• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

Edd

I'm a lifelong Boston driver - I am great at tailing til the next passing zone :)

.......Just because you're in a big steel box doesn't mean you shouldn't care about those around you.

Conflicting sentiments. Boston drivers are the living embodiment of not giving a f*** about the people around them.

cdskier

I'd like to see more law enforcement like this

Whoa...a NJ trooper did that!? There have been numerous times on my commute to work in NJ that I've come across people in the left lane going well under the speed limit. Too bad that trooper wasn't around in those cases. That drives me nuts. I hate being forced to pass someone on the right. Usually I'll flash my high beams a couple times. If they don't move, then I pass on the right and lean on my horn while doing so. On multiple occasions as passing I've seen that the person is sitting on their cell phone talking...

As for someone going exactly the speed limit on a single lane road, I can't really argue too much with that. I'd argue even if there is a line of cars behind them that they are still not obligated to pull over. It might annoy me a bit if I was behind them, but as long as they are going the speed limit I'll deal with it. When I get to a passing zone, I'll pass if safe to do so.

Someone made a comment that if "everyone is going 10mph over the speed limit no one will be pulled over". I wouldn't count on that. It all depends on the mood of the cop. He might want to wait for someone going faster or he might just pick someone at random out of everyone doing 10mph over to pull over. Just because everyone is breaking the law doesn't mean it is ok. A cop can still pull anyone of those people over at their discretion. Personally I usually drive over the speed limit, but I'm not going to bash someone that follows the speed limit exactly in many cases (the big exception being on a multi-lane highway where they do this in the left lane...in that case move over to the right).

SkiFanE

Conflicting sentiments. Boston drivers are the living embodiment of not giving a f*** about the people around them.
LOL - naw....we are very courteous as long as the other person is driving appropriately. And tailing a car length is a survival skill - or else you get nowhere - because that gap is seen as me being courteous to the car moving in front of me. The poor VT subie driver on Storrow Drive at 8a is probably the least courteous of all lmao (and don't worry - they'll be informed many times of that :p )

deadheadskier

Staff member
LOL - naw....we are very courteous as long as the other person is driving appropriately. And tailing a car length is a survival skill - or else you get nowhere - because that gap is seen as me being courteous to the car moving in front of me. The poor VT subie driver on Storrow Drive at 8a is probably the least courteous of all lmao (and don't worry - they'll be informed many times of that :p )

Atta Girl!

We're not the assholes because we let people know when they're failing to properly assimilate to a higher standard of driving efficiency. :lol:

Bene288

Seriously. I love the people from Maine and VT that I see on 128 trying to leave 5 car lengths between them. Nope.

SkiFanE

Hey guys, You all are suffering from a form of misplaced anger. I am not the guy slowing you down. Take today's drive to the river, for instance. The school buses are done, commute is done, there was (almost) nobody coming the other way. I had one person behind me for much of the trip in. Every straightaway and passing zone, no one , and I mean no one, coming. If they can't figure out how to pass me, they seriously need to turn in the man card. Or maybe they were content to follow me, they weren't tailgating.

Someone mentioned courtesy here. How about being courteous enough to leave with a reasonable amount of time that you are not insisting people clear the road for you? Courtesy works both ways.

All this arguing over getting a ticket or not, I am reminded of a ticket I got in my youth (I know, many years ago, but it actually happened to me, so don't tell me it doesn't happen). Are you ready for this? 27 in a 25. Yeah, 2 mph over the limit. I am not aware of if this guy was having a bad day and taking it out on me or whatever, but he wouldn't give me a break or whatever. The next business day, I visit the Police chief, there was some talk about focused enforcement, and much as I pleaded, no break from him. I'm not so sure my best attempt at a polite citizen worked when I became increasingly frustrated. I figured I'll go to court with this one, sure they'll toss it. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. When I walked, you want to take a guess at who was standing next to the bench.....

Now, I try not to let one bad thing affect my life. I don't recall a number, but let's say the fine was $100.00. That'd hurt back then, but ..... Back then, a speeding ticket meant 3 years of increased auto insurance. It went from $400 a year to $1,600 a year. 2 mph cost me $3,700.00 over the next three years. Which is why I say, when you folks are paying my tickets and insurance.....

Just as an aside, my car needed a new tranny almost years later. I was almost back to reasonable insurance. But the speedometer gear was different in the used tranny I was replacing it with. yup, 3 more years. I couldn't fault the officer, 67 in a 55. I had a responsibility to assure my speedometer was correct, and I didn't follow thru. He wasn't giving me a break either. Might be on account of me driving a bright red 72 charger with chrome wheels and traction bars...... Sold it quick after that.

Anyways, like I was saying, I'm not the guy clogging up the hammer lane, nor am I rolling road block when traffic is well over the speed limit (Commute in NJ for example). I go with the flow until the commute is done, and then I get back to speed limit. If for some reason any of you didn't leave early enough to get where you are going, there are plenty of passing opportunities, please feel free to use them, I do not speed up on you in spite. I prefer you get off my butt. But I won't vacate the road because you left too late.

who said anything about being late? Just because I speed doesn't mean I'm late - just means I want to spend less time of my life in my car behind a slowpoke. Consider yourself lucky you can go to SR on a weekday with no traffic whatsoever. BTW - I am not a fast driver (anymore) - but in a 55mph speed zone I'll go about 62 and even through speed traps, not an issue. i am driving safely, the roads and car are designed to handle it. The thing I am most scared of on rt 26 is hitting a deer bounding out into road (close call last winter - guy traveling in opposite lane hit deer dead center). Be better to hit one at 55 than 62.

VTKilarney

Courtesy works both ways.
I haven't seen any indication of that from you. You've gone through a lot of effort to justify why you will never pull over to let a bunch of cars stacked up behind you get by. You are entitled to drive the way you want, but at least be honest about the fact that you don't give a rat's ass about who is stuck behind you.

CoolMike

I do not speed up on you in spite. I prefer you get off my butt. But I won't vacate the road because you left too late.

Driving home from Sugarbush every weekend last year I would always use the cruise control through Vermont. I set the speed at a reasonable rate (usually Speed Limit +5 MPH). Then I use the passing lane to pass slower traffic. The vehicle has a speed up and speed down that increases the set speed by 1 MPH per click. Most people I passed would speed up by +5 MPH as I start to pass them.

Sometimes people would speed up even more. Once in a while you see a very slow driver, catch up to them from the horizon to being 3-4 car lengths behind them in a minute, and then move into the left lane. By the time you are neck and neck with them they are driving your speed or faster. If I am committed to passing I up the speed to overtake them, gain a reasonable distance and then move back into the slow lane. 2 minutes later I've dropped down to my cruising speed and they are a distant speck in my rear-view mirror.

Its the strangest thing about human nature but the overwhelming majority speed up considerably when passing.

hammer

Its the strangest thing about human nature but the overwhelming majority speed up considerably when passing.
People who do that when I'm in the opposing traffic lane passing get cut off...don't care about human nature, speeding up when traffic is overtaking you is unsafe (and I'm guessing it's actually illegal).

I also had a stupid deer hog up the road on me a few years back. Clipped the legs and the deer limped off. Damage appeared minor but still cost over $2K. Would rather hit the deer than swerve off the road though.

If someone is going at/near the posted limit then why should they panic and pull over because a bunch of people behind him/her want to speed?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Borg's drive minivans?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

deadheadskier

Staff member
My brother's GF drives a Mazda MPV minivan with manual transmission. Maybe I can work out a trade. Then there's always the not so trusty VW Microbus.

I won't go down without a fight

drjeff

My brother's GF drives a Mazda MPV minivan with manual transmission. Maybe I can work out a trade. Then there's always the not so trusty VW Microbus.

I won't go down without a fight

I'm happy to say that my wife and I have made it through 12 years of parenthood without owning a minivan! Granted we're fully into the larger SUV world to handle our kid carrying needs, but there isn't currently, nor has there ever been a vehicle in the garage that has had a sliding side door! :)

Although I must admit some some of the minivans out there that I've seen are pretty nice inside.....

Edd

If $ and practicality weren't a concern, the Toyota AWD minivan or a Cadillac AWD station wagon would be my ski cars of choice. Roomy, smooth riding, and snow capable. Yes.