• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River lift evac

chuckstah

On the South Ridge express. Only a handful of people were on it making it a quickI process. Seems like there have been more than notmal this season.
A crappy picture

Attachments

• 1460302671375.jpg
    1460302671375.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 248

machski

Not the first time South Ridge Express has been evac'd either.

Posted*February 19, 2011

INCREASE FONT SIZE

Chairlift malfunction triggers lift evacuation at Sunday River

A blown bearing on the South Ridge Express chairlift led to the evacuation of nearly 160 skiers and riders from the lift, which has now been repaired and reopened.

Jully

It's certainly an older lift, but I doubt this is anything serious. I'd be shocked if this led to any response by SR/Boyne. The Barker Quad is even older and should come first.

chuckstah

Whatever it was it was an easy fix. It was loading a couple hours later.

machski

It's certainly an older lift, but I doubt this is anything serious. I'd be shocked if this led to any response by SR/Boyne. The Barker Quad is even older and should come first.

Sort of, but Barker had been overhauled twice by Poma since South Ridge was installed. South Ridge is predominantly a beginner lift, so likely don't want to keep those type of clients up in a chair for long time periods (thus a quick decision to evac possibly).

Jully

Sort of, but Barker had been overhauled twice by Poma since South Ridge was installed. South Ridge is predominantly a beginner lift, so likely don't want to keep those type of clients up in a chair for long time periods (thus a quick decision to evac possibly).

Really good point, hadn't thought about that. Giving the beginners a better experience might be a higher priority. I'll be pretty annoyed if they do replace South Ridge before Barker though. That'll be the Chondola, North Peak Express, and then South Ridge replaced before any other major lift upgrade or install with all three of those on the primarily beginner / terrain park peak of the resort.

However, if they do make that replacement move, it'll be understandable given SR's commitment to beginners and families.

Barker is just so darn slow though (compared to Jordan, the Chondola, and North Peak) and one of the longer lifts at the resort.

machski

Really good point, hadn't thought about that. Giving the beginners a better experience might be a higher priority. I'll be pretty annoyed if they do replace South Ridge before Barker though. That'll be the Chondola, North Peak Express, and then South Ridge replaced before any other major lift upgrade or install with all three of those on the primarily beginner / terrain park peak of the resort.

However, if they do make that replacement move, it'll be understandable given SR's commitment to beginners and families.

Barker is just so darn slow though (compared to Jordan, the Chondola, and North Peak) and one of the longer lifts at the resort.

I doubt SR gets replaced anytime soon. But it is a workhorse in the winter since it and the chondi run 13+ hours a day Peak season twice a week for night skiing. It is also operated at a slow 700fpm as it is a beginner lift. Barker runs at 800fpm and probably due to the mix of Poma/Yan conversion stuff. They have less problems with it at that speed. I know for a fact Barker is the top replacement priority but given the amount of money dumped into it for the overhauls (first one was forced by the Yan flaws and bankruptcy), they still need to work off the ROI before replacement.

Newpylong

Discussing replacing SR I think is a bit premature given other lift priorities on the hill. Evacs happen, the root cause will be determined and fixed. Mountains often make the call to begin lift evac even if the lift can be restarted in a relatively short time period. Leaving customers sitting up in chairs is not something you want to occur.

steamboat1

Canyon Quad had to offload on diesel yesterday
I'm not saying something didn't happen to make them switch to diesel power but I've seen lifts at several resorts run on diesel power for days. Good timing for a breakdown on the Canyon quad though as I think they put it to sleep for the season yesterday.

benski

I'm not saying something didn't happen to make them switch to diesel power but I've seen lifts at several resorts run on diesel power for days. Good timing for a breakdown on the Canyon quad though as I think they put it to sleep for the season yesterday.

I know sugarbush ran the gmx on diesel to save electricity for snow making during christmas week.

Newpylong

I know sugarbush ran the gmx on diesel to save electricity for snow making during christmas week.

The diesel emergency/backup motors on detachable lifts do not have the HP (usually around 400 HP) of the electric motors (usually closer to a 1,000) and thus the line speed is reduced. Did they really do this, especially during a busy period?

SkiFanE

Wow was there both days and never heard about this. If you have to be evac'd that's the lift lol. Every time I tell my kids "dress as if you're going to be stuck on the chairlift for half an hour"... My son was once in cold wind...for 45 mins. Poor kid...kinda took my advice but not fully lol.