• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that the GOOD thing for the ski industry is that this expansion will be one of the largest that the industry has seen in a LONG time, and may very well not see again for a LONG time (The Balsams, if it can happen might be the only similar type numerous new peaks and lifts one in the US that I can think of off the top of my head potentially in the pipeline) , and IMHO it's good to see expansion that is more than just a single new lift and some trails off of that lift
"OK, now you are praising my competitor and going off script. Not good! You'd better not make any more 'serious mistakes in life' or maybe the wing on your plane will fall off or somethin'."

rob_katz_0.jpg
KP5IVSWIYBNADKT74OBUKC4N3E.jpg

FBGM

Your idea is circa 2013 or so if not way before that. It's called One Wasatch. Ski Utah was pushing it. The connection was going to be from Park City to Brighton, and then Brighton/Solitude over to Alta. It could be done with as few as two lifts and some limited ski terrain. The BC community yelled and screamed.

Then Talisker pushed Ski Link to connect Canyons to Solitude. The BC community yelled and screamed. Talisker had Vail take over Canyons and that idea died because Vail completed its hostile takeover of Park City an connected Canyons to it. Additionally, the (then) owners of Deer Valley bought Solitude to stymy Ski Link and Vail and shouted, "checkmate!" before ultimately selling to the other big ski conglomerate.

Ski Utah and company gave up on those ideas and are now pushing for the LCC Gondola. The BC community has yelled and screamed.

See the constant factor here? ;)
I actually had the plans for the PC to Brighton/BCC connect. That was very close to happening. Right before the “I forgot to renew my lease shit show”.

BCC/LCC connect would be easy logistically. And quite mellow terrain even. But that’s more forest service land as the other connect is almost all private.

I’ve skied/toured them all both ways. I was all about connecting as many as possible.

Now I have no idea about land issues backside of OG park city mountain. Someone took land back or wouldn’t lease to Vail at one point. Then the city or county bought the Guardsman Pass area. Still private chunks in places. You have the Colony mess there back of Pinecone as well.

Utah skiing is a mess. To many people, to much money, not enough space.

FBGM

I even remember alignment of new lifts and survey work we had done. I could probably draw it out on top of google earth from what I remember. It was quite interesting

4aprice

I think that the GOOD thing for the ski industry is that this expansion will be one of the largest that the industry has seen in a LONG time, and may very well not see again for a LONG time (The Balsams, if it can happen might be the only similar type numerous new peaks and lifts one in the US that I can think of off the top of my head potentially in the pipeline) , and IMHO it's good to see expansion that is more than just a single new lift and some trails off of that lift
Winter Park has a pretty huge expansion planned including a gondola into town from the resort base and lifts on the far side of Vazquez Cirque if they ever get off the ground

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Is there really zero interesting terrain in the entire new 3700 acres ?

There'll certainly be some good pockets. But the majority of terrain will be freeze/thaw groomer skiing that gets less snowfall than southern Vermont. The 2 major upper mountain lifts are definitely promising, don't get me wrong. But to look at this map and say "wow! 3,700 acres of good skiing!" is naïve and that's where this plan is mildly misleading. Look at allllll those lifts and trails and plots of land at the base. That is what's all going to be crap skiing. If this was centered around quality ski terrain it'd be the upper area lifts and the long Gondola to DV proper with a handful of trails to the base (like the Jordanelle area if you're looking at a current DV map).

dvexpansionmap.webp

I'm not trying to be negative, just tempering expectations. I am all for this proposal for the utilitarian aspects of it. And I don't like to wish misfortune on others but I will certainly be chuckling to myself driving by when all those "ski in ski out" homesites have bare ground all but Christmas-St. Patty's.

machski

Yeah, nobody was clamoring for this expansion or "new" resort. If anything it was the opposite. The only ones who were demanding this were a few folks who placed themselves to take advantage of a regulatory/tax loophole created 25 years ago when Snowbasin expanded and had to raze a rustic cabin that Hill Air Force Base personnel used for recreation. Now it has morphed into this. But hey, at least we're showing those who serve how much we appreciate them by giving them a (slightly) discounted luxury hotel room?

And as to the terrain, big meh. In all my times skiing Deer Valley, the Mayflower side consistently has the worst, and least, snow. It just does. There are a fair number of days when I've barely seen enough cover to ski Mayflower Bowl. Notice how the short lift on Bald Summit has no ski terrain and is just a connector lift. That meadow area is almost always thin snow on grass/sage due to exposure. It's also telling that the snowmaking infrastructure is called out. DV just does not get as much snow as the rest of the Wasatch. It is on the wrong side of the mountains.
Yeah, I have been to DV twice. Both times I ventured over to Mayflower bowl, it was thinner (felt like I was back in the East 😝). I also remember they rated it Double Black and laughed my ass off at that. Was a nice respite from crowds though, that old Yan Triple is almost always empty back there.

BenedictGomez

Is there really zero interesting terrain in the entire new 3700 acres ?

It would likely be better than anything in the east. I've always said these eastern conversations about western mountains that "suck" always make me chuckle.

This is going to sell many multi-million dollar homes, give DV another access point (arguably the easiest in Utah given the highway, parking, and out of base capacity), and sell more Ikon passes. Skiing is secondary.

Definitely. And it was recently announced Tiger Woods is building a golf course up there, which will be one of the highest elevation golf courses in America. You can see from where I live the roads are already being built, but they're still dirt. I imagine it's going to be the Park City model, whereby the homes are $2.5M and up, sold, but nobody actually lives there. Rich peoples toys to be used a few times per year, and Wasatch County will reap the property tax benefits. That's my guess anyway.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I mean, wouldn't that be a success if true?

What you just described is called, "ski season" for the overwhelming majority of the skier demographic masses.

Yes/no. Big problem is seasonal labor. You can't expect to hire 200 lifts and tell half of them they don't have a job for the first 2 weeks and final 3 weeks of the season (and DV already has a relatively short season... one reason why I did not take a supervisory position there).

And peak season is a bit longer here than back East. December 15 or so til the first week in April. You definitely want all your portals open by the week before Christmas, that's a huge private school vacation week, and exactly DV's clientele.
I think it'll be like Skyeship at Killington. Nice to have it open Christmas-April 1, and a noticable, but not intolerable strain on the resort if it's not open by then or closes early.

crank

I haven't been to DV in years. Actually lived in Heber for a few months decades ago. When it's built I will visit.

raisingarizona

Utah's snow expert weighs in.

Utah skiers are extremely spoiled. The low elevations numbers aren’t as bad as everyone makes it sound. They’ll need snowmaking on the clutch runs so people can access the skiing from their expensive homes and that’s what this is all about, DV has always been about the real estate. Duh.

The cottonwood canyon skiers aren’t their target market either. Most of their clientele don’t care about steeps and epic terrain. They want to cruise groomers and eat killer food. Less snow is honestly a good thing for that market.

crank

Less snow can be a thing.

I've been on more than 1 ski week with my ski club where it was very snowy and, of course, I was in my glory! However, I heard more than just a few of our group complaining about too much snow and lack of nice sunny days.

So yeah there is a segment of skiers... or maybe ski-tourists? who are very happy with groomers and sun and some good food and a bit of luxury. I don't hate that myself except for the groomers part.