• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

darent

I'm happy to say that my wife and I have made it through 12 years of parenthood without owning a minivan! Granted we're fully into the larger SUV world to handle our kid carrying needs, but there isn't currently, nor has there ever been a vehicle in the garage that has had a sliding side door! :)

Although I must admit some some of the minivans out there that I've seen are pretty nice inside.....
i am in that club also, raised 4 kids and never owned a minivan. always had 4wd truck and a ford escape type suv

hammer

I'm happy to say that my wife and I have made it through 12 years of parenthood without owning a minivan! Granted we're fully into the larger SUV world to handle our kid carrying needs, but there isn't currently, nor has there ever been a vehicle in the garage that has had a sliding side door! :)
Same here, never had a minivan...after our son was born my wife always wanted an SUV. Every time we'd go to get a new family vehicle (all of three times once we had kids) I would bring up the possibility of getting a minivan and it would be promptly dismissed.

AdironRider

Out here in Wyoming, if you have more than three cars backed up behind you and you don't pull over, you get the ticket.

I'm pretty sure UHK has jaywalked before, or used an aerosol can in a manner other than directed. Hypocrite!

And can't you pass on double yellows in VT? Doesn't help in Maine but I do like that in VT for getting around me first types like Uphill.

SkiFanE

All hail the minivan!!!!! After 3rd kid traveling 80% of all weekends to Maine in a grand Cherokee, with 3 kids and a dog became tough. So we looked at 3 row SUVs, and they just didn't seem practical enough - not as easy to get into back row. But we needed AWD. We looked at a few. Then I saw a sienna on the road with AWD label. So we swung by Toyota dealer to check it out and the highlander. When the salesman opened the hatchback - OMG, I was sold. Seriously. My eyes bulged at the space back there. So we bought it. Priciest car I ever bought. When we showed up to brig it home the salesman asked "aren't you excited?" I said "NO! When I'm spending this kind of $ on a convertible I'll be happy" lol.

Our 2006 is at 180k miles and has been a work horse. We can fit 5 people, a dog, a week of groceries/clothes AND 4 bikes inside the van. We travel to lake house in summer, so making that Maine drive all year. Daughter used it to move to her college house - fits a mattress. Fits everything. SUV can't compare. I totally understand how no one wants one - but there is a reason people love them. Hopefully will last 2 more years and then we'll get a small 4 dr pickup - I swore that was our first and last van and we'd run it into ground!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seriously, do you all hear yourselves?

Because you drive faster..... er.... you drive better...... or even because you drive different, when you come up upon me driving the posted legal limit, you are insistent that I am to be "courteous" to YOU,

You are missing the point entirely.

When the MANY wish to proceed at a faster rate of speed than you the SINGULAR, the courtesy should fall on you to let the MANY pass by because you are the outlier; not them. Call it automotive democracy. Your desired speed shouldn't dictate that of the many. You're obviously in no rush; what's it to you to slide over for a few seconds and let the majority proceed at the speed they wish to drive? It will save you a lot of aggravation of people tailgating you and you having to wave them by. It will save everyone else a lot of aggravation because they won't be stuck behind someone holding up traffic. Regardless of what the speed limit signs say, if you're causing traffic behind you, you're driving too slow.

I also, practice what I preach. My wife and I take long drives in the country all the time on the weekends where we're in no particular rush. I'm cognizant of the fact that others most likely aren't out on a sight seeing cruise. I pull over and let faster traffic pass. Maybe they're on their way to work.....

And I say all of this (and I'm sure it's true of others commenting) not because I'm an unsafe maniac speed demon behind the wheel. I've been driving for 24 years. I've had three speeding tickets in my life time. The last one occurred in 2001. The other two in 1992 within six months of getting my license. As Skifanee pointed out, it's not about leaving on time. It's about wanting to spend less time traveling.

gmcunni

You are missing the point entirely.

When the MANY wish to proceed at a faster rate of speed than you the SINGULAR, the courtesy should fall on you to let the MANY pass by because you are the outlier; not them. Call it automotive democracy. Your desired speed shouldn't dictate that of the many. You're obviously in no rush; what's it to you to slide over for a few seconds and let the majority proceed at the speed they wish to drive? It will save you a lot of aggravation of people tailgating you and you having to wave them by. It will save everyone else a lot of aggravation because they won't be stuck behind someone holding up traffic. Regardless of what the speed limit signs say, if you're causing traffic behind you, you're driving too slow.

so because everyone wants to speed (break the law) it is OK and the lone law abiding citizen needs to concede?

so when they are rioting in the streets and looting it is OK to join them because everyone is doing it?

VTKilarney

so because everyone wants to speed (break the law) it is OK and the lone law abiding citizen needs to concede?

so when they are rioting in the streets and looting it is OK to join them because everyone is doing it?

That's the biggest straw man argument that I have seen in quite some time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's the biggest straw man argument that I have seen in quite some time.

+1

Gmcunni, I have great respect for you, but it's not like we're asking UHK to look the other way while we rob a bank. This is the equivalent of asking UHK, "instead of standing in the way, let us take a walk across the street even though the crosswalk sign box has a hand up". Going 5-8 mph over the speed limit on a state highway isn't a felony. It may not seem like much to him, but for those of us traveling up from the flat lands; that bit of extra speed can create a 30-45 minute time savings over the course of a long drive. Trying to save to time. That's all people are trying to do.

gmcunni

Gmcunni, I have great respect for you,
as i do you.

That's all people are trying to do.

i get it.. i speed, i've been stuck behind someone who "is in my way". i curse and swear at them from my position too close to their rear bumper to be safe. but you guys are piling on. not that UHK needs to be defended in any way, he's a honey badger, he don't give a shit (and he shouldn't).

it is like the left hand lane is for passing only argument .. get out of the left lane.. it is illegal to be there unless you are passing. yes, going 85 in a 65 is illegal too but that doesn't matter, get out of my way.

gmcunni

btw, i had a 2008 CRV and thought it handled great in the snow.. better than the Pilot we had before that.

i still vote for the Subi Outback for OP's SUV choice.

cdskier

it is like the left hand lane is for passing only argument .. get out of the left lane.. it is illegal to be there unless you are passing. yes, going 85 in a 65 is illegal too but that doesn't matter, get out of my way.

Hah! I've made that same argument before to people and they never get it!

yeggous

I started getting some prices on Outbacks today. Basically everything in stock is a Limited model over $30k. Ouch.

It looks like I can get a Premium trim for $28k.

Given the price point I've started to sweet talk my wife. I'm trying to convince her to take my Santa Fe and I'll drive her Elantra. Of course all of this is conditioned on her letting me get a Chevy Silverado 2500 to park next to the Elantra.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

our 2015 outback ltd (2.5l) was 32 or 33.

but wife loves it, declared it her fav car ever.

Yes, but at that price I can get a truck. I'd much rather have the truck.

gmcunni

Yes, but at that price I can get a truck. I'd much rather have the truck.

you are in the car biz, did you check the subaru vip program ?

http://vip.subaru.com/vip/index.jsp

THE SUBARU OF AMERICA (SOA) VIP PARTNERS PROGRAM

Introduction

The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program offering eligible SOA marketing affiliate members the opportunity to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles at 2% below dealer invoice cost.

Last edited:

dlague

Still, I have the feeling that when you folks are driving thru, none of you give a rats about any other driver, if they are not driving at your "style", you are insistent they get off the road and let you motor on thru. Oh yes, because we are the majority....

like skiing!?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone