• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

BenedictGomez

I'm assuming you know you can buy the ingredients minus the ground turkey in the super market in Park City. My wife brings home a couple of packages every year when we are out in Utah
Yes. You also need to add a few fresh chopped things like celery. But the package doesn't say what all the spices are, they only tell you that in the class.

But it's a bit misleading as advertised, because they won't tell you the exact sums for each spice ingredient, "that's a secret", so you have to try to figure it out.

BenedictGomez

That’s fucking hilarious.
Not only that but I actually did have to ask. Not sure is they just forgot or if they don't give it out unless someone specifically asks for it.

Anyway, believe it or not they make 300 gallons of that S each day during the season (I asked that too).

drjeff

Not only that but I actually did have to ask. Not sure is they just forgot or if they don't give it out unless someone specifically asks for it.

Anyway, believe it or not they make 300 gallons of that S each day during the season (I asked that too).
I would believe that between their 3 lodges!

Heck, I can't remember the last time I was at DV and my meal didn't consist of a bowl of their turkey chili and a slice of their German Chocolate Cake!

BenedictGomez

most of the runs are already cut and graded

They've certainly done a good bit already. I dont know what "graded" means, but I don't think most of those runs are cut yet.

I don't see anything really on the farthest left of that map. Most of what's done is near the big Mayflower structure that's far along. Interestingly (IMO anyway), several of the already cut trails are very wide boulevards, which seems counterintuitive to me for an area which will clearly need substantial snowmaking help.

The best vantage you can get of the area to view progress is from above the Jordanelle near the dam, heading to Kamas.

BenedictGomez

I see it appears the gondy rumored to be going from Mayflower to Snowpark's apparently been scrapped given it's not on the below diagram. So much for the, "everyone who lives on the Wasatch Back can take the gondola to work instead of driving to Park City" talking point, I called that out some pages back as ridiculous BS.

Apparently the uber-long gondy concept wasn't scrapped, though I dont get why it isn't in their resort diagram. And apparently I wasnt the only one who thought this is ridiculous as there's now a court challenge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Apparently the uber-long gondy concept wasn't scrapped, though I dont get why it isn't in their resort diagram. And apparently I wasnt the only one who thought this is ridiculous as there's now a court challenge.

It just shows how Alterra has so much money that they can spend it foolishly on projects and try to spin them to appease critics by labeling them as "public transit". Meanwhile Sugarbush has main critical lifts that are over 30 years old and on their last legs. Alterra won't replace those and instead spends $100's of millions of dollars on unnecessary projects at Steamboat and Deer Valley.

crystalmountainskier

It just shows how Alterra has so much money that they can spend it foolishly on projects and try to spin them to appease critics by labeling them as "public transit". Meanwhile Sugarbush has main critical lifts that are over 30 years old and on their last legs. Alterra won't replace those and instead spends $100's of millions of dollars on unnecessary projects at Steamboat and Deer Valley.
They're literally building a new lift at Sugarbush this summer and another next.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They're literally building a new lift at Sugarbush this summer and another next.
Check out the SB thread. NRX barely operates correctly. They should replace it ASAP. Inverness has also had issues. Super Bravo has its moments and will be 30 years old in 2025.

I think fixing multiple lifts that are getting old and having issues should be a higher priority than installing dumb and unnecessary expansion lifts. But not my money….

BenedictGomez

Alterra has so much money that they can spend it foolishly on projects and try to spin them to appease critics by labeling them as "public transit".

It's clearly BS. I can be at the Jordanelle Gondola in about 13 minutes or so, and I've timed Deer Valley's main entrance (Snowpark) at 24 minutes. So why the hell would I park at Mayflower and take a long azz gondy ride that's gotta be what, 20 minutes?* Rather than just driving an extra 10 minutes? I guess you could make the argument it would save a gallon of gas roundtrip, but I think that's really reaching.

*EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna' work out some maths. The Mayflower to Silver Lodge to Snowpark proposed route per Google Map's measurement tool is 3.5 miles on the button. Per Liftblog the Jordanelle Express goes 16.57 fps & Red Pine Gondola does 16.59 fps, so I'll assume those are both good analogues. Doing that division on the much longer 3.5 mile route = an 18.6 minute trip. Figure an extra minute or so waiting on line + loading & unloading and 20 minutes seems about right. I'd just stay in my comfy SUV listening to SiriusXM. This entire conversation, of course, assumes there are many people in Kamas, Heber City, Midway etc... skiing at Deer Valley, and I speculate that isnt the case and far more ski at Park City, but whatever. I really think the entire (hidden) point of this thing is to "Disneyworld" the customer and keep them on your property the entire time for breakfast, lunch, dinner, shopping, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, yada, yada, yada.... It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

It's clearly BS. I can be at the Jordanelle Gondola in about 13 minutes or so, and I've timed Deer Valley's main entrance (Snowpark) at 24 minutes. So why the hell would I park at Mayflower and take a long azz gondy ride that's gotta be what, 20 minutes?* Rather than just driving an extra 10 minutes? I guess you could make the argument it would save a gallon of gas roundtrip, but I think that's really reaching.

*EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna' work out some maths. The Mayflower to Silver Lodge to Snowpark proposed route per Google Map's measurement tool is 3.5 miles on the button. Per Liftblog the Jordanelle Express goes 16.57 fps & Red Pine Gondola does 16.59 fps, so I'll assume those are both good analogues. Doing that division on the much longer 3.5 mile route = an 18.6 minute trip. Figure an extra minute or so waiting on line + loading & unloading and 20 minutes seems about right. I'd just stay in my comfy SUV listening to SiriusXM. This entire conversation, of course, assumes there are many people in Kamas, Heber City, Midway etc... skiing at Deer Valley, and I speculate that isnt the case and far more ski at Park City, but whatever. I really think the entire (hidden) point of this thing is to "Disneyworld" the customer and keep them on your property the entire time for breakfast, lunch, dinner, shopping, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, yada, yada, yada.... It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
If there's traffic that extra drive can be a head ache and a lot longer than 10 more minutes. that's part of the point, it's to cut down on that traffic. The Telluride transit gondola definitely has worked well for there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If there's traffic that extra drive can be a head ache and a lot longer than 10 more minutes. that's part of the point, it's to cut down on that traffic. The Telluride transit gondola definitely has worked well for there.
That's what Alterra wants you to think. I, too, like the Telluride gondola (and it is going to be replaced soon). But there are some pretty big distinctions here. First, the DV proposal is a true ski lift. It is NOT for transit. The Telluride Gondola works to connect the Mountain Village with historic Downtown Telluride. This lift starts and ends in DV and does not connect to Park City proper. At one time there WAS a proposal to run a lift from DV to Park City, but that has been scrapped. Second, it will NOT be free. Even if they sell single rides for transit, expect dynamic pricing and other B.S. that Alterra is moving towards thanks to its CEO. Third, it really only benefits DV and nobody else really. Don't expect Park City Skiers and Riders to use it to transit.

It is a massive ski expansion masquerading as a "transit alternative" in order to appease the neighbors. It's a facade.

BenedictGomez

If there's traffic that extra drive can be a head ache and a lot longer than 10 more minutes. that's part of the point, it's to cut down on that traffic.

What is this thing called, "traffic", which you speak of?

Outside of school mornings & powder days, inbound traffic is basically nonexistent. The outbound traffic is end-of-day only. This is really a molehill mountain.

eatskisleep

Hey! This sounds like the Vail Sucks thread!!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What is this thing called, "traffic", which you speak of?

Outside of school mornings & powder days, inbound traffic is basically nonexistent. The outbound traffic is end-of-day only. This is really a molehill mountain.

I just ranted in skitalk about someone concerned about the drive to altabird on a weekend. OFC its worth it. An extra 30-60 minutes each way to ski the greatest snow on earth? How tf is that not worth it