• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

xwhaler

I drove trucks today. Started with the F-150 which I really liked. Next was the Tundra which underwhelmed in comparison. Finally the Silverado. I need to go back and compare the F-150 and Silverado 1500. I liked the ride and interior style of the F-150. The Chevy seems more heavily discounted which gives you better features for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
Curious what you didn't like about the Tundra...I have an 07 and love it but have not looked at the new ones in comparison to the competition.

yeggous

Curious what you didn't like about the Tundra...I have an 07 and love it but have not looked at the new ones in comparison to the competition.

The F-150 had a very nice driver-facing interface and felt more connected to the road. Toyota gave you more for the money, but...

The cabin felt more cramped.
Fuel mileage was noticeably lower.
Dash layout was not as intuitive or friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Cannonball

The F-150 had a very nice driver-facing interface and felt more connected to the road. Toyota gave you more for the money, but...

The cabin felt more cramped.
Fuel mileage was noticeably lower.
Dash layout was not as intuitive or friendly.

Biggest difference to me between those is resale. Own that Tundra for 10 years and sell it for what you paid. Own that Ford for 10 years and pay someone to take it.

I bought my last Tundra used. Drove it for 5 very hard years of boat hauling and farm work. Crashed it very bad but the insurance company wouldn't total it since it had so much value still. Had it repaired, then sold it for barely ~$1K under what I originally paid. I would have been very happy to keep it but I was looking to downsize for MPGs. I miss that truck big time.

Look at some used trucks if you want to verify this.

Bene288

Biggest difference to me between those is resale. Own that Tundra for 10 years and sell it for what you paid. Own that Ford for 10 years and pay someone to take it.

I bought my last Tundra used. Drove it for 5 very hard years of boat hauling and farm work. Crashed it very bad but the insurance company wouldn't total it since it had so much value still. Had it repaired, then sold it for barely ~$1K under what I originally paid. I would have been very happy to keep it but I was looking to downsize for MPGs. I miss that truck big time.

Look at some used trucks if you want to verify this.

+1 cannot beat the Yota in quality and resale. Best of the three in my experience with them, as far as performing like a truck. But if your more interested in toys and gimmicks the Ford and GM win.

yeggous

To tie off the original topic, I pulled the trigger on a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Double Cab with the All-Star package, V8, all-terrain tires, and nav system. I added a bed liner and hard rolling tonneau cover which is really slick. We took the new truck to North Conway to ski Shawnee Peak and Bretton Woods this weekend.

My wife is especially happy with the purchase as:
1) it has a remote start via the OnStar app so it is warmed when we get to it
2) with all the gear in the covered bed she can put her seat all the way back and take a nap on the way home
3) she can take it to buy plants from the nursery in the spring

Terry

To tie off the original topic, I pulled the trigger on a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Double Cab with the All-Star package, V8, all-terrain tires, and nav system. I added a bed liner and hard rolling tonneau cover which is really slick. We took the new truck to North Conway to ski Shawnee Peak and Bretton Woods this weekend.

2) with all the gear in the covered bed she can put her seat all the way back and take a nap on the way home

Awesome choice. I probably saw you at Shawnee. Was there both days. It was skiing pretty well.

Rushski

Definitely a good choice. If I had needed the full size, I would have bought pretty much exactly the same.

HD333

How do you like the hard rolling tonneau cover?
My dad just bought a Silverado and he want to add some type of cover.
Was that a dealer arson or did you go elsewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeggous

This is what I bought:
http://bakindustries.com/p-30253-revolver-x2-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html

The dealer didn't stock any on-site so I found it on display at Car-Risma in Lowell. I ended up buying through the dealer (MacMulkin in Nashua) at a better price and they did the install along with the other prep. When I picked up the truck, the salesman said they he sold two more of them by showing off my truck with the cover in the one day it sat at the dealership.

It's much more expensive than a soft cover, comparable to a hard trifold, and significantly cheaper than a hard hinged cover. Expect to pay around $1000.

From a functionality perspective, I think it's the best compromise. The hard top is much more secure than a soft cover. It's not quite as secure as a bullet-proof hinged cover, but it more than gets the job done. With the hard metal cover, items are more secure in the bed than in the cab with glass windows. It rolls up out of the way and secures which makes it easier to use the full bed length than trifold or hinged cover would be. It just rolls and clicks into place which makes it easier to apply and remove than a roll-on soft cover.

dlague

I was thinking about something like that as my next option.

HD333

This is what I bought:
http://bakindustries.com/p-30253-revolver-x2-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html

The dealer didn't stock any on-site so I found it on display at Car-Risma in Lowell. I ended up buying through the dealer (MacMulkin in Nashua) at a better price and they did the install along with the other prep. When I picked up the truck, the salesman said they he sold two more of them by showing off my truck with the cover in the one day it sat at the dealership.

It's much more expensive than a soft cover, comparable to a hard trifold, and significantly cheaper than a hard hinged cover. Expect to pay around $1000.

From a functionality perspective, I think it's the best compromise. The hard top is much more secure than a soft cover. It's not quite as secure as a bullet-proof hinged cover, but it more than gets the job done. With the hard metal cover, items are more secure in the bed than in the cab with glass windows. It rolls up out of the way and secures which makes it easier to use the full bed length than trifold or hinged cover would be. It just rolls and clicks into place which makes it easier to apply and remove than a roll-on soft cover.

Awesome. I'll pass that info along. Congrats on the truck.

drjeff

Congrats!

I LOVE the Onstar App for my Acadia!! It's also fun to "mess" with my kids when I know they're near my car (and I'm not) and I can use the App to sound the horn and surprise them! ;) :lol:

cdskier

That rolling cover looks pretty neat. Congrats! I've always been a fan of Chevy's trucks.

Hawkshot99

How do you like the hard rolling tonneau cover?
My dad just bought a Silverado and he want to add some type of cover.
Was that a dealer arson or did you go elsewhere ?

I have the Pace Edwards Switchblade on my Tacoma. It works awesome. Very quick and easy to open or close.

I don't know what it would be for other models of trucks, but Auto Accessories Garage has them on sale for the Tacoma for $693 delivered as of last week. You need to use the ask a person pop up on their site as the price is lower than they are allowed to advertise.

I have a bed rack that is due via UPS today or tomarrow. It will allow me to sit my Thule box a few inches over the bed cover.

Whitey

Here it is.

Dude, you stole my truck! I've got the exact same one, probably a little older though. Greatest ski trip vehicle ever.

You've got the Toyota roof rack - why don't you just throw the Thule ski rack on there? That's where I put mine (I also have the same exact Thule you do). Also, why not just put a cap on the back? I know the cap is more expensive but it gives you a lot more room. I actually take my cap on and off summer (off) and winter (on).

hammer

Dude, you stole my truck! I've got the exact same one, probably a little older though. Greatest ski trip vehicle ever.

You've got the Toyota roof rack - why don't you just throw the Thule ski rack on there? That's where I put mine (I also have the same exact Thule you do). Also, why not just put a cap on the back? I know the cap is more expensive but it gives you a lot more room. I actually take my cap on and off summer (off) and winter (on).

Maybe there would be a clearance issue in a garage...I could never leave my ski box on my Toyota Highlander because it would be too tall for the garage door.

Whitey

Maybe there would be a clearance issue in a garage...I could never leave my ski box on my Toyota Highlander because it would be too tall for the garage door.

Ahh, that does make sense. I seem to be in the minority in that I take my Thule on and off when I use it. But I've got a pretty good/easy/out of the way place to put it when I am not using it. But if I was skiing more than I do (grrrrr. . . kids, grrrrr.... work, etc) then I am not sure that I would being taking mine on and off as much.