• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting that they are not thinking that maybe folks are voting with their feet on what Vail is doing....instead it is just the "ebbs and flows" of the season.

The employee said they were told by upper management that parent company Vail Resorts is not making as much money as anticipated this season. Last month the company told investors it expects revenue to be in the lower part of the range it forecasted for the season.

A separate employee in guest services, said the resort is cutting down the number of staff members per shift from eight to six.

Despite seeing a 12% increase in skiers visits at its 37 North American ski areas, Vail CEO Kirsten Lynch said in January that visitation at Park City Mountain, along with its Colorado and California destinations, was below expectations.

gittist

The rodeway inns are like homeless shelters. So is the quality inn. And the days inn and comfort inn are like $250 a night. Priced out of rutland!
Plus the Econolodge and the Comfort Inn seemed to have homeless on our last visit.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

i didnt mean 'resemble homeless shelters', i meant 'are homeless shelters'

the cheapest motels were used as covid emergency housing and i think they are generally still being used as transitional/half-way house type lodging.

the travel inn on route 4 is the image for this article - https://vtdigger.org/2022/07/01/sta...longer-term-more-stable-transitional-housing/

last time i was at the days inn someone a few doors down got a very loud police visit.

place is a shithole but its conveniently located for skiing noVT and soVT in one weekend lol

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some other interesting comments from the KCPW article:

At Vail-owned Attitash Mountain Resort in New Hampshire, the Learning Center lift, which serves beginner terrain, is operating fewer hours weekdays.

Attitash folks take note.

The company is also looking to sell 76,000 feet of office space at its Broomfield, Colorado headquarters, according to the Denver Business Journal.

As a company that likes to remain centralized and have decisions made in Broomfield, this downsizing is interesting.

Investment management firm Baron Funds recently told its investors it was selling some of its Vail stock due to the company’s performance, although it remained optimistic long-term.

The first investors are jumping ship. Let's see if others follow.

KustyTheKlown

downsizing office space could be as simple as a hybrid remote workforce requiring less desks and conference rooms and etc.

my office is a ghost town. executives come in 3-4 days a week. staff are never there. we hire nationally now and junior people are really only expected at hq like twice a year. the open seating floor area is empty, and i and the colleagues at my level and above work in our individual private offices. as soon as our lease is up we are cutting square footage bigly while continuing to increase headcount.

drjeff

Plus the Econolodge and the Comfort Inn seemed to have homeless on out last visit.

That Comfort Inn in WRJ also functions as the default hotel for numerous college ski teams on the weekends as both Whaleback and Dartmouth Skiway host regular weekend races in January through Mid Feb. My daughters ski team spent 3 out of the last 5 weekends staying there. And as she put it to me "It's not the sketchiest hotel I've stayed in for a ski race, but it's not much above the sketchiest hotel I have stayed in for a ski race" :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
downsizing office space could be as simple as a hybrid remote workforce requiring less desks and conference rooms and etc.

my office is a ghost town. executives come in 3-4 days a week. staff are never there. we hire nationally now and junior people are really only expected at hq like twice a year. the open seating floor area is empty, and i and the colleagues at my level and above work in our individual private offices. as soon as our lease is up we are cutting square footage bigly while continuing to increase headcount.

Yes,

Downsizing office space isn't really a sign of anything. Mass General Brigham health had built a massive headquarters in Assembly Square North of Boston. They own the facility. Before the pandemic it housed over four thousand employees. Today? Maybe 400. They are considering converting their excess space to research labs.

2Planker

UMMM Almost every company out there is trying to downsize their office space, as remote workers increase

BodeMiller1

If you are a Marriott Rewards guy, the Fairfield in White River is usually not a lot of points. Same with the Marriotts in Williston. I'm staying at the Courtyard in Williston Sunday night with my son for two days of skiing at Bolton.
Never been at a Marriott that wasn't kept up. Even the one in Hooksett is clean despite many of the people staying there were staying on the government dime. Not sure if it's that way now.

For me breakfast with an IPA the weed and a Monster chaser are the start to a good day. With an Irving right there I was happy as a clam.

Maybe too happy according to local standards :coffee:

BodeMiller1

UMMM Almost every company out there is trying to downsize their office space, as remote workers increase
When I work from home I am either very efficient or pissed off I can't play with my animals or plants. My heroes are the guys (I guess a woman could do it butt, never seen it) who call into the office to make sure every thing is cool from a chairlift.

Now if the call is made from a tram then that's different.

KustyTheKlown

When I work from home I am either very efficient or pissed off I can't play with my animals or plants. My heroes are the guys (I guess a woman could do it butt, never seen it) who call into the office to make sure every thing is cool from a chairlift.

Now if the call is made from a tram then that's different.

Like 6 years ago I got a call from my manager while riding a chairlift at solitude. I was kinda spooked. I ended up getting a $20k raise and major title promotion before getting to the top of the lift. It fucking ruled.

KustyTheKlown

Oh man, I gotta get out to Solitude now. Which lift harnesses such magic? :ROFLMAO:

it was the summit express.

but honestly i am otherwise pretty meh about solitude. the best terrain takes 3 lifts to lap, and you always end up in a long valley run out. the summit express is the 3rd of the 3 lifts required to lap honeycomb.

solitude is the last place i would visit if given the option of all the lcc bcc and park city spots

thetrailboss

Staff member
it was the summit express.

but honestly i am otherwise pretty meh about solitude. the best terrain takes 3 lifts to lap, and you always end up in a long valley run out. the summit express is the 3rd of the 3 lifts required to lap honeycomb.

solitude is the last place i would visit if given the option of all the lcc bcc and park city spots
Agreed. I want to like it but I can’t.

njdiver85

When the Mount Snow GM, Brian Suhadolc, recently made a rare appearance in the Summit lodge, a Mount Snow regular asked him to respond to the lack of communication, staffing and service cutbacks, lack of snowmaking, dirty bathrooms and floors, garbage cans overflowing, and the fact that many trails were reserved on a busy weekend for ski school and race training leading to overcrowding on limited available trails. Rather than provide a response, the GM simply asked. . . "do you have anything positive to say?". And quickly scurried out of the lodge. Brian's arrogance was disappointing to say the least.

ColdRain&Snow

When the Mount Snow GM, Brian Suhadolc, recently made a rare appearance in the Summit lodge, a Mount Snow regular asked him to respond to the lack of communication, staffing and service cutbacks, lack of snowmaking, dirty bathrooms and floors, garbage cans overflowing, and the fact that many trails were reserved on a busy weekend for ski school and race training leading to overcrowding on limited available trails. Rather than provide a response, the GM simply asked. . . "do you have anything positive to say?". And quickly scurried out of the lodge. Brian's arrogance was disappointing to say the least.
did anyone pummel him with snowballs? :confused: