• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why I won't be skiing much this year.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm glad you brought this private matter to everyone's attention Jens. This community, at least to me, is more than just gear, double diamonds, steezy stoke and joking around. It's real people, and great people at that, who are here for laughs and shared passion, but always here for support as well when the most important issues in life come up.

DeadHead came closest to what I was going to say. Even though you don't know many of us, please know your online friends are here for you if need a place to share your experience, get support or just to express your fears/hopes/successes. Prayers to you, your wife and family.
I totally agree. It's easy to forget how spread out we are as everyone here is so supportive and it feels like such a closer-knit community. We're here for you, rooting for you and your wife the whole way! If there is anything we can do, just let us know!

MRGisevil

Just keep doing what you're doing. Go out and ski a lot and put up TR's with lots of pics and videos. And if I do make it out to an AZ event this winter, I'll accept a sympathy beer. :-D

Dude! I'm gonna make you and your wifey poo the BEST crash-montage vid (because laughter IS the best medicine!) to keep you entertained, complete with spliced play by play commentary by Mike Tirico and Dick Vermeil..... and, and star wipes! Oh, ho, ho, I have it all mapped out in my head already!

Only the best of wishes to your family in these upcoming months. We'll have to all go out to dinner when she's on the mend- Timmy and I aren't too far away and know loads of good places between here and your neck of the woods. : )))))

wa-loaf

Worst week ever.

Not good news here.

Last Wednesday my wife went back into the hospital. She's had increasing pain in her back and abdomen over the last week or so. She was in initially to have a transfusion for low red blood cell count. While she was there she was having a lot of pain, so she went on to the ER to get a CT scan to see what was up. After a long night in the ER waiting to get into the scan and get results things were not good. We held a family (her mom, brother and sister and their spouses) meeting with the doc. Her liver is not recovering as it should and is operating at only 10%. The cancer is back and growing rapidly in her abdomen and has spread to her ovaries and is likely back in the liver. Chemo under these circumstances will likely only make her sicker and at the very least cause her to spend a lot of time at the hospital rather than at home. So we've decided to forgo the chemo and make her as comfortable as possible in the remaining months she has, so she can make the most of her time with the kids and the rest of the family.

I'm losing my best friend and partner and all kinds of plans and dreams are going out the window. But worst of all my kids are losing their mother and that's the hardest part to deal with.

Not sure how much I'll be posting here in the near future, we'll see how everything goes. I need to be with my family, but skiing does clear my head and is good therapy.

Thanks
Jens

bvibert

Staff member
That's terrible news Jens. I'm so, so sorry to hear it. Cherish the time you have with her.

I wish you the best of luck with everything. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

If there's anything we can do to help please let us know.

WJenness

Not good news here.

Last Wednesday my wife went back into the hospital. She's had increasing pain in her back and abdomen over the last week or so. She was in initially to have a transfusion for low red blood cell count. While she was there she was having a lot of pain, so she went on to the ER to get a CT scan to see what was up. After a long night in the ER waiting to get into the scan and get results things were not good. We held a family (her mom, brother and sister and their spouses) meeting with the doc. Her liver is not recovering as it should and is operating at only 10%. The cancer is back and growing rapidly in her abdomen and has spread to her ovaries and is likely back in the liver. Chemo under these circumstances will likely only make her sicker and at the very least cause her to spend a lot of time at the hospital rather than at home. So we've decided to forgo the chemo and make her as comfortable as possible in the remaining months she has, so she can make the most of her time with the kids and the rest of the family.

I'm losing my best friend and partner and all kinds of plans and dreams are going out the window. But worst of all my kids are losing their mother and that's the hardest part to deal with.

Not sure how much I'll be posting here in the near future, we'll see how everything goes. I need to be with my family, but skiing does clear my head and is good therapy.

Thanks
Jens

Jens,

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I can't even imagine what you are all going through.

Wachusett and beer offer is still on the table... and will always be.

If there's anything else I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

-w

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Not good news here.

Thanks
Jens
I am so Sorry. That is as hard as it gets in life....Prayers are with you and the kids.

Beetlenut

So sorry to hear of your wife's turn for the worse, my prayers go out to her, you and your family. Normally I don't post in these type of threads, as the pain of loosing my mom and other close friends to this terrible disease is still too fresh and painful to think about. Somehow you'll get through this, I don't know how, but it's what she would want, and she'll always be at your side.

Greg

Staff member

Oh man, Jens. I'm so sorry to hear all this. Just be the best dad you can be. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

2knees

i cant express my sorrow sufficiently. my prayers for you and your family.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jens,

I wish for your wife nothing but good days, surrounded by you and the kids. It is hard, sometimes impossible but as family, sticking together, you will all get through this. I wish the remaining time be filled with smiles, happiness and love. Each of you has to get through this; it's your family who needs you most just as you need them.

While the AZ community is very removed and "distant", remember that we all do care (despite all the jest) and would be honored to help in any, even the smallest way. We feel helpless, as I'm sure you feel not only helpless but burdened and full of grief. Of that, we cannot relate. My thoughts, prayers and wishes to you, your wife and your kids during this most difficult of experiences.
Best,
Bill

Not good news here.

Thanks
Jens

My heart goes out to you and your family...so incredibly sad..

Glenn

I can't even imagine what you're going through Jens. :-( I'm so sorry to hear that.