• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown season pass roll call

bvibert

Staff member
In all fairness, you ever try skiing at Sundown with skis that regularly see rails?

True, but I can't imagine that my skis that have never been tuned and have seen their fair share of rocks are much better.

Besides I was joking, hence the ;) I know there are plenty of park rats who are great skiers in other disciplines.

mondeo

Besides I was joking, hence the ;) I know there are plenty of park rats who are great skiers in other disciplines.
I know in this case you were joking, but it's a common complaint that the park kids can only skid. I've been on my park skis at K most of the time this year, and when it gets icy it's just plain scary, much more so than my Twisters ever were at the end of their life. And this is with a ski that's good on hardpack/ice with good edges.

Greg

Staff member
I know there are plenty of park rats who are great skiers in other disciplines.

Speaking of, I saw a lot of park rat kids absolutely ripping the bumps last weekend. They all have the same unique style, but many of them can definitely get it done.

bvibert

Staff member
Speaking of, I saw a lot of park rat kids absolutely ripping the bumps last weekend. They all have the same unique style, but many of them can definitely get it done.

Yup, I seem to remember a fair number of them on Gunny last year too.

planb420

Now you are forced to introduce yourself to the Sundown Bump Crew so you can get the tour. Its a short tour, really short.

I would not put it that way, it will be a pleasure to get to know other frequent Sundown riders...I will be there this Fri and I stick out pretty well in my gear LOL so hopefully I can get to know some of you and find some sick "secret spots" here! :lol:

CMcKenna

His skis have never been tuned and this is, I believe, their 3rd season. Similar?

completely different. rails just RUIN skis in general. the edges, everything. the liveliness of the ski. but they're fun =]

CMcKenna

hopefully one of them was me :cool:

planb420

How difficult would it be to rip the bumps on a snowboard, I have a 155 and a 152 and would assume 152 would be best since its a bit shorter for throwing quick turns. The only reason I ask is because there was a few times the 2 days they were open that I considered bombing that run but dont want to do it if a snowboard footprint would wreck em, (I'm all about respect and could see that may anger some skiers?) so I figured I'd feel it out here first before becoming that idoet trying to bomb bumps on a board (It just seems like it may be fun?)

Greg

Staff member
Boarders are in the bumps at Sundown all the time, and while some disagree, I think the typical boarder at Sundown does wreck the lines, and cause wall bumps. Think: chop turn to a stop, sit down. Get up, and repeat. That's what I see most.

Now, with that said there are times when sliding traffic of all types is good...usually right after they are seeded when the chunks need to be smoothed out and the troughs (actually early on just flat spots between the crests of the bumps) need traffic. So, I wouldn't hesitate jumping in there early on provided you can fire off turns quick enough. Again, when we're trying to get the bumps skied in, you're actually helping.

Finally, you're right...turn quick and carry your speed and you'll do little harm to the lines once they set up. If/when you need to stop, don't do it in an established good line if possible, and be gentle if you can, i.e. no harsh plowing type stops..

mondeo

Boarders are in the bumps at Sundown all the time, and while some disagree, I think the typical boarder at Sundown does wreck the lines, and cause wall bumps. Think: chop turn to a stop, sit down. Get up, and repeat. That's what I see most.

Now, with that said there are times when sliding traffic of all types is good...usually right after they are seeded when the chunks need to be smoothed out and the troughs (actually early on just flat spots between the crests of the bumps) need traffic. So, I wouldn't hesitate jumping in there early on provided you can fire off turns quick enough. Again, when we're trying to get the bumps skied in, you're actually helping.

Finally, you're right...turn quick and carry your speed and you'll do little harm to the lines once they set up. If/when you need to stop, don't do it in an established line if possible, and be gentle if you can, i.e. no harsh plowing type stops..
Bad skiers do as much to the bumps as boarders do, I think the learning curve is just easier on skis. But I do know a few boarders that are pretty competent in the bumps, one that rips 'em as well as anyone on this board (the kid is a seriously sick boarder.) Yeah, it's a bone of contention for some skiers, but I say the hell with 'em. Do what you want to do.

Greg

Staff member
Bad skiers do as much to the bumps as boarders do,
This is an age-old argument, but one I don't buy at all. I think of a snow board as more of a plow, pushing the snow up into a wall like pile. Some will argue that skiers have two edges doing damage, but it seems like the snow will flow up and over the skis instead of building up. Finally, skiers that are really feeble will usually have a ski release. That doesn't happen on a board.

Not saying bad skiers don't also wreck lines, but I don't buy the argument that they are equally as damaging. And mondy I know how you love to debate, and no I haven't done any scientific experiments, this is rather just all opinion from observation. :razz: ;)

I think the learning curve is just easier on skis.

Agreed, but I've never snow boarded so I really don't know for sure.

But I do know a few boarders that are pretty competent in the bumps, one that rips 'em as well as anyone on this board (the kid is a seriously sick boarder.) Yeah, it's a bone of contention for some skiers, but I say the hell with 'em. Do what you want to do.

The only way to learn is by doing so I agree, and don't worry too much. Like I said, there are going to be hackers of all types in there screwing things up anyway....it's just part of the game. Sundown is a learning hill after all.