• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why I won't be skiing much this year.

Trekchick

My beautiful wife passed this morning:

Image-A5667EB2752011DB.jpg

She touched many lives and will be sorely missed. I am at a loss.
The footprint she left on your life must be profound.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot possibly express what I'm feeling, but know that you and your children are in my thoughts. If there is anything we can do, please, let us know.

bvibert

Staff member
Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. Please know that we are here for you while you're going through this very difficult time.

snoseek

Wow, I've been avoiding this thread but no longer could. Stay strong and heal properly, I don't even know what to say....maybe that life will improve even though it seems impossible right now.

SkiDork

I saw this and immediately tears came to my eyes. I'm crying. I share your pain. God be with you brother.

SkiDork

my 8 year old daughter (a skier) just saw me crying and came over to see what was the matter. I told her that little girls mommy just died. She asked me who would take care of her. I said her daddy would. She said she would have a new mommy when her daddy got remarried. I told her that was a good thought but it probably wouldn't happen soon. She then said the girl looked to be about 2 months old. I told her that looks like a good guess...

Now that I've dried my tears, just thought I'd pass that along to you...

Dork...

Trekchick

my 8 year old daughter (a skier) just saw me crying and came over to see what was the matter. I told her that little girls mommy just died. She asked me who would take care of her. I said her daddy would. She said she would have a new mommy when her daddy got remarried. I told her that was a good thought but it probably wouldn't happen soon. She then said the girl looked to be about 2 months old. I told her that looks like a good guess...

Now that I've dried my tears, just thought I'd pass that along to you...

Dork...
Now you've got me crying again.
cry1.gif

drjeff

My deepest sympathies Jens. Just keep all of those great memories you must hace accumulated over the years close to you.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Words are indeed inadequate at a time like this. I've been very moved by this thread, since I first read it... My family, like most, has also been touched and is still battling this dreadful disease. However, for some reason, this thread has "hit" me even harder than most stories. Not sure if its just the compounding nature of hearing of someone else. More likely, its because its one of our "skiing brethren", who has beautiful children similar in age to my own. I feel so sad for you and your children despite never meeting or even chatting with you directly on here.

However hard it might seem and despite all the pain you're undoubtedly feeling, in the short and longterm, try to remember to enjoy how much you still have and share your thoughts, both painful and joyful with your family and children as she will continue to always be with you all.

wa-loaf

Thank you all for the kind notes. This is a link to some professional photos we had taken of the family on Monday: http://www.photosbymeredith.com/Colleen/

Also, here is the obit that will be running in a few papers:

Colleen Garvey Kueter, 40, of Leominster, MA, beloved wife of Jens C. Kueter died peacefully at her home on Friday, October 17, 2008 after a brief courageous battle with liver cancer. She was born in New Milford, CT on March 18, 1968, the daughter of Jeanne (Wolter) Garvey Stax and the late Henry Hulton Garvey, Jr.

Colleen was educated in New Milford schools, graduating from Canterbury School in New Milford and received her bachelor degree from Simmons College in Boston. She began her business career with GE Capitol in Danbury, CT. followed by employment with the State of Connecticut, Administrative Services in Hartford, CT, iCast.com in Woburn, MA and Press Access in Boston.

In addition to her husband and mother, she will be sadly missed by her beloved children Anneke Maeve Kueter, 5, and Friedrich “Fritz” Henry Kueter, 2; her stepfather William J. Stax, her brother Henry “Hank” Garvey III and wife Mary of Newburyport, MA; her sister Kendra Garvey Owen and husband Richard of Northboro, MA; step-sister Carol Stax Brown and husband Charles of Cedar Rapids, IA; step-brother William F. Stax and wife Kathryn of Roswell, GA; and her brother-in-law Chris Kueter and wife Christine of Watertown, MA. She is also survived by her dear nieces and nephews Henry Garvey IV; Forrest, Bridget and Mitchell Owen; Max and Mattias Kueter; Will and Rachel Stax; her God-mother Dr. Joanne M. Lillis of New Milford, CT, mothers-in-law Janice Goodger of Pagosa Springs, CO; Cindy Kueter of Oakland, ME and father-in-law Hubert Kueter and Nancy Brooks of Oakland, ME. She will be sadly missed by her aunts and uncles, Ron and Norlyn Wolter of Oxford, CT, Linda and Russ Carlson (God-father) of Calabash, NC; Margie and Robert Foreman of Orwell, VT, Debi Phelan Arconti of Danbury, CT; Richard Arconti of Danbury, CT; 13 dear cousins, her school mates and many friends all over the country.

In addition to her father, she was predeceased by her grandparents Kathryn and Henry Garvey; Bertha and Henry Wolter, her cousin Roxanne Wolter, aunt and uncle George and Betty Stack and uncle John Phelan.

Among her most recent interests and accomplishments Colleen was a self taught knitter, spinner and wool dyer and recently began an on line business called Spiffy Knits. She loved gardening, cooking, the internet, was an avid reader and researcher, a masterful writer, possessed a keen sense of humor and wonderful wit, had a brilliant mind full of knowledge, and spoke fluent French. She had a strong interest in conservation and environmental issues. Colleen and Jens loved hiking, skiing, and family time together and among her most joyous moments in life were the birth of Anneke and Fritz and the great pleasure of being a stay at home mother. She was small in stature but made up for it in her spirit and strength.

She was a member of Tiny Lady Co-operative and the Leominster Mom’s Club. Colleen’s family thanks the Mom’s Club, friends, neighbors and extended family for all the generosity and kindness during this difficult time.

A mass of Christian Burial will be held on Thursday, October 23rd at 11 am at St. Francis Church, 26 Chestnut Land Road, New Milford followed by burial at St. Francis Cemetery on Fort Hill Road, New Milford, CT. Calling hours are 5 pm to 8 pm on Wednesday, October 22nd at Lillis Funeral Home, 58 Bridge Street, New Milford, CT 06776.

In lieu of flowers a contribution may be made to the “Kueter Children College Fund”, c/o Avidia Bank, 53 West Main Street, Northborough, MA 01532 established in Colleen’s memory.

MRGisevil

Jens, your wife sounds like such a great, great woman. You must be so proud to have been a part of her life. As is everyone, I think, I am wishing there were words I could provide that would be of some consolance, though I understand my words may not do much. I hope that, at the least, the fact that our collective thoughts, prayers and hearts are with you and your family provides for you a modicum of alleviation, or a vessel of support. We offer you our love and blessings.

BeanoNYC

In lieu of flowers a contribution may be made to the “Kueter Children College Fund”, c/o Avidia Bank, 53 West Main Street, Northborough, MA 01532 established in Colleen’s memory.
Click here if you would like to contribute. The money will go from this account to my paypal (minus fees) and I'll forward it along to Jens. Greg/Mods? Can we create a big fat sticky for this?

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Click here if you would like to contribute. The money will go from this account to my paypal (minus fees) and I'll forward it along to Jens. (Note: It won't let me contribute to myself, so I'll have to figure something out for myself) Greg/Mods? Can we create a big fat sticky for this?

Thanks Rich. My only concern with this is that I won't be able to keep track of individual donations for thank you's. Otherwise very cool. Thanks again.

BeanoNYC

Thanks Rich. My only concern with this is that I won't be able to keep track of individual donations for thank you's. Otherwise very cool. Thanks again.

I think chipin keeps track and I'll forward that too. :) Edit: Deadheadskier first chipper inner. Jens, PM me your email address and I'll forward you the individual donation information as they come in.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Click here if you would like to contribute. The money will go from this account to my paypal (minus fees) and I'll forward it along to Jens. (Note: It won't let me contribute to myself, so I'll have to figure something out for myself) Greg/Mods? Can we create a big fat sticky for this?

Thank you for setting this up Rich. You're a good man. Chip in allows you to leave comments as well.