• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Price

How do you pay for gas?

• Cash

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Credit

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Debit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Check

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Trekchick

For those of you who haven't heard, I moved to Tahoe this past year. What I find really amazing is the difference in Gas prices where I live in Reno and just across the border in California.
Our gas is 3.79(ish) right now and its 4.30(ish) in Truckee. Berzerk, eh?

We usually get our groceries at Safeway or Raleys.
Safeway give you 10cents/gallon discount if you spend 50.00 on groceries.
Raleys gives you 10 cents/gallon for spending 50.00 on groceries or 50cents/gallon if you spend 75.00 on groceries.
Its worthwhile to buy groceries at Raleys when its time to stock up, eh!

mondeo

For those of you who haven't heard, I moved to Tahoe this past year. What I find really amazing is the difference in Gas prices where I live in Reno and just across the border in California.
Our gas is 3.79(ish) right now and its 4.30(ish) in Truckee. Berzerk, eh?

We usually get our groceries at Safeway or Raleys.
Safeway give you 10cents/gallon discount if you spend 50.00 on groceries.
Raleys gives you 10 cents/gallon for spending 50.00 on groceries or 50cents/gallon if you spend 75.00 on groceries.
Its worthwhile to buy groceries at Raleys when its time to stock up, eh!
Wait, you're still alive? Is Marc with you? :p

Picked a shitty year to move out there.

Trekchick

Wait, you're still alive? Is Marc with you? :p

Picked a shitty year to move out there.
No, but I wondered about his Pan Mass thing.

And yeah, its been awful to have to ski waist deep powder for days on end........
But, I found a way to suffer through it and may even have to ski fresh powder a few more times before I put my skis away for the season.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think we are over the peak and headed downhill, $3.50 by July 4th. The futures traders are bearish on oil right now, corn and coffee are the movers right now. I see Porchse just unveiled it's new electric car, looks pretty sweet although the 911 style in the 70's will always be my fav.

o3jeff

Filled up the company car at $3.919 reg unleaded this morning, will need to fill up my car this weekend with super, hopefully it drops some more before I do.

bvibert

Staff member
Filled up the company car at $3.919 reg unleaded this morning, will need to fill up my car this weekend with super, hopefully it drops some more before I do.

I usually put mid grade in my car, even though it should really have super. I noticed that the mid grade is significantly higher than regular now. It used to be around 10 cents/gallon more, the last time I filled up my car (I have my wife's today, which takes regular) it was like 25 cents/gallon more for mid grade and another 15 or so cents/gallon more for super.

o3jeff

I usually put mid grade in my car, even though it should really have super. I noticed that the mid grade is significantly higher than regular now. It used to be around 10 cents/gallon more, the last time I filled up my car (I have my wife's today, which takes regular) it was like 25 cents/gallon more for mid grade and another 15 or so cents/gallon more for super.

I usually fill it up at BJ's, the price of their super is around the same price of everyone's mid grade. Unfortunately I have a turbo on my car and the one time I didn't use super the computer couldn't seem to adjust and compensate for it enough. I figure since I don't put a ton of miles on it I will splurge for the super from now on.

bvibert

Staff member
I usually fill it up at BJ's, the price of their super is around the same price of everyone's mid grade. Unfortunately I have a turbo on my car and the one time I didn't use super the computer couldn't seem to adjust and compensate for it enough. I figure since I don't put a ton of miles on it I will splurge for the super from now on.

My car also has a turbo, and there's nothing unfortunate about it. 89 octane seems to work well enough in it.

SkiFanE

I use Super. Considered skimping. Then I was forced to skimp b/c the station was out of Super so I got premium. I usually fill up on Friday. The car sat all weekend w/o being used. Then Monday AM on way to work, a mile from home the car stalled 3x. Luckily it kept going and hasn't stalled since..but I think it was the mid-grade gas...my car is spoiled. Not worth saving a few dollars.

mondeo

My car also has a turbo, and there's nothing unfortunate about it. 89 octane seems to work well enough in it.
14.5PSIA of boost. I go with 93. I just look at it as an entertainment expense.

Check my record and hit me if I've ever complained about gas prices.

I use Super. Considered skimping. Then I was forced to skimp b/c the station was out of Super so I got premium. I usually fill up on Friday. The car sat all weekend w/o being used. Then Monday AM on way to work, a mile from home the car stalled 3x. Luckily it kept going and hasn't stalled since..but I think it was the mid-grade gas...my car is spoiled. Not worth saving a few dollars.
That...shouldn't happen. Timing should be retarded and you lose power, but it shouldn't be so bad stepping from 93 to 89 that it stalls.

ctenidae

I put super in both cars (finally managed to convince my wife that the extra $4-$5 per fillup for her car is worth it (especially since she gasses it on the company card).). I notice a significant difference in performance, to be sure, and at least a perceved difference in mileage.

I've been paying attention to mileage a lot the past few weeks, especially since traffic has been particualry awful on 95 (lower gas prices?). In the morning, when traffic is bad but moves at 15-20mph semi consistently, I get about 18-19 mpg. In the evening, if I leave work between 5 and 7 and it's really bad (averaged 11 mph last night), I average about 15-16 mpg (15.4 last night). If I leave at a more normal (for me) hour, like 7.30 or 8, when traffic is light and I can run at normal speeds (70-80 on the highway consistently) I hit 24-25 mpg.

Which all reminds me of a Top Gear TOp Tip from a few weeks ago- every time you hit your brakes, you're turning that valuable gasoline into useless heat. And when you follow close on to someone, and hit your brakes, causing the person behind you to hit even harder, and the person behind that to stop, you are reducing everyone behind you's mileage by as much as 30%. So leave a decent following distance, drive thinking ahead, and stop wasting my gas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, I think I'm in for a marital battle over vehicle practicality. When it's time for a new car, my wife wants a Jeep Wrangler :rolleyes:

granted with her only putting 10K miles a year on a car vs me 35-40K, our perspectives are a bit different.

o3jeff

So, I think I'm in for a marital battle over vehicle practicality. When it's time for a new car, my wife wants a Jeep Wrangler :rolleyes:

granted with her only putting 10K miles a year on a car vs me 35-40K, our perspectives are a bit different.

I've had two of them over the past 2-3 years, a 2003 and a 2009(2 dr) and have since gotten rid of both. They are neat, but just wasn't for me right now. If it is just around town it was fine, but after I took it to the Bronx Zoo I realized the ride wasn't for me. Someone once said if you are looking for a car with with no storage, bad gas mileage and a bouncy ride, look no further than a Wrangler. They are coming out with a new engine in the next year or so for it that is suppose to be a lot better. The only good thing is they hold their value. I bought the 2009 when they had all kinds of incentives/rebates(during the government bailout) and ended up selling it a year later for more than I paid for it.

SkiFanE

That...shouldn't happen. Timing should be retarded and you lose power, but it shouldn't be so bad stepping from 93 to 89 that it stalls.

No kidding...I'd expect knocking and pinging. But it was so coincidental...this car has never stalled before, so that's the only reason I could come up with.

SkiFanE

I put super in both cars (finally managed to convince my wife that the extra $4-$5 per fillup for her car is worth it (especially since she gasses it on the company card).). I notice a significant difference in performance, to be sure, and at least a perceved difference in mileage.

I've been paying attention to mileage a lot the past few weeks, especially since traffic has been particualry awful on 95 (lower gas prices?). In the morning, when traffic is bad but moves at 15-20mph semi consistently, I get about 18-19 mpg. In the evening, if I leave work between 5 and 7 and it's really bad (averaged 11 mph last night), I average about 15-16 mpg (15.4 last night). If I leave at a more normal (for me) hour, like 7.30 or 8, when traffic is light and I can run at normal speeds (70-80 on the highway consistently) I hit 24-25 mpg.

Which all reminds me of a Top Gear TOp Tip from a few weeks ago- every time you hit your brakes, you're turning that valuable gasoline into useless heat. And when you follow close on to someone, and hit your brakes, causing the person behind you to hit even harder, and the person behind that to stop, you are reducing everyone behind you's mileage by as much as 30%. So leave a decent following distance, drive thinking ahead, and stop wasting my gas.

Yeah..what's up with 95? I drive 128 every day and it's been getting worse and worse every week. Thought maybe the job market is improving?

deadheadskier

Staff member
She wants the 4 door, which I guess has a bit more storage. The convertible top is the main attraction for her. I guess I'd enjoy that and it would be nice to be able to get to the mountain with no worries no matter how much it snows. We'll see, it'll be a few years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah..what's up with 95? I drive 128 every day and it's been getting worse and worse every week. Thought maybe the job market is improving?

I'm guessing it's people adjusting their driving pattern due to the Medford Fast 14 project.

ctenidae

I'm guessing it's people adjusting their driving pattern due to the Medford Fast 14 project.

Maybe, but I'm in Connecticut, and it's really getting bad.
People think Mass drivers are bad- Nutmeggers make Massholes look like 80 year old women going to church.