. Just business decisions. And I’ve yet to see a boarder-only resort….

KustyTheKlown

Two key issues. First, as said, is traverses. Not good for snowboarding. Postholing destroys traverses. Second is the completely different blind spots. At regular places I give boarders wide berth, but regularly I can see that they can’t see me.

All three areas cater to older folks (or once did) who weren’t used to snowboarding. DVR was a whole different economic demographic. MRG had issues with the Single and later hostility towards the owner by a small group of snowboarders.

That’s the background. It has nothing to do with discrimination or anything. Just business decisions. And I’ve yet to see a boarder-only resort….

imagine snowboarders trying to get out to catherines, devils castle, east greeley, or the backside at alta. essentially impossible.

thetrailboss

Staff member
imagine snowboarders trying to get out to catherines, devils castle, east greeley, or the backside at alta. essentially impossible.
Two years ago I came across a snowboarder postholing on Bookends Traverse and completely destroying it. He was right in the middle of the traverse and I had to awkwardly pass him. I remarked that this was not good etiquette and got a nasty response. It was clear to me that he was quite frustrated with his predicament.

Zermatt

Imagine snowboarders thinking that ski areas still need them. Clearly not the case in Little Cottonwood Canyon and many others. They are full occupied. I’d push on places like Jackson Hole to consider restricting them. They already sell out their lift tickets and parking spaces and would exist as a skier only mountain with no financial hardship. Only upside.

Could also fix the employee housing crisis there. I might be onto something.

BenedictGomez

This made me think of something I've paid approximately zero attention to. Are there patrol out west commonly on snowboards? Not a big deal in the east as we lack the serious terrain, but I imagine it could be an issue out west.

Zermatt

This made me think of something I've paid approximately zero attention to. Are there patrol out west commonly on snowboards? Not a big deal in the east as we lack the serious terrain, but I imagine it could be an issue out west.
Not really since it’s an inferior method of transport. It’s not easy to stand in one place (why snowboarders are always sitting on their asses) and seems like it would be difficult to safely ride with a sled.

LuckyStrike

Not really since it’s an inferior method of transport. It’s not easy to stand in one place (why snowboarders are always sitting on their asses) and seems like it would be difficult to safely ride with a sled.
This is true. I find myself randomly falling all over the place on a board. In lift lines, when taking scenic pictures for the folks back home, when peeing into the local watershed etc...I think I might take up snow biking.

machski

Alta has the most snow of anyone in North America right now. Pretty hard to beat that. DVR used to be posh. And MRG is pretty unique. I can’t think of many comparisons for each.
Reported accumulation for the season, but not reported base depth. That goes to Mammoth, probably because their snowpack likely has a higher water content and thus denser.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now that you mention it, I can't recall the last time I saw anyone who was boarding while on patrol. Maybe Brighton?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Reported accumulation for the season, but not reported base depth. That goes to Mammoth, probably because their snowpack likely has a higher water content and thus denser.
It appears Mammoth has jumped ahead for now. But 30-52" more on the way for LCC this weekend/early week.

BenedictGomez

The wife & I will be in Utah next week & would like to get out for a day of skiing, do any lift ticket deals exist anymore? I was pretty shocked tonight looking through websites that everyone's still asking at/near full price. Used to be ski resorts would heavily discount those final few weeks tickets in an almost jovial, "oh, you still want to ski? Sure, take 50% off our full price, we'd love to have you. Go have some fun!" sort of a way. But now their attitude seems more akin to the Darth Vader speech to Lando Calrission in The Empire Strikes Back. Looks like the cheapest I can find is Brighton at about $100. Not the end of the world, but I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The wife & I will be in Utah next week & would like to get out for a day of skiing, do any lift ticket deals exist anymore? I was pretty shocked tonight looking through websites that everyone's still asking at/near full price. Used to be ski resorts would heavily discount those final few weeks tickets in an almost jovial, "oh, you still want to ski? Sure, take 50% off our full price, we'd love to have you. Go have some fun!" sort of a way. But now their attitude seems more akin to the Darth Vader speech to Lando Calrission in The Empire Strikes Back. Looks like the cheapest I can find is Brighton at about $100. Not the end of the world, but I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

UAC and the local ski shops you can get a ticket around the $100 mark.

Or a pm if you want to ski Alta...

Kingslug20

Actually glad I'm not getting in till tuesday..looks like another big one slamming the place.
Clearing up by thursday...prolly hit Alta then...if they're done clearing..

4aprice

Uncle! Uncle!

Sent from the LCC park n ride as we wait out another road closure.
Pretty wild week in Utah last week. The line of cars on Wasatch Blvd stretched for at least 4 miles south of Little Cottonwood Rd, Saturday morning as I left for Denver and that was only in that direction. The day before I-80 was doing it's best I-70 impression with both Canyon's closed and a 1 hour + ride to the Park City area. Day before that accidents in both canyons made for a long ride down to Cottonwood Heights from Brighton as we just sat 1/2 way down BCC.

2 1/2 weeks out there and I think yesterday may have been the first sighting of "spring" in the Rockies. It was mid winter conditions and snow, snow, snow.

That said, been going for years and never seen as much snow as this year, "epic". That goes for Colorado as well where we spent the previous week. Sad to watch plenty of places close for the season yesterday with wall to wall "deep" coverage but that's that way it works out there. Still plenty of places extending the season so plenty of skiing to still be had. I'm trying to decide if I can make it back out for a late April extended weekend.

Side notes: BG, saw Brighton Tickets being sold at the See N Ski down on Fort Union Blvd in Sandy, unfortunately did not pay pay attention to price. One of the fastest flights ever home last night with good tail winds, under 3 from DIA to Newark (only to have to wait on the tarmac for a gate once here).