• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Star Trek (2009)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Almost all of these problems were budgetary constraints. They couldn't afford the good effects or the good stunts actors.

And some of the acting was pretty good. Bill Shatner was always over the top, but that's part of what defined his character. Nimoy settled into the role by the second season, and was quite a dynamic actor. I thought DeForest Kelley and Jimmy Doohan always played their roles well (Bones and Scotty), and Nichelle Nichols was a great as Uhura.

It may be a generational thing for me. I understand the budgetary restraints and the time in which it was filmed. Still, I'm of the generation that grew up with Next Generation and so the original Star Trek, by comparison, just doesn't seem all that good. I understand that it made great strides for the time, and what a contribution it is in the grand scheme, but to take the individual episodes for what they are, they are not anything I would seek out to watch.

bvibert

Staff member
All Star Trek rules.... All of it... :)

And in true DMC fashion... I love the series everyone hates... Deep Space 9... And Enterprise...
I own the DS9 DVD set... total geek... admit it...

Live long and prosper...

I could never really get into DS9, that's the one series I didn't watch a whole lot of. I did really like Enterprise though.

Philpug

Consider the time that the original series was on TV...it was so far ahead of its time. TNG was a great TV series, we used to play the CCG for a year or two, that was fun. As far as the movies II, III and IV was a great little trilogy.

Q was a blast.

hammer

Well done movie, good characters and acting, good action scenes (although a bit over the top like many movies nowadays)...didn't appreciate the "alternative time line", guess I'm a little too much of an original Star Trek purist to appreciate it.

dmc

That's why I said I think it's a generational thing for me. Hard for me to completely understand that time period when I was born in the late 70s. ;)

For us born in the early 60's... it was amazing!!!

Some facts... the sparse sets were due to no $$... and the transporter was dreamed up to save money - rather then expensive outside ship shots... they just transported people... The background of the transporter is made out of drumset covering... Drumsets were pretty psychedelic back then...

Star Trek was very much a "red headed step child" of prime time TV back then... It didn't last long and didn't become popular until it was in reruns... :)

dmc

I could never really get into DS9, that's the one series I didn't watch a whole lot of. I did really like Enterprise though.

DS9 really required a series investment... It advances the Star Trek Mythology very nicely with a spiritual twist where you don't really know if your dealing with spirits or aliens..... so - the episodes were intertwined so it wasn't easy to jump in..

SkiDork

All Star Trek rules.... All of it... :)

And in true DMC fashion... I love the series everyone hates... Deep Space 9... And Enterprise...
I own the DS9 DVD set... total geek... admit it...

Live long and prosper...

dmc - did you like either of Space 1999 and/or UFO?

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
William shatner is one of the greatest actors of all time. Everything he touches turns to gold. wether it be tj hooker with plenty of heather locklear or priceline negotiator ads. Kirk whooped picards lame ass. Picard was only good in excalibur and x-men. Shatner is the greatest captain of them all. He is "common people."

bvibert

Staff member
DS9 really required a series investment... It advances the Star Trek Mythology very nicely with a spiritual twist where you don't really know if your dealing with spirits or aliens..... so - the episodes were intertwined so it wasn't easy to jump in..

I started watching it from the beginning, when it first came on. I wanted to like it, but lost interest after a season or so. It may have been the timing of the show that was it's downfall for me, I was a Junior or Senior in high school when it first came out. I was probably more interested in hanging out with friends.

Beetlenut

Saw the movie Friday with my son. I enjoyed seeing where the early characters came from, and how they developed their chemistry. I especally liked Kirks childhood and enterance into Starfleet! I think I liked Chekoff's character the best. As one who watched Star Trek from the first show on, I thought they did a good job with the movie.

dmc

I had never heard of Time Tunnel before. Just read the wikipedia page. Sounds like something worth looking into...

There's another one I used to watch.. i think it was called Land of the Giants...

we had a lot of good(campy by todays standards) sci-fi on TV when we were kids...