• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Price

How do you pay for gas?

• Cash

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Credit

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Debit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Check

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

steamboat1

I haven't checked heating oil prices yet this year, should at least call & ask. Last year the cost was $3.29 for most of the season. The last fill up of 100 gal. in May cost $3.79, it's still full. Hot water, stove, BBQ & dryer are on gas. I haven't locked in a price for 2 years. I did for several years previous & it worked out. 1st year I didn't it was to my advantage by over $1 gal., last year I could have locked in @ $2.79 so I lost. I use between 500- 600 gal. for the heating season. It's probably to late to consider locking in price now but who knows maybe I should roll the dice again.

Regular gas in NYC is between $3.65 & $3.75 for the most part. I did pay $3.23 in NJ last week when I was passing through.

Last edited:

Geoff

My Vermont place is on a metered propane tank. I'm locked in for the year at $2.20 which is a lot higher than it has been.

Heating oil contains 140,000 BTUs per gallon.
Propane contains 91,300 BTUs per gallon

So that's like paying $3.37 for home heating oil

My Vermont place is a townhouse condo so most of my walls are shared with other heated units. I might see a $300-ish bill in January assuming I'm there for the whole month and keep it at 68F.

My VW GTI requires 91 octane gasoline. Recently, 87 octane 'regular' has been available at fairly low prices but 'premium' prices never went down. I see $3.30-ish for 'regular' and $3.80-ish for 'premium'.

Zand

$3.39 back home at Cumby's and Hess... $3.51 at Cumby's in Lyndonville yet $3.60 down in St. J... love how 10 miles away it can change 10 cents.

wa-loaf

I just ask the attendant if he wants to go for a ride in my Ferrari. My cost, $0.

Is that some kind of code for offering sexual favor for free gas?

BJs, the store not the sex act, was $3.35 on Saturday.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Is that some kind of code for offering sexual favor for free gas?

BJs, the store not the sex act, was $3.35 on Saturday.

Why do my comments elicit these type of responses! :evil: I'm too naive and innocent to even think such nasty thoughts. :puke: Reminds me of someone who was banned not too far back in time.

Just stick with my cheapness threads and you won't feel so threatened. :grin:.

p.s., lest me comments become twisted. All the above is in jest. I think.:rolleyes:

ctenidae

If east coast refineries close the way it looks like they're going to, might be a bad thing for gas prices. mIght be a really bad thing for heating oil (thanks, New York...)

Last edited:

snoseek

335 today in Hookset. I'm not looking forward to the upcoming 3000 mile drive to California-that's gonna hurt. I am parking the truck for the winter mostly though

wa-loaf

Going back up, $3.91 for the cheap stuff this morning.

Come to MA, still in the $3.60's. I guess we are exporting gas now because they get more money for it overseas, so our prices are going up.

drjeff

Come to MA, still in the $3.60's. I guess we are exporting gas now because they get more money for it overseas, so our prices are going up.

Being a CT resident, I do enjoy the fact that where my office is located, I'm 1 town down from MA and bordering RI so it's just a quick run across a border to my choice of states that have far lower gas taxes than CT does!

Quickest way to drop the cost of gas by about 75 cents a gallon on average, suspend all state and federal gas taxes

ctenidae

Actually, we're importing more- gasoline-focused refineries in the US have been shutting down. Ones that run heavy deisel slates are doing much better.

wa-loaf

Actually, we're importing more- gasoline-focused refineries in the US have been shutting down. Ones that run heavy deisel slates are doing much better.

I heard on the radio, probably Market Place on NPR, that the low cost of natural gas is making it very cheap to refine gas in the US an thus we are selling that gas to Mexico and other countries because the refiners get more money for it there.

ctenidae

I heard on the radio, probably Market Place on NPR, that the low cost of natural gas is making it very cheap to refine gas in the US an thus we are selling that gas to Mexico and other countries because the refiners get more money for it there.

We recently bought a set of refineries. Gasoline crack spreads suck. Deisel spreads are good.

The cost to refine gas may not be high, but the margin on gas with oil where it is is still low.

steamboat1

Three southeastern Pennsylvania refineries that comprise over 50% of the total refining capacity in the Northeast (Central Atlantic and New England States) have recently been proposed for sale. Two of these refineries have already been idled. In early September 2011, Sunoco announced plans to sell its refineries located in Philadelphia and Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, with the intent of exiting the refinery business by mid-2012. Later that month, ConocoPhillips announced its intention to idle its Trainer refinery pending its sale, along with the associated pipelines and terminals. On December 1, Sunoco announced the immediate idling of the Marcus Hook refinery.

source: http://205.254.135.24/analysis/petroleum/nerefiningactivity/

Guess there's not much money in the refinery business.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Mexico is the third largest source of imported oil to the U.S.

source: http://www.eia.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Funny I don't see Libya on the list as oil export disruptions from there was the excuse used to release 30 million barrels from the strategic petroleum reserve this past June...:dontknow:

You can see how that helped.

Last edited: