• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Soaker

awf170

Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
skinut said:
Fog, however, eats it up quickly. Warm temps and sun will melt it. Overnight freezing temps will freeze it.
Yes, true again.
I always thought fog was a result of rapidly melting snow, not the cause of it, i.e. when warm moist air overruns snowpack, the snow has a condensing effect on the moisture in the air = fog. I was under the impression that it's the warm air that's melting the snow. Perhaps, I'm wrong and the snow is actually subliming (i.e. passing from a solid to gaseous state). Maybe it's both. Anyone know for sure? Either way, fog sucks...

ya fog is caused by the snow melting, i just learned that in chemistry class last week, you can probably get fog that causes snow melt but i think that is less common.

dmc

Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:
They haven't stopped blowing snow up there, have they?
I would guess that probably no Northeast ski area has made snow since January or early February...

:roll: :roll:

3rd shift of Belleayre was at work making snow this past week!

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Hows this for an honest report

Smuggs Snow Report Text Messages

Date: Mon, Mar 28, 2005 Time: 10:00 AM Trails Open: 60 Lifts Operating: 6
Current Weather: partly cloudy skies, drizzle and 38 degrees in the Village.
Forecast: freezing rain early, then rain, with temps of 33 - 39 degrees, and winds of 12 - 45 mph.
New Snow:
Base Depths - Trails w/ Snowmaking: 30 - 54 inches w/ Natural Snow: 26 - 38 inches
Snow Surface - Primary: Machine Groomed Secondary: Loose Granular
Comments: Madonna 1 is on temporary wind hold. Comedian Steve Van Zandt on Fri., Apr. 1, Brewfest on Sat., Apr. 2.
Prohibition Park: Open Superpipe: Open and recut 3/24
Birch Run Park: NEW Progression Pipe The Zone: Open

Greg

Staff member
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:
I would guess that probably no Northeast ski area has made snow since January or early February...

Really? Do you know this as fact?

S

skinut

All I know.

When I worked in a Vt. ski shop one year, they let me go after Easter on the reasoning that this was the end of the tourist season. After that I put in a number of excellent days on the slopes. many of them were powder days. It seems that the people in the N.E. cities think that this is the last day for skiing especially if it is the beginning of mild weather. Ever since that year, I have had a ball taking advantage of spring skiing. There is less traffic on the hiways, lower lodging costs and great conditions (unless you sunburn easily).

Bandit2941

Greg said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:

Yessir. I saw fresh whales this weekend with guns still set up and noticed how the trees around them still had ice build up. Then I ran in to a friend of mine who is the head snowmaker on the 2nd shift and he said that 3rd shift was at it this past week. I believe he said they had 'em going Sunday night then again tues night. So yes, first hand information that they were still at it as of last week.

The "official" unofficial closing day is Apr 24th, but the latest widespread rumors I heard this weekend is that they're going to try for a May 1st closing date!!! Wouldn't that be something if they pulled it off! The Hunter boys wouldn't dare set foot in the bar if that happened! (last year chants of "hunter sucks!" could be heard in the bar on closing day, april 18 since Hunter closed a week earlier).

Jamie

S

skinut

There's a lot of good wales out there. Employees love this time of the year, and they work for it. They get laid off, collect unemployment and ski!!!

bvibert

Staff member
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:

Yessir. I saw fresh whales this weekend with guns still set up and noticed how the trees around them still had ice build up. Then I ran in to a friend of mine who is the head snowmaker on the 2nd shift and he said that 3rd shift was at it this past week. I believe he said they had 'em going Sunday night then again tues night. So yes, first hand information that they were still at it as of last week.

The "official" unofficial closing day is Apr 24th, but the latest widespread rumors I heard this weekend is that they're going to try for a May 1st closing date!!! Wouldn't that be something if they pulled it off! The Hunter boys wouldn't dare set foot in the bar if that happened! (last year chants of "hunter sucks!" could be heard in the bar on closing day, april 18 since Hunter closed a week earlier).

Jamie

Thats surprising to me, do they pull in enough business in the spring to make it worth while to run their guns that long? Snow making isn't cheap...

S

skinut

bvibert said:
Thats surprising to me, do they pull in enough business in the spring to make it worth while to run their guns that long? Snow making isn't cheap...
Resorts stay open in the spring to keep their season ticket holders happy. They won't take the money in until next fall, but it is important revenue for them.

bvibert

Staff member
skinut said:
bvibert said:
Resorts stay open in the spring to keep their season ticket holders happy. They won't take the money in until next fall, but it is important revenue for them.

Thats true, but there has to be a fine line there...

Bandit2941

bvibert said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:

Jamie

I asked that exact question. I don't understand the whole deal but apparently with how the electricity gets sold they are limited to a certain # of KW's during the daytime, till 10pm. After that it is pretty much unlimited. During the day, they pay the whole month's rate for the max they used in one hour. In other words, if they used 3200 KW's for one hour during one day of the month, they pay the whole month at that rate.

I asked my buddy how it could be cost effective to run the chairlifts and he said since the electricity structure is like that it doesn't matter whether they shut them off or let them run later. He said as long as there are enough skiers to break even they don't mind staying open (and its cheap to pay the small amount of staff they need to stay open).

Greg

Staff member
Bandit2941 said:
bvibert said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
Bandit2941 said:
Greg said:
skinut said:

Jamie

I asked that exact question. I don't understand the whole deal but apparently with how the electricity gets sold they are limited to a certain # of KW's during the daytime, till 10pm. After that it is pretty much unlimited. During the day, they pay the whole month's rate for the max they used in one hour. In other words, if they used 3200 KW's for one hour during one day of the month, they pay the whole month at that rate.

I asked my buddy how it could be cost effective to run the chairlifts and he said since the electricity structure is like that it doesn't matter whether they shut them off or let them run later. He said as long as there are enough skiers to break even they don't mind staying open (and its cheap to pay the small amount of staff they need to stay open).
All very interesting stuff. Thanks Bandit2941. I guess being able to outlast Hunter has some inherent marketing value...