• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

yeggous

Outback has a solid navi system, and you can get some kind of automated stop system - I forget what they call it. I almost went for it, but then they told me the cameras involved are sensitive to suds etc... so the dealer kind of discouraged it. Said if you run it through a car wash, you have to be careful the cameras don't get fouled. Or something like that....

Glad to hear it. I work on the nav system behind Subaru and 80% of the cars in the US and Europe. I was looking at the Mazda, but walked out when I realized it has a TomTom nav system. Now that I'm developing these systems for a living, I want to have one to use on a day-to-day basis. (It turns out mapping software pays much better than weather for the insurance industry.)

Bumpsis

How does the Thule rack impact fuel economy? Is it going to be a total pain to take on and off?

If you're looking for SUV that can carry 7 pairs of skis AND passengers, fuel economy is a contradictory concern here. So it's either a smaller vehicle with a container on top (Thule, Yakima) or get a Sienna Mini Van. Have one with 4 wheel drive and love it. You can pack whatever you want with ease and the fuel economy will be probably better than that of many big size SUVs. I get about 24 mpg on the highway with full cargo and 4 passengers.

yeggous

If you're looking for SUV that can carry 7 pairs of skis AND passengers, fuel economy is a contradictory concern here. So it's either a smaller vehicle with a container on top (Thule, Yakima) or get a Sienna Mini Van. Have one with 4 wheel drive and love it. You can pack whatever you want with ease and the fuel economy will be probably better than that of many big size SUVs. I get about 24 mpg on the highway with full cargo and 4 passengers.

I am looking to carry skis with only the small half of the back seat folded down.
And without moving the front seat forward.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

soulseller

I have a WRX hatch, my 186 skis fit snugly but doable. Surely an Outback or Forester offers more interior cargo space.

That being said, we bought a Yakima SkyBox this year and I love it. We have switched it back and forth between my car and the wife's Tiguan as needed, holds a metric ton of stuff and keeps the interior space clear which helps on long drives.

IMO, Yakima boxes are better then Thule, more aero, better latches and hinges, and open from both sides. We do not notice any road noise, and have observed a 1 mpg fuel economy difference.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree with others in that the rooftop box is the best option.

That said if you're driving with a seat folded down, I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble fitting the skis in if you angle them.

I drive a Mazda3 hatchback. I don't have the driver's seat all the way back, but fairly close. I routinely drive with 2-3 sets of skis in the car ranging from 175-180cm. Still room in the back for a third passenger if needed. So, I would think a CX-5 while not perfect for your needs, would work. (Navigation system preferences aside)

The other option not mentioned is what about a four passenger compact pick up truck with a cap on the back? Something like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier? I would think both would be great ski vehicles, though they likely can't be had new in that configuration for under $30K.

dlague

Thule box. You'll get the 7 pairs of skis in, even boots & poles, then have enough room for 3 6ft' heroes (you guys might call them hogies, subs or grinders, have no idea). Been there done that.

We have the Thule Evolution and fitting 7 pair of adult skis is a stretch not to mention other things you mention. I ski on 186 skis and they are too long for the box. As a result they go in last and lay diagonal and that tweaks it while closing.

As far as an SUV - I too have been looking at crossovers and have been wondering about that. I currently have a full size SUV and when it involves 5 or less I can through all the gear in the back with no problems and it is way easier unloading.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

Wife has a Traverse with 3 rows of seats. On day trips just fold 1/3 of each row of seats down. Skis fit in fine. I have a Thule box (bought it for $25 at a yard sale) for overnighters and longer trips. Never put boots in the box, only skis and poles. Have fit 6 pairs of alpine/tele skis plus 4 pairs of x-country skis with poles nothing worse than putting on cold boots. My extended cab truck is used when we have less then 5 of us going.

Cannonball

How about a cargo van?

Seriously though, if you're going to be consistently leaving 5-7 pairs of skis in your car while you are out skiing I'd recommend some tinted windows and a good alarm system.

tnt1234

Glad to hear it. I work on the nav system behind Subaru and 80% of the cars in the US and Europe. I was looking at the Mazda, but walked out when I realized it has a TomTom nav system. Now that I'm developing these systems for a living, I want to have one to use on a day-to-day basis. (It turns out mapping software pays much better than weather for the insurance industry.)

Very cool!

I have a few notes and complaints about the sub. system - mainly start-up time, and I haven't figured out how to alter routes. for example, avoid the GW, or stay on the highway longer etc.... Probably just me though.

Smellytele

Very cool!

I have a few notes and complaints about the sub. system - mainly start-up time, and I haven't figured out how to alter routes. for example, avoid the GW, or stay on the highway longer etc.... Probably just me though.

I hate technology is vehicles. Just something else to go wrong that needs fixing at overblown prices and that is out dated before the car is even paid for. Over engineering is the norm lately and the reason vehicles cost so f'n much. just give me a stripped down vehicle with manual windows and no over blown useless soon to be outdated technology.

Puck it

How about a cargo van?

Seriously though, if you're going to be consistently leaving 5-7 pairs of skis in your car while you are out skiing I'd recommend some tinted windows and a good alarm system.
Only 2 or 3 in the FJ at any given time.

Whitey

I've got a Toyota Tacoma pick up with a cap on the back and I still use a Thule roof box (i.e. I've got more than enough room to get skis in the back but use a roof box anyway). I find getting the skis up and out of the way is a big help. Then I can us the back of the truck for everything else. Step rails on the sides of the truck do make it a lot easier to get stuff in and out of the box because you can stand on them as you are loading stuff in or out of the roof box. I can easily get 7-8 pairs of skis in there, but I specifically bought the larger one (Atlantis) for that reason. When skis are crusted with snow at the end of the day, you really don't want to be throwing them in the back of your car/SUV to melt all over the back/seats.

I take my roof box on and off with every trip. Takes me max 10 minutes, if that. Thule has a good design with 4 "jaws" that close/tighten easily to secure it to the roof rack. Sometimes when we need more passengers than the Toyota can carry - I throw it on the wife's SUV. Lots of flexibility that way. The only real trick is having a place to put the roof box when not in use, they are big and take a lot of room. I carry it by myself to & from the shed in my back yard. They are big but not heavy.

Roof box or nothing, in my view. Open ski racks are horrible if the local DPW is sanding/salting the roads at all when you are driving. You get all that crap on your edges and bindings. Bad deal. In that case I'd put my skis inside before I put them in an exposed rack.

VTKilarney

I hate technology is vehicles. Just something else to go wrong that needs fixing at overblown prices and that is out dated before the car is even paid for. Over engineering is the norm lately and the reason vehicles cost so f'n much. just give me a stripped down vehicle with manual windows and no over blown useless soon to be outdated technology.

I am a sucker and usually buy vehicles with way too many options. Inevitably, I wind up thinking that most were not nearly as cool as I hoped.

However, here are some options that I really thought were worth it:
- Heads Up Display: I've never been more aware of my speed. My insurance rates should drop by quite a bit because I am much less likely to speed.
- Adaptive Cruise Control: This makes cruise control useful in so many more situations. Mine will even work in a traffic jam, so long as the vehicle is not fully stopped for more than 15 or 20 seconds.
- Collision warning and braking: I've yet to need it, but I'm very glad it's there.
- Blind spot warning
- Backup camera

Ironically, one of the least appealing tech options I have in my vehicle is the GPS. My iPhone works just fine, and I don't have to worry about maps being out of date when I use my iPhone.

But at the end of the day, get a vehicle that you like because it is comfortable and drives well. That's the most important thing. You can put a ski rack on just about anything, so don't let that drive your decision.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Same. What matters most to me are handling and available manual transmission. Navigation system I don't care about. I have a phone for that. I use cruise control on highways, but never would need adaptive technology as there just isn't that much traffic in Northern New England. I also put so many miles on my cars that they depreciate so fast I wouldn't get any of the value out of the extra luxuries if I bought them.

Smellytele

Same. What matters most to me are handling and available manual transmission. Navigation system I don't care about. I have a phone for that. I use cruise control on highways, but never would need adaptive technology as there just isn't that much traffic in Northern New England. I also put so many miles on my cars that they depreciate so fast I wouldn't get any of the value out of the extra luxuries if I bought them.
Manual transmissions are starting to go the way of the Dodo. even sports cars are going with automatics such as the 8speed for the corvette.

WoodCore

I always used to carried my skis inside the car, 4-5 pairs at a time until last year. I happened to see the remnants of a nasty accident involving a person carrying skis in the car, it appeared that upon impact the skis became projectiles and went right through the windshield. After seeing this I went out and bought a big Thule box the next day. It easily fits six pair of skis and is a breeze to move between vehicles. More importantly when driving down the highway at 75+ mph, I don't worry about 180cm spears impacting the back of my head.

Smellytele

I always used to carried my skis inside the car, 4-5 pairs at a time until last year. I happened to see the remnants of a nasty accident involving a person carrying skis in the car, it appeared that upon impact the skis became projectiles and went right through the windshield. After seeing this I went out and bought a big Thule box the next day. It easily fits six pair of skis and is a breeze to move between vehicles. More importantly when driving down the highway at 75+ mph, I don't worry about 180cm spears impacting the back of my head.

I did see a smashed box the other day on the side of 93. There were skis broken and bent in half. It was a mess. Must have fallen off someone's roof and got ran over a few times.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Manual transmissions are starting to go the way of the Dodo. even sports cars are going with automatics such as the 8speed for the corvette.

Yup, sucks. I rant about it frequently.

Thankfully Mazda still believes in them. Though I wish they offered MT in an awd vehicle.

VTKilarney

I use cruise control on highways, but never would need adaptive technology as there just isn't that much traffic in Northern New England.
I used to think that too. Trust me, once you get adaptive cruise control you'll see the vast benefit. It's great for passing when you have to let someone get by you first in the left hand lane. It's so good that, as long as someone is in front of me, I don't have to exit cruise control when I go through the tolls in southern New Hampshire. It comes in handy a lot more often than I expected.