• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2015-16 Edition

BenedictGomez

BTW, figure some will get a kick outta this, John Egan was at my showing last night, he's traveling with the film for Sugarbush I suppose.

Tin

BTW, figure some will get a kick outta this, John Egan was at my showing last night, he's traveling with the film for Sugarbush I suppose.

Saw him a few years back to Sugarbush. Amazed at how fluid he was. Looked like he actually making HS super-G turns in Gangsta's Grotto.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Also no where on their homepage at this moment does it say anything about the weekend tour let alone the locations/dates. Not sure how they can get anyone to buy it with only half the info on their site. Also no lodging info. They seem to be slacking this year.
Not really. They don't usually firm up their tour schedule until about 2-4 weeks beforehand. Sometimes they're not even in the book.

dlague

Not really. They don't usually firm up their tour schedule until about 2-4 weeks beforehand. Sometimes they're not even in the book.

That is not true it is always in their book! I saw the mocked up copy today. And I posted the schedule a few posts ago. They finalized the schedule this past week. They always pre sell every year with out publishing the tour. They have already sold over 1000 on groupon. We have used The Ride and Ski Card for 12 years now and it has always been published in the book.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

That is not true it is always in their book! I saw the mocked up copy today. And I posted the schedule a few posts ago. They finalized the schedule this past week. They always pre sell every year with out publishing the tour. They have already sold over 1000 on groupon. We have used The Ride and Ski Card for 12 years now and it has always been published in the book.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Agree always in the book

steamboat1

If anyone wants to split a Sugarbush quad pack with me send a PM.

How do you plan on doing that? Only one individual can purchase a quad pack & that one person needs to be there to redeem any tickets. Yes you can use them for tickets for other people but that one person still has to be there when they're redeemed. They're very strict about this.

I'm still up in the air about getting one myself. I can ski one day anytime on a VT. pass, then there's a whole week in Jan. with $50 ski club/council discounts. I also have a friend that sometimes gets me an employee discount (best deal) but he's not always available during the week when I ski. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Still 147 left

WOW.

Well there's your answer. Eight full days on sale and there's plenty of inventory left.

EDIT: In the last SIX full DAYS, they've sold 23. :oops: Liking my prediction that the counter mysteriously disappears soon, or if not, next year for sure.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Kind of amazes me that people are that hung up on $30 and no Jay.

I'd still be all over it if not for going the season pass route this season and needing to stay closer to home. I've always gotten six days use out of the pass, which still would work out to under $30 a day. That's plenty cheap enough for me.

Tin

I'd still be all over it if not for going the season pass route this season and needing to stay closer to home. I've always gotten six days use out of the pass, which still would work out to under $30 a day. That's plenty cheap enough for me.

I was really planning on it this year. At last year's price and being able 4 maybe 5 of the mountains it would work (~$25-$30 a pop). At $170 and being able to ski 3 maybe 4 of the mountains it doesn't for me at $45 to $50 a piece. At the end of the season with all the deals, bogos, and my student ID I can generally ski for about $30-$35 a day and am very happy about that.

BenedictGomez

There's three things I think you're either not factoring in or not factoring in enough.

1) The market for discount items is savvier than most and aware of other deals. For instance, from my perspective this went from a "must have" item to "I can and will do better than this" and don't want it.

2) You really need to expand your geography quite a bit to realize the 6 trip value you speak of, and I'm guessing a small minority got 6 punches on this card (I know I didn't). Frankly, 5 is probably a more realistic number folks will hit, and in years past, I'm going to speculate 4 punches might have been a truer average, which is $42.50 a ticket. Yuck.

3) For a bunch of people, are there even 6 places on this card they 100% want to hit? There's 6 places I suppose I could hit, but only about 4 I 100% want to hit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was 6 places I wanted to and easily could hit last year and a prior year; Jay, Burke, Cannon, Smuggs, MRG and Bolton. No Jay and Id swap in Snowbowl for a MRV based weekend. I've also hit Suicide Six in the past just to try it. One year when I'm traveling more I'm sure I'd get over to Whiteface and Gore.

But let's say I only hit 5. That's still $35 a day. I'm sorry, but even though there are "savvy pros" like yourself, you are not finding midseason Saturday tickets at Cannon or MRG for $35 a ticket. Burke, Smuggs and Bolton ski club tickets sure. Ski VT tickets would still be more expensive comparing at 5 tickets.

I guess you're probably right in that people don't use it enough. At five days it still becomes pretty much as good as any deal around.

xwhaler

Last yr on the card I used Cannon, Smuggs, Middlebury, Owls Head, Burke, MRG, and Bolton.
I then traded Jay to a member who wasn't going to use their Cannon. So 8 uses on the card which worked out to $18.50/visit.
If I was not having a baby in a couple weeks and could do longer/overnight trips again this season it would be an absolute no brainer to get the card again.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty sure MMW maybe skipping out due to a newborn this year as well. So, that makes three of us skipping just out because of "damn kids" :lol: