• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/14 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Luckily, this heat looks to be short-lived and I'm hearing rumblings about an event (i.e. snow!) for 1/14. Obviously, this is a ways out so we'll label this one "wild speculation" at this point...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Luckily, this heat looks to be short-lived and I'm hearing rumblings about an event (i.e. snow!) for 1/14. Obviously, this is a ways out so we'll label this one "wild speculation" at this point...

That would be sweet....For the last 3 years that weekend has been a total waste weather wise.

ajl50

I think there's always going to be a chance for a storm in the upcoming weather pattern...tons of activity. More than temperature this upcoming pattern looks to be marked by storminess...just like december...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well Greg, I was just itchin' to start a "when's the cold-spell coming? I've already had enough of this heat wave. Scott has been suspiciously quiet, and his channel 5 reports are rather diplomatic... :)
C'mon Ullr......

Greg

Staff member
Isn't MLK two Mondays from now? I think Hammer was asking about this coming Sun/Mon??

Whoa. :blink: I'm retarded. Not only did I think that MLK Day was this coming Monday, but I started a storm discussion thread about it... Merged and threat title fixed.

bvibert

Staff member
Whoa. :blink: I'm retarded. Not only did I think that MLK Day was this coming Monday, but I started a storm discussion thread about it... Merged and threat title fixed.

I was wondering what the hell you've been talking about... :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snow storm on Sunday-Monday? That's when I will be back at Burke. A powder day would be mighty tasty.....

Greg

Staff member
Snow storm on Sunday-Monday? That's when I will be back at Burke. A powder day would be mighty tasty.....

Hate to say it, but it's looking like a SNE event, right now...

drjeff

It was all good intent Greg. I'll take two storms, please: 1/14 AND MLK.

Lets see if we can get 2008 to follow the pattern of 2007 where a Holiday = a snow storm. We already had it work on New Year's Day!

Angus

from matt noyes web site - hopeful...

Keep in mind, though, that the jet stream trough - with cold air to the north and a storm track right along the jet stream winds - will be gradually moving east with a series of energetic disturbances tugging it across the country. Eventually, it goes to figure that this storm path will reach the Eastern Seaboard, and if a strong enough disturbance has sufficient timing, a coastal storm would be possible. A stronger potential for this arrives Sunday night through Monday, and the track of the storm is still highly questionable, yet quite critical with cold air only gradually building in, and especially the coastal plain still vulnerable to warming from an onshore wind, so if this storm does indeed take shape, snow would be most likely the farther inland, north and west one is, and rain would be more likely the closer to the coast and the farther south and east one is. This is definitely one for all of New England to watch.

The new establishing trough only slowly moves east, which means when the next energetic disturbance rides to the East Coast on Tuesday, the storm path may not be all that much farther east, meaning New England may actually need to watch two systems in 60 hours, depending upon the evolution of the pattern. Either way, the trough will return to the east, and this brings a good chance of near and below normal temperatures through the remainder of the month, which is the change I've been waiting for in recent discussions, and still appears to be on target if all goes as planned.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
from matt noyes web site - hopeful...

Keep in mind, though, that the jet stream trough - with cold air to the north and a storm track right along the jet stream winds - will be gradually moving east with a series of energetic disturbances tugging it across the country. Eventually, it goes to figure that this storm path will reach the Eastern Seaboard, and if a strong enough disturbance has sufficient timing, a coastal storm would be possible. A stronger potential for this arrives Sunday night through Monday, and the track of the storm is still highly questionable, yet quite critical with cold air only gradually building in, and especially the coastal plain still vulnerable to warming from an onshore wind, so if this storm does indeed take shape, snow would be most likely the farther inland, north and west one is, and rain would be more likely the closer to the coast and the farther south and east one is. This is definitely one for all of New England to watch.

The new establishing trough only slowly moves east, which means when the next energetic disturbance rides to the East Coast on Tuesday, the storm path may not be all that much farther east, meaning New England may actually need to watch two systems in 60 hours, depending upon the evolution of the pattern. Either way, the trough will return to the east, and this brings a good chance of near and below normal temperatures through the remainder of the month, which is the change I've been waiting for in recent discussions, and still appears to be on target if all goes as planned.

too many words. what did he say? ;)