• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

Brad J

The new edge is nice, worth taking a look, Trucks are nice but I am not sure about the low 30's for one that I would want for a pleasure vehicle, I would want to many bells and whistles and drive up the price to high

steamboat1

Thule box. You'll get the 7 pairs of skis in, even boots & poles, then have enough room for 3 6ft' heroes (you guys might call them hogies, subs or grinders, have no idea). Been there done that.

We have the Thule Evolution and fitting 7 pair of adult skis is a stretch not to mention other things you mention. I ski on 186 skis and they are too long for the box. As a result they go in last and lay diagonal and that tweaks it while closing.

You obviously don't have the same box as me. The Evolution box comes in different lengths & widths. I have the longest, widest model. Not only do the skis fit length wise (I ski 182's) there's room for ski boots behind them also. While not 7 pairs of skis, boots, poles I had 4 pairs of skis, boots, poles in mine & three 6ft. heroes on top with room to spare. Even had a large bag with all our hat's, gloves & goggles in there too. Drove all the way from NYC to VT. like that without issue.

Highway Star

Have you looked at the Toyota Venza or Toyota Highlander? Both are pretty huge internally and should have no problem with many pairs of skis and 3 people.

Bumpsis

My brother has a Ford Edge and he thinks it's a piece of poop. I generally concur.
I agree. Had a rental for a few days. Although fairly nice to drive, horrible design in terms of space. Big on the outside and ridiculously small cargo capacity for something that big and heavy.
I also have personal bias against Fords which probably influenced by opinion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Saw a new Highlander today and they seem to have gotten a shit load smaller

Really? I thought the newer version seemed bigger.

I seem to recall the Highlander being introduced as a midsize option to slot between the 4runner and RAV4. Then the Highlander kept growing and now seems larger than the 4Runner to me.

x10003q

Hideous looking. But probably a very practical ski vehicle.

True on both accounts. I rented one when my wagon was in for repairs. It holds a ton, rides very nice and we got about 24 mpg for the weekend. It looks like a modern hearse.:wink:

yeggous

I have not yet looked at the Highlander. I did check out the Venza. It is surprisingly big but has been discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Highway Star

I have not yet looked at the Highlander. I did check out the Venza. It is surprisingly big but has been discontinued.

I didn't know the Venza was discontinued. Looks like there are still a few 2015's floating around. Maybe $5k less than a similar Highlander if you can get a deal. Also 500lb lighter and a 10% better gas mileage.

Last edited:

xwhaler

I really like the Venza actually. It was our #2 choice when we were SUV shopping a few yrs ago. My aunt has one and loves it. I'd get it over the Highlander

Smellytele

Highway Star is always wrong syndrome. New gen is 2.7" longer and a whopping 463 lb heavier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander

I bet the Venza and Highlander can both fit a pair of 175's straight in, not diagonal. Maybe even 185's with the front seat in a normal position.

Ya that's it like I give a fuck about proving you wrong - Just stating I saw one and it looked smaller. They seem to have rounder it out and it looked smaller than the boxer ones in the past.

yeggous

I drove trucks today. Started with the F-150 which I really liked. Next was the Tundra which underwhelmed in comparison. Finally the Silverado. I need to go back and compare the F-150 and Silverado 1500. I liked the ride and interior style of the F-150. The Chevy seems more heavily discounted which gives you better features for the price.

HD333

My Dad just went through this exercise. He went with a new 2015 Silverado. He felt the interior was roomier in the Chevy compared to the F150. They are heavily discounting the
15's too. He happened to find one on the lot that had everything he wanted so he lucked out.
I guess I have a truck to take stuff to the dump in now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bene288

I drove trucks today. Started with the F-150 which I really liked. Next was the Tundra which underwhelmed in comparison. Finally the Silverado. I need to go back and compare the F-150 and Silverado 1500. I liked the ride and interior style of the F-150. The Chevy seems more heavily discounted which gives you better features for the price.

I've personally owned all of these. Feel free to PM if you want an unbiased opinion.