• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

Hawk

I have skied Deer Valley a couple of times most recently a few years ago. I have a friend that ownes and rents a house. it's not bad for a day or two. I also ski mobiled close by. I totally agree with what you are saying about the snow. Unless you stay above 6,000 ft +/- the snow goes quickly.

Zand

The good news is Deer Valley does have SOME good terrain and it is about as far away from this new development as you can get, so all the tourons can enjoy the new terrain and Empire/Lady Morgan will be empty as always.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The good news is Deer Valley does have SOME good terrain and it is about as far away from this new development as you can get, so all the tourons can enjoy the new terrain and Empire/Lady Morgan will be empty as always.
My last visit to DVR was disappointing in large part because Daly Bowl/Chutes was closed. Lady Morgan was meh due to low snow and high traffic.

BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

I’ve said it many times before, I hope guests like skiing grass a dirt. Low elevation south facing terrain that hardly ever holds snow.

Also this entire project is a blunder of the Jordenelle area. But that areas been trash for years now ever since Wasatch County let anyone build anything.

I dont think it's going to be as bad as people think based on the photos I posted here in mid-to-late April. Granted, yes, 40 year high in snow, I get it, but I imagine there'll at least be snow during the peak skiing months.

As for the Jordanelle area, agreed, drove the Jordanelle Parkway the other day and even though there's not a lot there now, you can tell they're going to cram multi-million dollar homes everywhere space'll allow. Ugly, boxy, modern looking things too.

FBGM

I dont think it's going to be as bad as people think based on the photos I posted here in mid-to-late April. Granted, yes, 40 year high in snow, I get it, but I imagine there'll at least be snow during the peak skiing months.

As for the Jordanelle area, agreed, drove the Jordanelle Parkway the other day and even though there's not a lot there now, you can tell they're going to cram multi-million dollar homes everywhere space'll allow. Ugly, boxy, modern looking things too.

I lived there for 13 years. The area doesn’t hold snow. At all.

I also remember when the only thing around that lake was the camp ground and boat launch.

Also there is no water. What a stupid project in general. Glad I don’t live there anymore. It’s a matter of time before that area burns too. There’s been 2 fires in that area already. It’s a bad spot if something takes off quick

BenedictGomez

"This will be a great ski area for those who want to experience New England skiing"

Best comment I've seen yet; that's some award winning sarcasm.

jimk

I too question the snow-sureness of a lot of the terrain in the proposed expansion. But we shall see? The best I can hope for is that it takes pressure off the crowding for LCC and BCC??

machski

South Peak might be a bit interesting and if gladed as the current map suggests, would hold snow on compared to open slopes. Plus that section tops at 9000'. The rest doesn't look too inspiring or making giddy with anticipation. Think I'm good with DV.

thetrailboss

Staff member
South Peak might be a bit interesting and if gladed as the current map suggests, would hold snow on compared to open slopes. Plus that section tops at 9000'. The rest doesn't look too inspiring or making giddy with anticipation. Think I'm good with DV.
Yeah, nobody was clamoring for this expansion or "new" resort. If anything it was the opposite. The only ones who were demanding this were a few folks who placed themselves to take advantage of a regulatory/tax loophole created 25 years ago when Snowbasin expanded and had to raze a rustic cabin that Hill Air Force Base personnel used for recreation. Now it has morphed into this. But hey, at least we're showing those who serve how much we appreciate them by giving them a (slightly) discounted luxury hotel room?

And as to the terrain, big meh. In all my times skiing Deer Valley, the Mayflower side consistently has the worst, and least, snow. It just does. There are a fair number of days when I've barely seen enough cover to ski Mayflower Bowl. Notice how the short lift on Bald Summit has no ski terrain and is just a connector lift. That meadow area is almost always thin snow on grass/sage due to exposure. It's also telling that the snowmaking infrastructure is called out. DV just does not get as much snow as the rest of the Wasatch. It is on the wrong side of the mountains.

4aprice

Years ago I saw a schematic of the proposed connection to the Cottonwoods through Guardman's Pass. While I get to Utah every year I'm not too knowledgeable about the east side of the Wasatch except for driving through Heber City on the way in from Colorado. We have never thought twice about driving over to the Park City areas from Cottonwood Heights but is there considerable traffic headed down 80 to the Cottonwoods the other other direction? Can Deer Valley connect to BCC and might this expansion help ease some of the traffic woes up the canyons? I realize the ticket issues (Brighton being Boyne, PC Epic). Not exactly sure of the geographic layout. TB, SS20, JimK or BG?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Years ago I saw a schematic of the proposed connection to the Cottonwoods through Guardman's Pass. While I get to Utah every year I'm not too knowledgeable about the east side of the Wasatch except for driving through Heber City on the way in from Colorado. We have never thought twice about driving over to the Park City areas from Cottonwood Heights but is there considerable traffic headed down 80 to the Cottonwoods the other other direction? Can Deer Valley connect to BCC and might this expansion help ease some of the traffic woes up the canyons? I realize the ticket issues (Brighton being Boyne, PC Epic). Not exactly sure of the geographic layout. TB, SS20, JimK or BG?
Your idea is circa 2013 or so if not way before that. It's called One Wasatch. Ski Utah was pushing it. The connection was going to be from Park City to Brighton, and then Brighton/Solitude over to Alta. It could be done with as few as two lifts and some limited ski terrain. The BC community yelled and screamed.

Then Talisker pushed Ski Link to connect Canyons to Solitude. The BC community yelled and screamed. Talisker had Vail take over Canyons and that idea died because Vail completed its hostile takeover of Park City an connected Canyons to it. Additionally, the (then) owners of Deer Valley bought Solitude to stymy Ski Link and Vail and shouted, "checkmate!" before ultimately selling to the other big ski conglomerate.

Ski Utah and company gave up on those ideas and are now pushing for the LCC Gondola. The BC community has yelled and screamed.

See the constant factor here? ;)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is going to sell many multi-million dollar homes, give DV another access point (arguably the easiest in Utah given the highway, parking, and out of base capacity), and sell more Ikon passes. Skiing is secondary. But it's definitely a win and should reduce crowding across all Utah resorts. I think it can move the needle that much.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is going to sell many multi-million dollar homes, give DV another access point (arguably the easiest in Utah given the highway, parking, and out of base capacity), and sell more Ikon passes. Skiing is secondary. But it's definitely a win and should reduce crowding across all Utah resorts. I think it can move the needle that much.
Exactly. No skier is asking for this. Developers and Alterra want to further monetize their asset. I don't blame them.

And Alterra is not thinking of selling more IKON passes. DV is slowly drawing back from IKON. They want to sell higher priced DV passes. Or basically go back to what DVR was before Alterra. That, of course, makes complete sense--break something that works and then fix it back to what it was. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In the meantime, pissing off your customer base.

Last edited:

4aprice

Exactly. No skier is asking for this. Developers and Alterra want to further monetize their asset. I don't blame them.

And Alterra is not thinking of selling more IKON passes. DV is slowly drawing back from IKON. They want to sell higher priced DV passes. Or basically go back to what DVR was before Alterra. That, of course, makes complete sense--break something that works and then fix it back to what it was. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In the meantime, pissing off your customer base.
Interesting theory. They are going to go through all this expansion, then drop off of Ikon? I mean they are already on the top tier and limited like JH and Aspen. Wonder what this would mean for other Alterra properties? (In my own situation Winter Park and Steamboat in particular)

I've got a luke warm relationship with Deer Valley. There things I like (some fun woods, Empire Bowl) but also things I don't like (too many lifts ending in one area on both Bald Mt and Flagstaff).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting theory. They are going to go through all this expansion, then drop off of Ikon? I mean they are already on the top tier and limited like JH and Aspen. Wonder what this would mean for other Alterra properties? (In my own situation Winter Park and Steamboat in particular)

I've got a luke warm relationship with Deer Valley. There things I like (some fun woods, Empire Bowl) but also things I don't like (too many lifts ending in one area on both Bald Mt and Flagstaff).
For me, I loved the original Deer Valley, pre-Alterra. It is not the same now--mainly too crowded and "just another resort". They charge a premium for a non-premium experience.

drjeff

Is there really zero interesting terrain in the entire new 3700 acres ?
Probably depends on what your version of "interesting terrain" means?

Heck, there's a bunch of "interesting terrain" that often gets overlooked by the masses as well as those who have the perception that DV is only low angle groomers (yup, they do have plenty of that for sure, but it isn't all that by any means), so I would guess that when it all opens that folks will find that there are pockets of "interesting terrain" in the new development as well.

I think that the GOOD thing for the ski industry is that this expansion will be one of the largest that the industry has seen in a LONG time, and may very well not see again for a LONG time (The Balsams, if it can happen might be the only similar type numerous new peaks and lifts one in the US that I can think of off the top of my head potentially in the pipeline) , and IMHO it's good to see expansion that is more than just a single new lift and some trails off of that lift