• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

kingslug

As I understand it..that ride could be 3 hours up..3 to 4 hours back...
That sounds like the max on a snowy weekend.
But I know people that live 10 to 15 minutes from the base of lcc...and have to go elsewhere many times.

Tonyr

As I understand it..that ride could be 3 hours up..3 to 4 hours back...
That sounds like the max on a snowy weekend.
But I know people that live 10 to 15 minutes from the base of lcc...and have to go elsewhere many times.
This is part of the reason why it costs around $700 per night to stay in a standard room at the Cliff Lodge now. People are paying that ridiculous price to avoid the traffic headache. At one point, the Cliff was the largest hotel in the state of Utah.

BenedictGomez

If only there was a solution to having to drive up and down the canyon...
SLC eco-leftists with "no" for their answer to everything, are going to kill the golden goose.

"MOAR busses" is their only "solution", but it doesn't take the mathematical mind of Archimedes to realize that simply does not work, especially with the population growth projections going forward. Maybe if you banned all cars & only ran tons of busses the math could work, but I haven't seen that proposed. Staging for that would be a logistical nightmare too given most people go up 8:30am - 10am and come down 3pm - 4:30pm. That would also be terrible & cost a poop-ton of money, but I imagine the eco-extremists would love that, especially if they're all "electric buses" & the drivers are Unionized.

BenedictGomez

Sneak peak at some of the new Deer Valley terrain coming in a year or two.

This video furthers my contrarian belief that this terrain's going to be a lot better than most people are currently expecting, at least from about January 15th - April 15th.

4aprice

Looks good. Hopefully it spreads some things out. Kind of planning to skip DV when we get out there next week and stay in the front, (except for a little apres in PC one evening), but when that section opens up I'll get back there to check it out.

Smellytele

Sneak peak at some of the new Deer Valley terrain coming in a year or two.

This video furthers my contrarian belief that this terrain's going to be a lot better than most people are currently expecting, at least from about January 15th - April 15th.

Looks like okemo with snow.

Tonyr

That section of the new mountain is supposedly where the steepest skiing will be but who knows....
1000038114.jpg

From the video, I thought the tree skiing looked like it could be pretty good. It also appears that the new terrain definitely gets alot more snow than what people have been saying. The views back there are very nice too.

BenedictGomez

I agree it looks very unsteep. Not saying it's bad, but itll be blue squarish.

You can already see a bunch of the trails cut from the highway, so it will run the gamut. Plenty of blues for sure, but harder stuff higher up. I doubt they'd be allowed to ski the steepest stuff in a literally unopen area for what is 100% a PR piece. Deer Valley does have lawyers.

jimmywilson69

Lets be honest if it is mostly blue square terrain, that is pretty much what most people ski. Remember a place like Deer Valley gets A LOT of the 1 week a year skiers from places where there really isn't skiing easily accessible to them like us in the northeast have.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the video, I thought the tree skiing looked like it could be pretty good. It also appears that the new terrain definitely gets alot more snow than what people have been saying. The views back there are very nice too.
We're having a very good snow year.....

Tonyr

We're having a very good snow year.....
Yes it's definitely a good snow year with a month still to go....

1000038121.jpg
The other thing to keep in mind though is that none of the coverage, which looks really good in the video, includes snowmaking. Supposedly a majority of that area will have snowmaking on the trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member
it really took them 3 years to think of that?
You mean the wildlife habitat?

I still laugh as to how much of a waste it is to put in a fancy six-pack for such a short run and a small area. I get that it is a shuttle lift, but it seems like a real waste.

I talked with a lift mechanic from Deer Valley the other day while skiing at Brighton. He said that Extel is footing most of the bill for this lift and the other expansion lifts.