• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/14 Storm Discussion Thread

hiroto

It hasn't even started snowing here yet and our school system
already declared tomorrow a snow day :blink: As much as I'm
hopeful, it seems rather premature.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It hasn't even started snowing here yet and our school system
already declared tomorrow a snow day :blink: As much as I'm
hopeful, it seems rather premature.

It's the Great Northeast Panic Attack II
I made the mistake of stopping at the grocery this morning for some lunch fixins. I've never seen it so mobbed for a 10am Sunday. I think they are freakin' out from the December storm where everyone was sent home at the same time, business and school. You'll have a great excuse for being MIA at work. Guess we'll have the roads to ourselves tomorrow, but I'm still waiting till Tuesday dawn patrol...

loafer89

December was a bit different in that our big snowstorm started around 10am which was about 2 hours earlier than forecast, thus alot of people got stuck out on the roads.

If we get alot of snow tonight and it's comming down hard on monday morning, I think alot of people will stay home. I am thinking that my son's school will be closed and we live fairly high up for Eastern Connecticut with some steeper hilly roads that I would not want my child on a bus in the snow.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
December was a bit different in that our big snowstorm started around 10am which was about 2 hours earlier than forecast, thus alot of people got stuck out on the roads.

You are being sensible, but I think the 295 million non-snow lovers will become irrational. It's as if snow while precipitating has become a near-death experience. ;)

loafer89

You are being sensible, but I think the 295 million non-snow lovers will become irrational. It's as if snow while precipitating has become a near-death experience. ;)

In the defense of my Northern Connecticut breathern, it was snowing HARD on December 9th, with snowfall rates of 1-2" an hour by 1pm. The drive home was a bit hairy even for me and I have nearly 20 years of experience driving in the snow.

Zand

Wow, precip is falling in CT and Greg hasn't complained about sleet yet.

That alone means we're in for a good storm. :D

Greg

Staff member
Wow, precip is falling in CT and Greg hasn't complained about sleet yet.

That alone means we're in for a good storm. :D

Ha! I was sleeping by 9-ish last night so I didn't see it start. We picked up about 7" of heavy wet snow. Looks like it's just about done. Decent, but somewhat anti-climactic. If it was drier it would have added up to more.

loafer89

About 6" here in Coventry and still snowing hard, Warren's school is closed.

Deck.jpg

hiroto

Wachusett is reporting 3 inches of new snow as of 6:43.

Gunstock (where I'm going on MLK weekend) reports:

4:48 AM - It just started snowing in the last 20 minutes and the pavement is white! We are expecting as much as a foot of snow out of this one which will set us up for a great week.

dmc

3 to 4 " on fluff here at Hunter - still snowing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nada in Stowe.

'nuther coastal "upside down" (for skiers) storm. My money says Wa-wa and CT areas look like the winners. "Strange brew..." Here in Lex. it looks like 6-8 on the ground (and I'm heading to Stowe/MRG this Friday, so get to workin' on those Friday flakes!)
:spread:

loafer89

Just a dusting on LI....I have yet to start my snowblower this year..:roll:

My driveway is about 300' long and laughs at the prospect of a snowthrower being used to clear it. I gave my snowthrower to my father and our neighbor and good friend is a landscaper who does our snow removal.

loafer89

'nuther coastal "upside down" (for skiers) storm. My money says Wa-wa and CT areas look like the winners. "Strange brew..." Here in Lex. it looks like 6-8 on the ground (and I'm heading to Stowe/MRG this Friday, so get to workin' on those Friday flakes!)
:spread:

I am hearing 1' + for Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine on friday with possibly alot more if really cold air just to the west works in for a higher fluff factor. We are forecast to get snain here, so it looks like an inland track.

I am leaving for Maine on sunday morning.